True Competitive Ranking

Bo0gYmAn

This has irritated me long enough. I'm tired of the halo series making their matchmaking more and more like COD. Halo is NOT COD and never should,would or could be. I'm 1 of the 1st original xbox live players. I've now been online since 2003 and i experienced the true competitive side of matchmaking back in halo 2 days. Halo 2 is still to this day the best halo made. However halo 4 has truely impressed me and now i'm wanting to play this competitively. The problem is this ranking system.

The ranking system has NO penalty for losing. All it is, play, get xp. Get points to move up in the "ranks" Halo 2, the matchmaking has HARD to level up in. You have to have winning records, and CHOOSE who you played with. Back then, more people would play customs and make friends because nobody wanted to LOSE their rank cause losing a game ment you had the chance to LOSE SOMETHING. I propose that there is a competitive update on XBL which makes the game implement the EXACT same ranking system of numbers as halo 2 had. When you lose a matchmaking game, there should be penalties, not still rewards. I now have a problem deciding who's actually good in this game because ranks mean nothing now.

The system should be giving the color codes or something similar to the halo 2 ranking system. The colors represented a level of skill and players were able to be determined wether they were actually good or not. This would inspire players to ACTUALLY get better and know where they're at in competitive gameplay. It would make the community more friendly as it would make players want to play customs to get better before entering into the matchmaking.

Now i know that people like the xp point system. Thats fine. You can keep getting that as a reward to improve your..."title" rank. But there NEEDS to be a # system that makes it hard to rank up. Also, there should be NO legit 50's. In the history of Halo 2, there wre only 2 legit 50's. The pro players Naded and FBI Victory were the only legit 50's in Team Hardcore. Everybody else cheated. Dont make the matchmaking system easy to level up like halo 3. Make it hard like halo 2.

Some people may say "he's just another halo 2 fan boy", well its true. But the fact remains, that halo 2 pioneered XBL. It launched MLG into the world of competitive gaming. And it to this day is EVERY ORIGINAL MLG pro's FAVORITE halo. Its that for a reason. If players were to experience AT LEAST that competitive side of halo 2, players would WANT to be better.

Bump

post-46650-0-71533000-1353409871.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with this entirely, again I may be some old school Xbox/Halo/Halo 2 fan boy but I still feel this was the peak in terms of gameplay and skill. I understand every company wants more people to play their games, but it disappoints me that every iteration of the Halo games seems to have less and less competative match making, Halo 3 still had the leveling system (Although stupidly easy to level up), Halo Reach had quite a few competiative playlists including doubles and so on, then decided to take these out, and left it just as Arena, one playlist that had like 200-400 players playing at most. Now Halo 4, does not even have a competiative play list at all.

Which I hate, its annoying because some games I can play against the most stupid of players, winning games 75-15, wheres the actual fun in that? And other games when I get completely ruining by guys well above my skill rank! Just makes the game pointless imo.

ranking system is early 2013 but your rank wont be visable basicaly there will be no competitive gaming in halo 4 maybe halo 5 sadly :(

Yes and no. Early 2013 we will see a Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) applied through Waypoint, where it will be visible. Currently it is working in the background to match you against players, and they are determining whether or not it needs tweaked prior to it's official release, at which point they will decide if they are going to reset everybody's CSR to 1, or allow you to play with the number generated prior to the release. They've claimed that it is going to be similar to the 1-50 that everybody knows and loves from past Halo games.

It's been stated that it will not be visible within Halo 4, but I personally feel that if enough people want it, they may end up adding it into the game, but people cannot complain about it, we need to come up with a reasonable request, rather than all of these threads saying "This game sucks because it doesn't have a competitive rank" threads. Now I'm not saying that this is one of them, but there have been a lot of those types of threads. This thread is actually really well thought out, and well written, so I'm happy about that. It's threads like these that need to be shown over at Halo Waypoint (halo.xbox.com), and not the plethora of threads simply bashing 343 because of the lack of a competitive ranking.

• Like 2

agree 100%

and I have this really sick feeling that this new "CSR" is just going to be a glorified BPR.

Also not having it visible in game is extremely irritating -_-

343 knows what we want. Just wish they weren't as stubborn as they are on the subject.

Yes there are rules from microsoft about in game ranking i've heard. But there are people

who get payed plenty of money to find a way to make something like this work. Cause I can tell

right now If the "CSR" is anything like BPR from reach, Then it is not anything like what the people want.

And if that is so, it will only anger people more. If that is the case 343 should have stated that a new and

improved version of BPR will be implemented, as apposed to getting people hopes up with the promise

of a new skill ranking system. On the other hand if they do this right it will be a HUGE win for them and

secure the competitive gaming population loyalty on to halo 5 and 6.

