What is all the fuss over a stupid rank?

BaconShelf

this thread is really just about casuals, casuals ruin games, developers go after them because theres money in them and how they go after them is dumbing a game down(reducing skill, removal of competitive elements) which sells games but kill the franchise this has happened to alot of games halo, gears of war, world of warcraft.

basically the mentality is if we make a game with a BR starting weapon, no perks, no customization and trueskill ranks its going to put off the casuals

this thread is really just about casuals, casuals ruin games, developers go after them because theres money in them and how they go after them is dumbing a game down(reducing skill, removal of competitive elements) which sells games but kill the franchise this has happened to alot of games halo, gears of war, world of warcraft.

basically the mentality is if we make a game with a BR starting weapon, no perks, no customization and trueskill ranks its going to put off the casuals

Out of interest, me buying the game for campaign (Always have done since 2) and forge, with multiplayer as a side thing, would that count me as a 'Casual'?

And I do not think it is fair to say casuals 'Ruin' the game. they are still a large portion of the fanbase and like it or not, 343i is a company and has to rake in a profit. Either way, I don't care about loadouts or not. I'm still going to buy the game.

i didnt say there was anything wrong with casuals but when game developers develop a game for casuals it always ruins the title. as for you i would say u were a casual. campaign is a big part of halo as a series but its the multiplayer that gives it its true fanbase thats what has made the billions of hours of game time on xbox live you may not like multiplayer but its the core of halos success 

What Fraggy says is true though. Competitive/Hardcore gamers only make up a small portion of the total gaming community with casual gamers far out numbering us. So when a developer sees this they make their game to suite both types of gamers. With a FPS you can't evenly balance a game for both casual and hard core gamers. Just won't work. So with the casual gaming community being larger it makes sense to tailor a game more towards them to attract a bigger amount of sellers.

• 2 weeks later...

Why add it if it won't be visible? You want to know why people are complaining? Why are they showing peoples CR Rank then? Why not just show the xbox live name of everyone in the game. Take away all ranks. If you are complaining about people complaining about it not showing a CSR rank, then we should take out everything except for the gamertags.

Whether you want a 1-50 ranking system or not (personally I'm quite indifferent)... You've got to admit that in Halo 2 there were a lot of amazing moments where it was 48-47 and everybody wanted that win so they could move up a rank. I remember a few matches quite vividly to be honest. That sort of feeling hasn't been recreated in any other Halo game to date if I'm going to be completely honest.

The thing I don't really get is why they would take it out. If a lot of people aren't interested in it then they could just not look at it.

To you it might not be a big thing, and that's fine. But if it's something that just doesn't bother you, what's the problem in bringing it back? Indeed, why is there so much fuss about keeping it hidden?

Some people really would like to see a ranking system back: if nothing else, it's nice to be able to look at what rank everyone else is in the pregame lobby and work out if the teams are roughly even, or if one side is going to have a big advantage, which just doesn't happen with the SR system because there are people at rank 10 who are amazing and people at 129 who aren't. If the matchmaking system is doing its job properly then there aren't any problems with people getting bullied or trashtalked because of their rank, because everyone in a game is roughly even. If there's big differences that's a problem with the matchmaking system and not the ranking system.

There's not really any reason for not making it visible. The ranking system exists, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be easily viewable from in-game. Most of us who are making a 'fuss' over it are doing so just because the current system isn't convenient and because our ranks are important to us.

• Like 1

Yeah, the message is that you are better than them.

That is what the ranks are about. Competition. Competition is a part of human nature, and the foundation of western political and societal structure. That is why there is such a big fuss over ranks. Why, you would have to be communist to not like competition.

Edited by FleshBack

I don't really give a damn about rank as long as enjoy the game.

To answer a question- I posted this topic because it is very annoying about how much people rage about this. Don't get me wrong, people posting is great and I love reading the well worded posts but I think its been taken a little overboard.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with competition but not liking competition does not make you a communist.  Having competition in every aspect of society does not make for a well balanced one.  I enjoy a bit of competition but like to chill and not be competitive sometimes too.

Ranks are a good thing as they are important to many people, if you dont care, dont worry.  People trashing low ranked people is competition gone wrong.  Teabaggers.

