Why aim assist cannot be removed...

Delpen9

I explained it wrong. I didn't notice until I just re-read what I wrote. The "3" setting is for the amount of radians that the reticule is away from the enemy. Meaning, that where the video places the reticule and is still red, is more than likely exactly still a "3" for that settings. The range at which most weapons are effective with those results, is usually seen at between 12 to 24 world units. Now I have yet to exactly reviel the float numbers for those particular fields of the weapons, but they do vary on every single weapon.

I don't know if you've cracked Halo 4's code or anything, but I suspect the ranges are greater in this game than in previous games. That may not be the "usual" but for me there is evidence enough for me to believe players are getting more help than previously and at longer ranges.

Here's why:

As other people have said, and this is only anecdotal evidence if you haven't experienced it but I have experienced it, but it seems very noticeable at ranges exceeding even 5 Master Chief lengths to have your reticule forcibly dragged off of one opponent when another passes in between them and you (The setting moving your reticule closer to targets is picking up a closer target). This has gotten me killed on multiple occasions, and it tends to be at the range typically referred to as "mid-range" where people like to have fights with marksman rifles.

I also have the benefit of being in an organization of players who do research on the game. They've found the aim assist you receive is related to the weapon you're using and has ranges roughly equivalent to the weapon's intended range.

As for the "magnetism" of the actual projectiles, I'll just re-post this video that has been posted many times in reference to this aspect of the game. (I would skip to 2:23 to protect sanity, it's a very boring video, but the data is good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWaDwsGb1c0

The projectile magnetism is not the topic being discussed in this thread, but it definitely appears at longer ranges than you suggest are normal.

As for aim assist and sensitivity, I was saying the aim assist your receive is not dependent on your sensitivity. I play on 7, I don't believe I would be able to land shots effectively without aim assistance of one kind or another. As I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't argue for its removal, just that the amount of assistance players receive be decreased. As it is now everyone can very easily land shots which makes everyone more dangerous without any increase to survivability.

Both I and twinreaper talked about bullet magnetism earlier in the post. The amount of radians a gun can aim assist at doesn't change but the distance that it can shoot at and the magnetism does change. Also, your reticule isn't forcibly dragged it is slowed.

The amount of aim assist you recieve is not dependant on your controller sensitivity yet if your sensitivity was lowered to that of aim assist you wouldn't need aim assist anymore(though that would create lethargic gameplay). - It would be interesting to see a decrease in aim assist...

Ok, speaking in code and all that is fine, but you get to a point where your experience tells you something and if you have enough experience you learn to trust it.

I am an experienced player. I'm not that good, but I've played a lot. Your reticule IS forcibly dragged, and it has been that way ever since Halo CE. It isn't dragged far and it isn't dragged fast, but it is dragged. If you had a bunch of enemies running around a few feet in front of you then your reticule would try and follow them. You don't catch it when you're fighting enemies as much because you're TRYING to aim at them, but when you're just in a custom game for a separate purpose and you're not on the same team you can see you reticule trying to follow players.

I also don't know much about how much more aim assist there is in this game versus previous games, but I DO know that the DMR is much easier to use than the BR ever was in previous games.

The fact that the DMR is hitscan and laser accurate helps. The fact that you move slower than you did previous games also helps. I do not know that the aim assist is greater than it was in previous games, but I DO know that it WILL move your reticule as it sees fit. I don't think I would be any good without it, so I'm not arguing for it to be removed, but I do know how it works. The bullet magnetism thing is a different story, I don't see it as often in-game because I don't fire until I'm aiming directly at my target. I DO see the aim assist though.

My experience tells me the aim assist is there, it moves your reticule, and I am no good without it, even though it has gotten me killed multiple times. That video tells me the bullet magnetism is there, because when I have fired at someone and hit when I should have missed I always thought it was latency.

With all that in mind my original purpose in posting was to say that your subject line is "cannot be removed" and that particular argument isn't necessary, because people who know what they're talking about aren't arguing for it to be removed. People who don't know what they're talking about reveal this quickly and get ignored. Most players know they get programmed assistance of one form or another in a console shooter.

Ok, speaking in code and all that is fine, but you get to a point where your experience tells you something and if you have enough experience you learn to trust it.

I am an experienced player. I'm not that good, but I've played a lot. Your reticule IS forcibly dragged, and it has been that way ever since Halo CE. It isn't dragged far and it isn't dragged fast, but it is dragged. If you had a bunch of enemies running around a few feet in front of you then your reticule would try and follow them. You don't catch it when you're fighting enemies as much because you're TRYING to aim at them, but when you're just in a custom game for a separate purpose and you're not on the same team you can see you reticule trying to follow players.

I also don't know much about how much more aim assist there is in this game versus previous games, but I DO know that the DMR is much easier to use than the BR ever was in previous games.

The fact that the DMR is hitscan and laser accurate helps. The fact that you move slower than you did previous games also helps. I do not know that the aim assist is greater than it was in previous games, but I DO know that it WILL move your reticule as it sees fit. I don't think I would be any good without it, so I'm not arguing for it to be removed, but I do know how it works. The bullet magnetism thing is a different story, I don't see it as often in-game because I don't fire until I'm aiming directly at my target. I DO see the aim assist though.

My experience tells me the aim assist is there, it moves your reticule, and I am no good without it, even though it has gotten me killed multiple times. That video tells me the bullet magnetism is there, because when I have fired at someone and hit when I should have missed I always thought it was latency.

With all that in mind my original purpose in posting was to say that your subject line is "cannot be removed" and that particular argument isn't necessary, because people who know what they're talking about aren't arguing for it to be removed. People who don't know what they're talking about reveal this quickly and get ignored. Most players know they get programmed assistance of one form or another in a console shooter.

I see that I'm frustrating you here, or atleast provoking you to argue with me in some way so I will stop arguing. The"cannot be removed" is necessary because this thread was geared toward anyone willing to read it, and hopefully those who don't understand aim assist and misconcieve it's importance. This is enlightening those people while giving the already educated halo players a precise reason why aim assist cannot be removed just for the sake of knowing why?

To put this in perspective; We all know that humans are sentient beings but we don't know why? So someone tells us why and the role you are playing here is the person who disregards the answer because they feel it is unimportant...

Finally, we aren't speaking in code, we are writing in English, which it seems to me that you understand just fine.