The thing is I LOVE THIS GAME. Its loads of fun! But I cant help but to think about all the small things that could

have turned this good game into a legend of a game. Things like the lack of a ranking system, the BOLTSHOT >:o,

the overabundance of power weapons, playing haven and ragnarok endlessly, the classics yet MIA team slayer and team doubles, the list goes on and on.....

My point is these are simple things to fix in reality small details that can be tweaked and create a MONSTER of a game. And yes the may fix a few, and hopefully all of them. Its just if they don't the disappointment will almost be too much to bare :/ It for me will be one of those "but you were soOOoo close!" moments, and will result in my broken heart.

fingers crossed ;D

I have been playing halo since CE i first played it when it came out on demo, best game i had ever played, unfortunalty i never played online till halo reach, so the ranking system we have now is the only one i have ever known, I don't know who is good any more either, with reach i could just tell who was good and who wasn't, but with halo 4 i can't do that anymore, so now i play through a game trying to figure out who the best is just to figure out that I am the best, because the rest are just nerds who play all day and get exp from playing games and not even winning, but they get to a high rank because they play all day

I feel that the ranking system should be BINARY. A Halo 2 ranking system for the Ranked versions of the playlists, and a Halo Reach ranking system for the Social versions. I explain this here: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/18342-a-perfect-reformed-war-games-system-in-mind/ .

I'm not complaing im giving my opinion

Yes, but when people become entitled to their opinions, it essentially turns into a complaint. It just seems people want the game tailored to their every need. Whatever happened to adaptation? Halo has to evolve, and it's fanbase does as well.

I'm not saying that I dislike any of you personally, I'm not that cynical; this is aimed at the general FPS base.

Play what you like.

...Don't **** where you eat.

• Like 2

Yes, but when people become entitled to their opinions, it essentially turns into a complaint. It just seems people want the game tailored to their every need. Whatever happened to adaptation? Halo has to evolve, and it's fanbase does as well.

I'm not saying that I dislike any of you personally, I'm not that cynical; this is aimed at the general FPS base.

Play what you like.

You forgot to hence the words "Halo: Combat Evolved" when you said Halo needs to evolve...since when has it not been evolved?

Play what you like.

I don't like the idea of changing the game, I'm just saying people need to get better at playing

I'm seeing that a lot of people here are knowledgeable about how this "ranking" system works so I have a question.

I started playing this week, first day I did horrible, second day I picked up and even went 37-3 one game. I had this streak going for the rest of the day. All the sudden 3rd day hits and boom I cant get a positive K/D.

I have now lost over 10 games in a row, all negative K/D spreads (-3 is a good game for me now).

I have noticed every player I am matched with has over 2 days of game-play (I have yet to reach 8 hours on War Games), as well as 3,000 kills minimum and usually 2k less deaths than their kills. I haven't even gotten 500 kills yet.

Why am I being paired with these people?

• Like 1

A lot of you kids are just now hopping on this game... some of us have been playing since CE. (Anyone remember Xbconnect? Nothing like the original mp) but apart from that, Halo 2 definitely had it right. The ranking system worked and custom games did make up a lot of our playing time for the exact reasons OP stated. Back then people cared and no one screwed around during an actual ranked game. You made more friends, people actually talked to each. Custom games like Zombies became possible because of it. I miss that ****.

I'm seeing that a lot of people here are knowledgeable about how this "ranking" system works so I have a question.

I started playing this week, first day I did horrible, second day I picked up and even went 37-3 one game. I had this streak going for the rest of the day. All the sudden 3rd day hits and boom I cant get a positive K/D.

I have now lost over 10 games in a row, all negative K/D spreads (-3 is a good game for me now).

I have noticed every player I am matched with has over 2 days of game-play (I have yet to reach 8 hours on War Games), as well as 3,000 kills minimum and usually 2k less deaths than their kills. I haven't even gotten 500 kills yet.

Why am I being paired with these people?

You've been over ranked is the most likley reason. For example, (and this is just an example, I'm not saying this is you), you should be a 15, yet they ranked you at 40 because of how well you performed before hand. Thus, you're playing other 40's and ranks around there, and they are destroying you.

This will balance itself out, especially since the game is only a few weeks old. Check out post #34 & 35 in this thread here, for a more detailed explanation: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/18770-matchmaking-skill-level/page__st__20

fatal your a casual player this has nothing to do with you kid just go away now thank you sir.

I am a competitive player whom happens to play actively in GameBattle's tournaments, Ladder system and local tournaments. I have also entered in a few MLG game Tournaments. Casual is not my style, competitive or go home. I just find it irrelevant to even post this since their are hundreds of topics already made up for this subject. You are spamming the forums and more less being annoying. They are bringing the ranking system back in the beginning of 2013. QUIT COMPLAINING.

• Like 1