Should 343 introduce a punishment for quitting during a game??

ProudDrunkIrish

Wow you must be the god of validiy so.. what does our team mates being bad have to do with having fun??? actually what does winning or losing have to do with having fun???? I have fun win or lose as do most people, this is a game and there is little or no difference between winning and losing except a stat.

Nobody including myself forces me to stay in games where my team are bad infact its quit fun as you are challenged way more, it kinds brings me back to days of competitive Halo.. I played 6 BTB rounds this morn where my team lost them all, I was top killer on my team each ound by at least twice the next guy and I was having great fun. Nothing better than the word KILLJOY coming on screen.

Your arguments for quitting are invalid as they are selfish sad stat saving excuses.. If you do not quit much then the system of banning would not affect you. Stop trolling and let the topic be discussed.

well actually there is a difference between winning and losing, if you win then by your logic you are better than the other player? as you said in the last post?

those days where you can be half a team down and still win are gone my friend, there is too much auto aim, auto win for the new players.

if your idea of fun is getting medals, you must be having a blast there is a medal for everything in this game.

i am discussing the topic, please see my previous posts.

well actually there is a difference between winning and losing, if you win then by your logic you are better than the other player? as you said in the last post?

those days where you can be half a team down and still win are gone my friend, there is too much auto aim, auto win for the new players.

if your idea of fun is getting medals, you must be having a blast there is a medal for everything in this game.

i am discussing the topic, please see my previous posts.

The difference between winning and losing in this game is a stat and a few points!! Thats it, and yes the better team win however a couple of good players can still carry a bad team.. playing against a better team is the best way to improve, playing a bunch of easy to kill noobs might be some peoples idea of fun but at the end of the game you have no good sense of achievement. I miss the days of H3 and taking on a group of lvl 50's, it was hard but fun and if you won well now that was the ****.

Sure I love gettin lots of medals and lots of kills, I cannot imagine why you would play this game if you didn't???

Yes we saw your discussion on the topic a page ago and we know you do not want any system that hurts you for quitting because then you might have to play against a better team instead of some noobs (honestly quitting 1 in 5!!).

So I guess its time for others opinions and any decent ways of solving the issues (Read original post and you will see the related issue)..

How can you expect randoms to step up to the plate when you yourself are unwilling to do so?

I watched a video awhile ago where a guy gave tips on how to play better with randoms. The scenario he discussed was one where players, uncomfortable with randoms, would basically try to do everything themselves and inevitably fail. The solution he presented was basically to trust your randoms and focus on doing one job correctly, because then your randoms see you're doing the job correctly and they relax and hopefully do theirs better.

It's not perfectly successful, but the lesson is simple: Be reliable if you want other people to be. You're in a community that thinks it's OK to quit games often, so instead of trying to make things better by finishing games you join the quitters and give up. You're adding to the problem, and it IS a problem.

If your randoms see you doing your best and being reliable, maybe they'll think "I need to catch up because this guy is carrying us." More likely they won't even notice and they'll continue to do awful, but what if they do? Do you want to be the guy that inspired his randoms to do their jobs or are you happy being another quitter?

Also I guess no one is going to pick players to play my little fantasy football/Halo team game I posted above are they? Damn, I put some work into that thing! It was going to be briliant....

So me alone getting 5 base caps and 6 base saves isn't stepping up? While my random team mates can't cap one and can't stop 2 players from taking one of ours unless I intervene and stop what I'm trying to do to help them out. Or playing Team Slayer where I break over 20-25 kills while 3 team mates fail to break 10 and get a -10 k/d spread, again how am I not stepping up?

I'm just as familiar with the failures of randoms. In fact it is their consistent failure that causes me to eventually leave games behind. I was running out of steam in Halo 3 when I found a clan that added another year to the game for me. I got sick of playing alone in BF3, even though I never actually got sick of playing BF3. I might have played Reach longer if I'd had friends to play with, and usually with Halo 4 I'm right about to throw in the towel when I get an invite.

I was talking about the broader attitude of quitting being OK. You can't expect players to treat quitting like a problem unless you treat quitting like a problem. If you penalize it as part of the game, hopefully you create a culture in the community that frowns on it.

People will always quit, I've acknowledged that multiple times, and they'll frequently have legitimate reasons for doing so, but if you put a penalty into the game then at least they know that you the game designer wanted them to finish. Then at least they feel like they have one teammate, one party that preferred they finish. Instead we have a system that almost encourages players to quit the game, and that's not OK.

