Xbox 720 Release Date,Price,specs Rumors

Dog

Source-Examiner

er_photo_181510_50.png

Today Microsoft unveiled what looks to be an official countdown to the announcement of its next-gen console – which we'll calling the Xbox 720 for now. You can find the countdown on the official Major Nelson blog and it points to this year's E3 event on June 11th.

That's just 158 days away (at time of writing), and those days are now bound to be filled with increasingly accurate speculation on the exact nature of the new Xbox. With that in mind we thought it about time to put together this ever-evolving discussion of the best information available.

RELEASE DATE

With the announcement date now all-but confirmed, a 2013 release date looks likely for the Xbox 720. The current Xbox and the original model both launched in the US in November and based on that alone our money would be on a repeat performance; for those of us in Europe we'd expect a near-simultaneous release.

For most of the English-speaking world then you should have a shiny next-gen console in time for Christmas, presuming of course that Microsoft can manufacture enough to meet demand – and that demand is going to be huge. As for rumours to support this date, well there's nothing particularly persuasive admittedly. But logic and history tells us November this year and we're sticking with that.

NAME

The next-gen Xbox is almost certainly codenamed 'Durango' after a (now deleted) tweet from Crytek technical designer Sean Tracy was spotted. As for its final name that's a bit trickier, but there are a number of favourites.

Microsoft blogger MS Nerd claims that it will be called Xbox Loop, and Microsoft recently bought the URL for Xbox8.com, which could fit in with Xbox Loop or possibly Xbox Infinity. The infinity symbol makes a lot of sense to us, as it's essentially an X with added curvy bits at either end, which offers plenty of fun for the marketing and design teams at Microsoft.

Then of course there's Xbox 720, it's a logical step forward, but we can't see it personally. That said, it seems to be the handle everyone has agreed on to refer to the device to date, so we'll carry on with it for now.

PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS

As with the PS4, the Xbox 720 looks certain to use AMD graphics hardware. VG247 reports that multiple sources have confirmed to it that the console will use two GPUs in tandem, it goes on to say that these won't be used in the usual 'CrossFire' configuration seen in PCs. We're not sure about all this as complex hardware architectures have been the failing of many consoles in the past, as a simple architecture is easier for developers to get to grips with quickly.

Other rumours have also spoken of dual graphics chips, though these may be referring to a powerful separate GPU and a smaller one integrated into the processor – much like many modern laptops. This would allow for greater power efficiency (and less noise) during media playback, with the main GPU only kicking in for games.

And new console must be capable of producing 1080p and 60fps and handle the processing overheads required for 3D as well. Rumours of a 7000-series AMD GPU would certainly live up to this, and also place the Xbox 720 and PS4 on a very close footing in terms of graphical oomph, something that publishers and developers will appreciate.

• What Do You Want From The Xbox 720?

• Like 1

I say the announcement of the console this year that next year the next Xbox will be released next holiday season. My guess it that the name will turn out to be simply: Xbox. If not Xbox then Xbox 8. Xbox 720 is Unlikely for the name though.

EDIT: You forgot to add the price info as stated in the Title. I will remove if need be.

Just give me a price so I can work out future buys :P I should be good though, got 4 last parts to get to build my computer, not including OS, which should be taken care of by mid February, so I should be able to save up for the new xbox in time.

• Like 1