thoughts on an idea?

Victory Element

Hello all,

it's been a while since i've hung around here and posted like I used to do, but I briefly return with an idea in mind. Lately, I've been brainstorming and creating a bunch of halo fiction in my imagination that's mixed with concepts from other movies/books that intrigue me. I've begun to create rough outlines of a "plot" and a few character ideas. So, i've been debating if I should try to develop an actual story out of my ideas so far, and this seems like the right place to come to. The most convenient way for me to bring this story to life would probably be making episodic posts in the forums, with each post containing the next piece of the story in chronological order.

Currently, i'm recovering from a concussion, so I cannot spend much time on a computer. I can use this time to add more detail to my plot and characters. I can probably begin the posts in a few weeks.

Also, I am not an experienced author, so this may not be the highest quality work. My motives are purely for entertainment and having a good experience as well. I will try to deliver a good experience to the readers and I have very high standards for the quality of my work. I hope to capture many dark, mysterious events that could often be found in a survival/horror genre, but still hold the majestic side of halo fiction within the roots. I will aim to develop strong, relatable characters that will bring out the full potential of the storytelling as well.

So, the question here is, would an anyone read it? i'm looking to see anyone would have interest in following this story as I post episodic chapters of this plot. I would try not to make the chapters long and time consuming as they are released, but I hope to fill each with a satisfying amount of content. Leave a response with any thoughts of this plan. Does it sound engaging? Or is this not a good idea? Why? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you for reading

Edited by Victory Element
  • Like 4

You brought up a good point zebra. I will make a "table of contents" with links to each chapter. I also will try to create a short "glossary" at the end of each chapter to explain certain references to halo fiction and leave links to sites like halopedia for more information.

Also, if it wasn't clear, I intend to make this a serious story. It's not just for kicks and humor

Edited by Victory Element
  • Like 2

You brought up a good point zebra. I will make a "table of contents" with links to each chapter. I also will try to create a short "glossary" at the end of each chapter to explain certain references to halo fiction and leave links to sites like halopedia for more information.

Also, if it wasn't clear, I intend to make this a serious story. It's not just for kicks and humor

That's a brilliant idea.

Because with so many of the other writing people have posted on here it begins to get hard to follow when the always post further and further down the thread. lol

Sorry to hear about the concussion. And I would love to read your writings. :)

• Like 1

Hello all,

it's been a while since i've hung around here and posted like I used to do, but I briefly return with an idea in mind. Lately, I've been brainstorming and creating a bunch of halo fiction in my imagination that's mixed with concepts from other movies/books that intrigue me. I've begun to create rough outlines of a "plot" and a few character ideas. So, i've been debating if I should try to develop an actual story out of my ideas so far, and this seems like the right place to come to. The most convenient way for me to bring this story to life would probably be making episodic posts in the forums, with each post containing the next piece of the story in chronological order.

Currently, i'm recovering from a concussion, so I cannot spend much time on a computer. I can use this time to add more detail to my plot and characters. I can probably begin the posts in a few weeks.

Also, I am not an experienced author, so this may not be the highest quality work. My motives are purely for entertainment and having a good experience as well. I will try to deliver a good experience to the readers and I have very high standards for the quality of my work. I hope to capture many dark, mysterious events that could often be found in a survival/horror genre, but still hold the majestic side of halo fiction within the roots. I will aim to develop strong, relatable characters that will bring out the full potential of the storytelling as well.

So, the question here is, would an anyone read it? i'm looking to see anyone would have interest in following this story as I post episodic chapters of this plot. I would try not to make the chapters long and time consuming as they are released, but I hope to fill each with a satisfying amount of content. Leave a response with any thoughts of this plan. Does it sound engaging? Or is this not a good idea? Why? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you for reading

I would say go for it!  If you want to be an author then write as much as you can.  However, fan-fiction at least to me is a little bit difficult.  I say that because you have to build on top of what's already been written.  You could never really feel like it's your own creation in my opinion.  I personally would love to be a part of creating the Halo universe even if it wasn't entirely my idea.  I'd definitely follow your work.  I like to write as well (I haven't done much and don't write as often as I want to).  Maybe we can exchange ideas?  I've always wanted to write some fiction about the grunts.  There could be a million hilarious stories told about grunts!  My suggestion would be to maybe create a fictional character that doesn't necessarily have a huge impact on the canonical arc.  In that way you could have huge creative license to write what you want without having to ask if it fits or not.  I'd be interested in writing a piece on what it would be like for an average Sangheili to take a trip to a 7 Eleven (post-war of course) and experience his first brain-freeze after trying with difficulty to slurp down a slushee.   :laughing:  

@chuey recluse

Thanks for the support! I have figured out that fan fiction isn't as easy as it sounds, just like you put it. My characters are completely made up though, and should have no effect on the real events in the halo universe. The hard part is finding locations that actually exist in the halo universe to use, and finding motives for certain characters that make sense with the information that already exists.

But as I said, my story is going to be serious for the most part. I don't think that our desires really cross paths, so I feel that exchanging ideas will not accomplish much. I've got nothing against the comical side of halo though. I would love to hear what you can come up with, so let me know if you are going to be doing any writing

@Victory Element  I was just throwing a thought out there.  I like to do serious stuff too.  One of the reasons I love the Halo universe so much is because of the amount of effort and time put into crafting its story arc.  Halo is full of allegory and symbolism that causes one to think deep about real issues.  I could talk for hours and hours about the deeper meanings within Halo that have been artistically woven into its fabric to create a tale that isn't just entertaining but also mind blowing.  You see I never bought the games for the multiplayer.  Halo sticks out from the crowd because it isn't just about getting millions of young adult men to experience an adrenaline rush from simulated combat.  I find it interesting that as popular as Halo is it doesn't get as much attention as COD.  I think in a sense that's a good thing.  Halo generally appeals to the select group of fans that have been there since CE (not all I admit).  Halo fans Believe in a Hero.  The most important ideal of Halo is that we "need a hero" because oftentimes we find ourselves helpless when facing impossible odds.  Master Chief petty officer John 117 is that embodiment of service and self-sacrifice that humanity needs at those critical life-or-death moments.  A powerful picture of that is when John chose to detonate the nuke and save humanity despite the fact that that would mean sacrificing himself and Cortana (the only person/woman/thing he felt close to and loved).  I like to write funny pieces because they're relatively easy and light-hearted.  Sometimes I draw little comic strips for fun.  What I'm trying to say though is that I do like to be serious but being serious is straining.  I've had an idea for creating a universe that's taken me months just to write the outline for (and I'm still not done).  On top of that I've got to worry about college and I'm in the process of finding a part-time job.  Anyway my advice is to just start writing.  Keeping clicking away at those keys because becoming a good writer is a labor of love. :thumbup:

I wanna be the first to read it. I love halo fabrics of all kinds comical, or drama or action or (cough) romance...don't judge... but I would like to see a preview of it, you know just one or two paragraphs...

P.S. I also imagine what songs go in the background of the story to help me capture the mood better like in horror have a slow low toned beat going on r in action having a metal beat happening. And I've seen that some dubstep helps when doing a scene about ODSTS dropping...the music helps me when I write.