Cortana's Superpowers

Mr. X

I really liked the campaign but I've got a question regarding Cortanas rescue of the MC at the ending. Why could she help the Chief in the fight physically and "tie" the Didact down by becoming this blue beam thingy? Also why could she protect the Chief from the big explosion at the end by forming this protective bubble? It was never ever mentioned that Cortana could do this kind of things, since she is, after all, still a virtual being and her visual appearance is only a kind of hologramm. That she could take physical form at the end felt a bit like Deus Ex Machina for me, but I wouldn't bug me if they had mentioned it somewhere in the final level or something, which I they didn't - or did I miss something?

Thanks, i guess those explanations make sense. I think I'll go with it that she learned those things by having access to the whole FR database or something like that when the Chief put her in the system.

People walk across bridges made of light since Halo CE but now they want realism?

It's not about realism (this is a sci-fi shooter after all), it's about consistency in the universe. We never saw Cortana do such a thing like she did in the ending since Halo CE. For example, what would you say if there was a cutscene in Halo 4 in which the Chief would suddenly be able to teleport (just by himself)? It has never been etablished that the Chief got teleportation skillz so people would of course ask themselves how he did that and why he didn't do it in previous Halos.

• Like 1

Thanks, i guess those explanations make sense. I think I'll go with it that she learned those things by having access to the whole FR database or something like that when the Chief put her in the system.

It's not about realism (this is a sci-fi shooter after all), it's about consistency in the universe. We never saw Cortana do such a thing like she did in the ending since Halo CE. For example, what would you say if there was a cutscene in Halo 4 in which the Chief would suddenly be able to teleport (just by himself)? It has never been etablished that the Chief got teleportation skillz so people would of course ask themselves how he did that and why he didn't do it in previous Halos.

He has teleported though... Ironically 343 guilty spark teleported him. He's used portals and all sorts of stuff. Hell even Cortana teleported him and he landed in upside down in the mission "KEYES".

It's not inconsistent that the Chief and many others used light bridge. Albeit a little weird for Cortana to not take a form like that before in the series but in the realm of possibilities it could be possible.

I do get what you're saying but... At the same time I don't... Cortana has taken a direct intervention into the mission before Halo 4 so why it so hard to believe now?

He has teleported though... Ironically 343 guilty spark teleported him. He's used portals and all sorts of stuff. Hell even Cortana teleported him and he landed in upside down in the mission "KEYES".

I know that he has teleported (i'm not that dumb to miss it ^^) - that's why I wrote "imagine if he teleported just by himself". English isn't my native tongue but I believe that this means he would do it without any help from others (Cortana, Spark, Portals etc.); kind of like the Prophet of Regret in Halo 2.

It's not inconsistent that the Chief and many others used light bridge. Albeit a little weird for Cortana to not take a form like that before in the series but in the realm of possibilities it could be possible.

Also I agree that it isn't inconsistent that the Chief used light bridge, my initial problem was just - like you mentioned - that Cortana hasn't "taken a form" before.

I do get what you're saying but... At the same time I don't... Cortana has taken a direct intervention into the mission before Halo 4 so why it so hard to believe now?

Yeah but she took direct intervention by operating elevators, opening doors etc. while she was in the system - she's been doing that since Halo CE and it also made common sense why she was able to do it (because she "hacked" herself in the enemy's controls / data base).

How many times did the Chief have to escape from an exploding ship or anything like that? Why didn't she form her protection bubble around him at all those times instead of the poor Chief having to escape again? Or why hasn't she ever used her powers to help the Chief get rid of enemies every time they were crossing a light bridge or something similar? This thread has given some good explanations for it, but I still think it was a question deserving to be asked

I know that he has teleported (i'm not that dumb to miss it ^^) - that's why I wrote "imagine if he teleported just by himself". English isn't my native tongue but I believe that this means he would do it without any help from others (Cortana, Spark, Portals etc.); kind of like the Prophet of Regret in Halo 2.

[/background][/font][/color]

Also I agree that it isn't inconsistent that the Chief used light bridge, my initial problem was just - like you mentioned - that Cortana hasn't "taken a form" before.

Yeah but she took direct intervention by operating elevators, opening doors etc. while she was in the system - she's been doing that since Halo CE and it also made common sense why she was able to do it (because she "hacked" herself in the enemy's controls / data base).

How many times did the Chief have to escape from an exploding ship or anything like that? Why didn't she form her protection bubble around him at all those times instead of the poor Chief having to escape again? Or why hasn't she ever used her powers to help the Chief get rid of enemies every time they were crossing a light bridge or something similar? This thread has given some good explanations for it, but I still think it was a question deserving to be asked

@ your last comment : yeah, good point. My guess? Good storytelling on bungies part? Lol. That is a good question... All those times I got my teeth kicked in by enemies and Cortana was sitting on her hands...

[/background][/font][/color]

Technically she has once before. In Halo CE after you fight through the flood to retrieve the Index Guilty Spark 343 urges you to put in the index, but then Cortana comes from the Forerunner database and snatches it. She actually snatches the object from your hands. Its pretty safe to assume that when she is a Forerunner database she can give herself a physical form of some kind.

Technically she has once before. In Halo CE after you fight through the flood to retrieve the Index Guilty Spark 343 urges you to put in the index, but then Cortana comes from the Forerunner database and snatches it. She actually snatches the object from your hands. Its pretty safe to assume that when she is a Forerunner database she can give herself a physical form of some kind.

She did not actually touch the index. She copied the set of instructions that it contains and deleted the original. She then projected the index as a hologram.

She did not actually touch the index. She copied the set of instructions that it contains and deleted the original. She then projected the index as a hologram.

I don't remember it explaining any of that. I'm inclined to agree with the other guy. I remember her snatching it out of MC's hands like a winning lotto ticket.