People will quit regardless of the penalty or how severe it is. You make it to severe and people will stop playing. Bungie tried to make a penalty system work and it didn't. 343i seen this so they removed it. Both systems have flaws but, this IMO is the lesser flawed of the two. I doubt they'll implement any type of penalty. People will complain no matter what they do and so far I've seen less complaining about no ban on these forums then I did on bungie's because there was a penalty.

Halo 4 has a bit of a new trick compared to previous systems.

Since you gain a combat edge from completing games (Unlocks of weapons, AAs, perks and specialization perks) you lose it if you quit a lot with a quit penalty in place.

THAT sounds like an excellent way of discouraging quitting. You can still quit, but if you do it enough enjoy having fewer choices for your loadouts. That's why I want a -3000ish experience penalty. That's normally nothing, but if you are a habitual quitter, then you will suffer.

"But people will stop playing the game!"

GOOD!

I don't want matchmaking to be full of a bunch of worthless quitters who bail out of a game at the first sign of a sad face. Good bye, good riddance, you bought the game so 343 got what they wanted, and now you've quit the game so I get what I want.

What you guys are continually failing to understand is that the worst offenders are a minority. The people I'm talking about aren't doing Matchmaking any good anyway because they don't complete enough games to even be considered present. It's like saying the kid who never showed up to class did it because the class wasn't engaging enough. He never showed up!

You reap what you sow, so if you want to quit so much that the quit penalties I suggest would make you quit playing altogether, ADIOS!

However most people WON'T quit that much, in fact most of the people arguing against the idea of a quit penalty would barely feel it.

@Neurotic Kasper, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example, but as far as I can tell you have a roughly average percentage of games you failed to complete. Quitting occasionally over time like that, with the penalties I suggest, might have slowed you down one spartan rank. You wouldn't have lost the rank all at once, you would probably just be one below where you are now. Much of your experience comes from commendations and such, so you probably wouldn't suffer were the penalty I suggest in place.

Yet someone who quits a larger percentage of their games will lose a rank one day, they likely won't lose any relevant unlocks because most levels don't lead to unlocks. So they'd see they lost a level, say "Damn, better quit less" OR "I HATE THIS GAME ZOMG" and quit playing. Either way Matchmaking is a better place and everyone is happier for it.

There's also another arguement that people don't seem to be paying attention to.

I payed for the game, I payed for the service to play online, if I'm in a game that I'M NOT HAVING FUN IN, then I SHOULD be allowed to quit as many games in a row until I get into a game where I can enjoy it. Some of the maps are so terrible that when meltdown and vortex get selected in big team I just leave. Those maps are NO fun to me, and I'm not going to play them, regardless of teams or connection.

Your logic is flawed here initiate, you say people should just stop playing if they quit from games repeatedly, but in halo 4 this isn't a minority. People quit games CONSTANTLY in big team battle, and I believe it's problems with the game itself that lead to this. The ability to get your vehicle destroyed by a teamate with no recourse to punish thier griefing, the ordanace system either handing you a concussion rifle or a incineration cannon (aka broken ordanace system), instantanious respawn in team slayer (getting killed by your victim before your shields come back) and other factors usually cause people to leave these games out of frustration.

I know me and my friends leave games all the time because of these really stupid issues.

Instead of suggesting ways to punish people for leaving the game, look at what makes people leave in the first place. Most of the time you're right, its babies who wanted a power vehicle or weapon or a flip flopped team, but more often then not I see people leaving for the reasons I listed and similar little gripes. This is my opinion, but its formed by playing the game quite a bit, and observing what I see, what people tend to do and say before quitting and just little annoyances that old halo fans find infuriating.

You could say the tired and true line "don't like it? don't play it." but the problem is I DO like it. I love halo, and when theres I see the population Halo 4 dwindling to numbers lower then halo reach on a daily basis (something I thought couldn't be done!) due to some seriously unpolished mechanics of the game, pretty subpar maps, and overall emulation to certain features of COD like class loadouts and built in sprint, but that's all another agruement. One that I could go on and on about.

I have plenty of problems with this game too, in fact I have many of the same ones you mentioned and I discuss them in other threads (You will no doubt be able to notice my many complaints in most threads).

The topic of this thread was specifically a quit penalty though, and that's what I've been discussing in this thread.

Also while I understand we all paid for the right to play, everyone's return on investment goes down when people think it's OK to quit and do so often. Everyone's return on investment goes UP when the community takes care of their own games. There is a large amount of work that has to come from 343, but communities have to step up too. What good is an amazing game if it's played only by idiots? I don't stay in games for 343's sake though, I stay in them because I'm doing my best to win and I feel like my team could use me.

