Before you request a forge world...

icycoolx

I am making this thread as a message both to the Halo community and 343 (although they probably won't read this). I am noticing that many people simply ignore all the problems with Halo 4's forge and just complain that there is no forge world and that they want it back. Alright I will start with my first point

1. Forge world was just barely able to fit in Reach according to Bungie's forge world creators. In two videos they say that they were really pushing their boundaries. Although in the end it worked and it worked well, it did mean that if they try to do it again might be impossible by another company like 343. They even said that this was too much for the production and that again they were really pushing their luck. It's amazing to me that they actually implemented it in the end. That was Bungie though and if Bungie was just barely able to put forge world in Reach; then I do not expect 343 to do the same with the latest Halo games. It may seem unfortunate as we can all agree, that yes it would be nice to have it. However, knowing that information I think we should be asking for more reasonable stuff. A few better improved forge maps would be nice but then again I am not sure how much more they can add to the game. If not in Halo 4, maybe Halo 5 or in Halo 5 they could just make better maps in the first place. The maps they made in Halo 4 were not bad but they were not that great either.

2. If you are going to say anything about forge then one of the things that should be mentioned is the current flaws and not just what we want that is not already there. I have seen only two things about forge in Halo 4 threads. A. NEW forge suggestions

B. The request for Forge world

I will go ahead and give a list of the problems of the forge in Halo 4

C. The magnets they added do not align very well. They usually get misaligned if you exit the map and come back. They will often make pieces slightly crooked and it can cause quite a bit of time consuming frustration. That might be able to be fixed with locking the pieces but I haven't tried that yet. Oh and yes you could argue that "well just use the coordinates like in Reach and don't worry about the magnets". Yes I could do that but it is a feature in the game that should be working anyways. They may fix it but I don't know that and I certainly hope they do. I must say that I only use the magnets for the initial layout and foundation but not the entire map.

D. They changed the skins for the platforms and now many of them are now uneven because of their changes. Sometimes you will notice certain pieces don't align well with other pieces. I feel like they could have done with very few changes to Bungie's forge creation and just added some new maps and a few new things. They didn't add much but they did change quite a bit.

I think that is it for now but if I want to add more I will come back and edit the post.

Halo Reach forge world talks:

There was another video where they revealed the forge world in Reach at E3 but I can't find it. So if you can link it that would be great.

Also if this thread could be pinned that would be nice. Although I am guessing this thread does not call for a pin right?

Yeah. I think that the problem is not that we do not have forge world but that we do not have very usable forging terrain on any of the maps. All of the maps have immovable structures which messes with map design. I wish there was some flat land to use that does not have a random light fixture, ditch, or building. Terrain like the canyon or the top of the arena (but larger) would be great. I do not want one large forge map like forge world but instead forging enviroments that work as well as forge world's. Even though I mostly make maps purely out of structure pieces I would like to be creative with the terrain every once in a while.

• Like 1

2. If you are going to say anything about forge then one of the things that should be mentioned is the current flaws and not just what we want that is not already there.

I agree, I think an update that fixes known issues and adds features would be much more feasible and much more important than a copy of Forge World. Although I think a new forge map about the size of Impact, but without a hole in the middle of the terrain would be a very nice DLC. Personally, I would love to have a map with a classic HALO tileset and, set on a Halo with the ring reaching into the background, just to see it rendered in the Halo 4 engine for old times sake.

But as you said, fixing issues should come first. What I have noticed, is that the magnets are not exact, as you mentioned. But I don't think it is an issue of them shifting after being placed. What I have noticed is that on many pieces the magnets on different sides of an object are not in precise alignment. With many of them it becomes extremely noticeable if you snap several of the same object together in a row, as the misalignment will cause an increasing offset.

There are few features that are not fixes, but that I REALLY think they need to add for usability's sake; don't have any idea how hard it would be to do so, but here they are:

1. A grouping option. Let me bind sets of blocks into groups so that I can build a structure, group it, and copy the whole thing to another part of the map

2. The ability to mirror objects. Not sure why it isn't there already. Mirroring objects is really easy and a fundamental tool in most 3D modeling software. At the least, they could make mirrored versions of the asymmetrical pieces available in the structures list.

• Like 2

Amen icycool. I am literally sick and tired of reading complaints about "oh there isn't a forge world in the Halo 4, we're all going to die." but they were pushing the boundries with FW, both technical and physical. I still can't get over the fact that it takes nearly five minutes to get from one end of the map to the other in edit mode. However, I do agree that there needs to be more forge canvases, just not the size of the average county. Also, I completely agree with you on the magnet system, but one solution is to go back to what we Reach forgers used and that's the co-ordinates system. That is, of course, providing they haven't ****ed that up too. All I really want to do is to make an urban map at dusk/dawn. Erosion is literally too small, Ravine is okay, but it's essentially a remake of FW's pillar, which is a part of FW that is seldom used, mainly because you can't park a Mongoose there, sod a 'Hog or any decent vehicle and Impact? Impact is the only decent canvas. The only problem is that it's in the southern district of nooneactuallyhasa****ingcluewhereitisville.

• Like 1