• Like 1

Bacon, if you were any more biased you could work for a cable new network. How is that possibly the best answer when it doesn't even answer the original question of the OP?

What don't you like about competition? It ensures that the best of the best are at the top. On an economic level, it prevents monopolization of recources and provides us with a variety of high quality, cheaper products. There is nothing wrong with competition as I said, it is human nature. The only ones that don't like it are the ones that aren't even competing which in that case their perspective is more or less irrelevant. You can't be ambivalent or indifferent to something and expect to understand it. That is the fallacy here.

• Like 1

Bacon, if you were any more biased you could work for a cable new network. How is that possibly the best answer when it doesn't even answer the original question of the OP?

What don't you like about competition? It ensures that the best of the best are at the top. On an economic level, it prevents monopolization of recources and provides us with a variety of high quality, cheaper products. There is nothing wrong with competition as I said, it is human nature. The only ones that don't like it are the ones that aren't even competing which in that case their perspective is more or less irrelevant. You can't be ambivalent or indifferent to something and expect to understand it. That is the fallacy here.

Having an opinion regardless of your level of education about a subject is also human nature.  Look at many peoples opinion about any number of scientifically supported subjects and you will see a serious lack of understanding but a very strong opinion non the less. 

I do agree that most people complaining are not playing competitively but even these people often dont like to be low ranked even though it really shouldnt matter. 

Not sure if it was targeted at me but i never said anything about not liking competition i just think it has its place.

Far be it for me to go and and say people are not allowed to have their own opinions. That I won't argue. I would like to understand why they have said opinions, or what they have against people of opposing opinions, which appears to be the case here.

Very true.  This often confuses me when someones only answer to why they have a particular opinion is 'i dont like it' or 'thats just what i think'. 

Its always worth taking the time to think about why you have particular emotions attatched to viewpoints and why certain emotional reactions are triggered by people offering a different/opposing view.

• Like 1

Personally, I am not competitive at all and think people take it too seriously sometimes. My whole point of the thread was to try and see the argument from people who aren't acting like 8-year olds. I'm fine with competition but it is taken too overboard.

As for best answer thing, wanted to see what it did

Well, the 'Best Answer' is based on the opinion of the OP: 'best' is a very subjective thing. Maybe you should suggest that it's chosen by the highest number of likes in a thread or something instead?

Personally, I am not competitive at all and think people take it too seriously sometimes. My whole point of the thread was to try and see the argument from people who aren't acting like 8-year olds. I'm fine with competition but it is taken too overboard.

Well, if you want a really good discussion, maybe you shouldn't say that everyone who disagrees with you is acting like a child. It generally doesn't foster a very good atmosphere for talking.

Not being competitive is completely fine. If you just want to start up a game and have fun, and don't care if you win or lose as long as you're enjoying yourself, then that's great to hear and don't let anyone take that away from you. But if that's really what you think - if you genuinely don't care about any rank - why are you so opposed to it?

Some of us feel don't get the most fun possible out of a game just because we're playing it: we need the adrenaline that comes with risk, with something being on the line. It's the difference between a friendly game of poker for chips, and playing a game of poker with real money at stake. That's how we get our fun - that excitement, that feeling that however this game turns out can and will have real consequences, rather than everything just going back to how it was before as if the game had never been played. Most of us aren't making a fuss over a skill ranking system because we want to show off how great we are, or make fun of people who aren't as good, or whatever - though undoubtedly that's the case for a few people. Most of us just want it because it makes the game more fun for us - and is letting us enjoy ourselves really such a bad thing?

• Like 1

If you didn't play Halo CE, 2, & 3 Watch this video if you want to understand why those of us who did are upset. 

You know, I hate stuff like this. Just casually dismissing anyone who disagrees with you and saying that it's because they didn't play the previous games. As though everyone who played the original trilogy of games has the exact same bloody opinions.

Plenty of people who played the first three games are happy with Halo 4. Plenty of people who've never touched those aren't happy with the newest instalment. As a very longtime fan of the Halo series, the thing that irritates me most is when other people claim to speak on my behalf if they don't share my opinion, or dismiss my affection for the series just because of that conflict.