Even though the game sucks right now, it will be better with a quit penalty in place. The lack of such a penalty is one of the problems with this game, right up there with long shield recharge delays, poorly balanced weapons, ridiculously imbalanced maps AND poorly designed maps, etc. I just talk about those in other threads.

This idea of ''I payed for a game so if I am not enjoying a round I should have the right to quit'' is a very unfortunate one. What many people saying this fail to realise is that when you quit you gain nothing for your effort and you hurt your teammates chances of success. On top of this very often when somone quits they cause the game to stall making a mess of it for all players involved.

The idea of a shooting game is that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose (lets face it someone has to), imagine if you were winning a game and all the enemy quit and you get nothing for it!!! Well they could use your argument as an excuse and the game would die a quick death.

The introduction of a penalty does not stop you from quitting (as is your right) but prevents certain players who quit every time its not going their way from doing so. The points loss system would have been a good one if used from the start but at this stage I fear it may be too little too late. An improved version of the reach temporary ban system might be the best answer.

@Bloody Initiate no I didn't mind that you used me as an example. Majority of the games I have quit from was because of lag or family issues arising. I don't care what's going on in the game my family will come first so I'll quit however many times I have to. 3 games I left night was because of lag. One game of Dominion on Vortex lagged continuously for the first 3 minutes of the game. I wasn't about to sit through a 10 minute lag fest so I left.

A quit penalty will never stop people from quitting. The penalties would not and could not be severe enough to stop people from quitting. If they were too severe, people wouldn't play the game at all. Less people playing is not the answer.

The entire purpose the JIP system was implemented in Halo 4 was to replace people who want / need to quit. If the game is too laggy to play, I'm not going to suffer through it. Don't tell me lag isn't common. If my bullets are not registering and if I can't kill anyone I'm not going to suffer through it. I'm not helping the team at all by just dying constantly. All I'm doing is contributing kills to the enemy. You're better off if I quit. How am I helping you by sticking around? You just want me to stick around as a decoy. True story.

If i'm not having fun, I'm not going to suffer through it. It's a GAME, the point is to HAVE FUN. If I'm not HAVING FUN, I'm NOT going to suffer through it. This is why most people quit. If you can't handle the facts of the game, I'd suggest you find another game.

They will not be banning anyone for quitting, they will not be penalizing anyone for quitting in any way. It's a GAME. They don't want a dwindling population.

How would they support quitting? Ever?

Uhhhh....it's called join in progress...it's like them saying "oh wanna quit? No big deal go ahead, we'll find a replacement for the team soon enough." Instead of halo reach: "Wanna quit? Well guess what b**** you ain't getting credits n we'll slap you with a 15min ban if you abuse the quit option again."

See the difference?

Y would they punish quitters when the system they built purposely supports it? LAWL

They did not build it to facilitate quitting but to counteract some of the effect, the truth is people are now starting to complain about the JIP system because it has become so common to be thrown into a round. This is due to an insane number of quitters, there is no good reason for it to be that common. People have this confusion that JIP was made to allow them to quit when it was made in fact to help the team you cowardly quit from.

If you have a reason to quit i.e lag or have to stop playing then fair enough, so a banning system would not affect you as you would not be a regular quitter. Those who quit because they did not get a particaular weapon or vehicle however would pay the price and afirly do so.

The true fact is that anygame without a skill based ranking system suffers too much from quitters, if the old Halo ranking system was in then people would not quit as much as it would hurt their rank but here we have no such thing. Even in CoD where there is no end to points needed from games people lose more than here. That is why a more severe penalty is needed.. It may not happen in H4 but I hope its their in H5 and if you cannot accept it go play something else....

Yes and no. Yes because, like you said, it creates less join in progress which is not only annoying to you while playing, but its annoying to hop in half finished games. No because i find the servers are not as good. I find I quit more than reach but because of lag. Not only that but when im getting spawn killed in swat i tend to get really angry for obvious reasons. I do rage a bit, but i dont rage quit without good reason as i believe in staying regardless of win or loss.

Join in progress actually envokes quitting a game from me. (random but educated percentage) 85% of the games I join in progress have no chance of winning the objective, or the score is 0 to 0 but the enemy team is just camping and spawn killing the 1 idiot who remained in the game with gauss hogs and power weapons, getting a whole new team of people to deal with an unwinnable mess.

So yeah I tend to leave games that join me in progress, thus compounding the problem.

• 1 month later...