My review of the Team Throwdown playlist.

Billy Mays

So I'll start this post/review by saying I really like the Team Throwdown playlist, it challenges me and feels super competitive just like the MLG playlist in Halo 3. But I do have a few problems with it.

First, I always seem to get paired up with people who are much better in skill then I am. I'll admit I'm not the most skilled player, but I'm not the biggest BK out there either. I don't really find it fun when my team and I get matched up with players who are much better than us, and completely embarrass us. I thought Halo 4 had some sort of "behind the scenes" skill searching system that pairs you up with players of similar skill? I have never really had too many problems with skill until this playlist, I always seem to get matched up with players who are around the same skill level as I am.

Secondly, there are so many players that quit and it sucks when that happens, even if they're not on your team. This is why I feel Halo 4 needs some sort of penalty against players who quit match making games early. In playlists like team throwdown where there is no join in progress, it really gives the players a negative experience when players quit early.

In conclusion, the Team Throwdown playlist is a very challenging but fun playlist. While the playlist it self doesn't really have a problem IMO, it is Halo 4's problems that sort of affect the playlist.

Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 1

I wish that the loadouts all started with BR. That 1 loadout with DMR catches my eye and usually I'll pick it, but I do not want plasmad and there are no armor abilities. Unlike with the BR they get the good accessories haha. But if I'm in a firefight, I'd rather be handling the DMR :(

That's only for the deluxe game types, in anything else you start with a BR and you can pick up DMRs, light rifles, and carbines around the map.

• Like 1

Haven't played it, but I really dislike it when playlists that aren't specifically MLG for the sake of MLG mess with the values (Such as speed, damage values). And it's bad enough when they take off radar and crap.

I hate it when you practice playing Slayer in the basic Team Slayer playlist for oh so long, and when a ranked, competitive playlist finally comes out, it plays nothing like it at all. The guns are different, the maps are different, the stats are different, the loadouts, everything. It's irritating.

why is mlg in the conversation? this is team throwdown. if anything its like hardcore.

I Love all of it but team deluxe Never will touch that if i do i Leave I hate Op Dmr being a loadout weapon starting out

The People leaving is annoying but understandable when your doing bad and theres no incentive to win people leave. Out of 6 matches only 1 of them was legitly 4v4. It doesn't help when 343 starts the game 4 on 2 or 3 on 4. -.-

Edited by TornadoFlame
  • Like 1

why is mlg in the conversation? this is team throwdown. if anything its like hardcore.

I Love all of it but team deluxe Never will touch that if i do i Leave I hate Op Dmr being a loadout weapon starting out

The People leaving is annoying but understandable when your doing bad and theres no incentive to win people leave. Out of 6 matches only 1 of them was legitly 4v4. It doesn't help when 343 starts the game 4 on 2 or 3 on 4. -.-

I've also had that happen where the team numbers were unbalanced. It's pretty irritating. As for the whole MLG thing, it's fairly similar to MLG/AGL settings so.

• Like 1

I think you should work on improving your "game" before you step back into the playlist if it is such an issue. How are people more skilled than you? Are they more coordinated? Chances are they may have mics and are communicating. Are they beating you at 1v1s? Then you need to practice your BRing skills.

I've also had that happen where the team numbers were unbalanced. It's pretty irritating. As for the whole MLG thing, it's fairly similar to MLG/AGL settings so.

alg probably, there never was a mlg setting i do not beleive. and yeah The unbalanced in team has made this playlist unplayable. 10 games in a row 1 was 4 on 4. from the start

We joined a game with 6 people i'm like oh cool 3v3. Nope 4v2... :/ Everytime 343 makes a step forward they always take 2 steps back..

Theres no ranking system and theres no join in progress -------->EPIC FAIL

seriously though this is bad, although i played a 2 on 4 on shutout and won in epic fashion

wow this is dumb. I got host booted when i played with my friends and couldn't join back in no wonder That really makes it dumb -.-

Making it join in progress is an easy fix.

i wish they made it so only the person who left can join back so if you dc you can invite that guy in game and he came back -.-

wow this is dumb. I got host booted when i played with my friends and couldn't join back in no wonder That really makes it dumb -.-

i wish they made it so only the person who left can join back so if you dc you can invite that guy in game and he came back -.-

You actually got booted though, people are quitting based on what map is voted for. Join in progress needs to be added if theres no ranking system. Once the ranking system is put in, join in progress might not need to be in.

You actually got booted though, people are quitting based on what map is voted for. Join in progress needs to be added if theres no ranking system. Once the ranking system is put in, join in progress might not need to be in.

well if its team deluxe i leave. but 9/10 of my games people leave before game starts. yeah we need a Jip till ranking system.

That's only for the deluxe game types, in anything else you start with a BR and you can pick up DMRs, light rifles, and carbines around the map.

Havnt played a lot since I prefer to go in with at least a semi team, but good to know. I heard about straight up BR starts and picking up DMRs, glad to know its there, I just get unlucky haha

Just so you know, while I can't offer you any answers about people quitting, it's very easy to understand/explain the skill thing.

You start at 1, so does everyone else, so when a playlist is new you're facing people from all kinds of skill levels. After all, they can't have a ranking if they've never played a game in the playlist, can they? The system needs you (and them) to play games in order to understand how good you are at that playlist and place you appropriately.

So the problem you were experiencing is very likely the result of 2 things:

1. Players aren't placed in their appropriate tiers yet because the playlist is new

2. Players are trying harder in the playlist because it's the "competitive" one (Don't underestimate the influence of people tryharding)

BTW the "new playlist" effect on Trueskill is one reason why I actually liked playing newer playlists back when I was better at the game, because I had strong basics. So while everyone else is struggling on new maps and settings I tend to shine. Once everyone gets used to the new feel I get put in my place. The point of this paragraph isn't to brag, it's to show you that players are aware of the Trueskill system, how it works, and how to take advantage of it. I never created a secondary account or anything back in Halo 3, but even as much as I argue for the sanctity of the Trueskill system I've "poached" before. I enjoyed waiting for a playlist to "settle" - as in everyone has been playing it for a while and has been sorted into their proper Trueskill levels - then I'd start it up because all the lowest level players had sifted to the bottom and I would start out at level 1.

As for people quitting, that's a Halo 4 fail and finds its way into every playlist, not just Team Throwdown. People probably quit MORE in Team Throwdown because people are tryharding and beating them badly, but they would have quit too much anyway.