Should the DMR get a nerf and if so, how?

NexusKeyblade

I'm one of those people constantly getting spawn killed by people camping and sniping with DMRs. In reach they were great but now they are too accurate at long range.

I think they should get a nerf, but only in rate of fire, a gun that strong should fire slower.

Now, i know all those who wreck with the DMR will disagree and call me a troll or whatever but this is my opinion and i'm pretty sure it's shared.

• Like 1

I think the DMR works fine as it is - sure, it's very powerful at range, but then it's supposed to be. At close range, it's basically worthless - get right up to them with an Assault Rifle or Storm Rifle and they're VERY easy to overpower. If you don't have anything automatic, just stay indoors or out of their line of sight, and you should be fine.

Plus, if the person using the DMR isn't a good shot, it's pretty much worthless due to the weaker aim assist than in Reach. It's basically a much higher risk/reward version of the Battle Rifle: and if someone is good enough to use it at peak effectiveness, they should get rewarded with fast kill times.

• Like 7

Meh I get it is supposed to be a ranged weapon, but when it is cross mapping more often than a Sniper rifle...thats an issue. BTB has been bestroyed by the DMR. Also the DMR should not be able to take out the banshee or ghost or mantis etc in a few rounds...it is like Reach all over again...the DMR is op and broken

The DMR in MY OPINION needs tuned down, thanks to no bloom it is on the level of a sniper which for a starting weapon is a joke, and the fact is the DMR at close range is useable and can out shoot any other starting weapon like the BR could in H3 most of the time. What I don't understand is why the BR got nerfed from H3 but the but the DMR got buffed thanks to no bloom. Not sure where I'am going with this anyway, Give the DMR bloom again or maybe nerf the fire rate.

• Like 2

"Designated Marksman Rifle". What part of this concept is so hard for people to understand? Reducing its range or making it less accurate not only defeats the point of the weapon but would make it largely useless. The DMR is the long range precision weapon but will get creamed up close against ARs and BRs (particularly with the BR's utterly stupid, lag loving, hitscan bull****), and at long range it's not going to out snipe anyone with a sniper rifle since the second you tag someone who has a sniper with it they're going to one-shot you for it. As it sits the DMR is fine, and no more lethal at long range than the AR is a point blank, or the BR is versatile at mid range. If you have problems getting killed by it alot then stop running around out in the open and making yourself such a target. 90% of my DMR kills are against people that run out in the middle of an area instead of using cover or approaching via the perimeter.

• Like 7

Needs a damage nerf in my opinion. It's a do all gun if they want to keep the damage high it needs a RoF nerf. Sorry but it needs to happen. No if ands or buts. I understand people hate nerfs but PvP needs balance to be fun. Once agin sorry but its not a matter of get better noob. OP is OP and everyone knows the DMR right now is.

• Like 1

Needs a damage nerf in my opinion. It's a do all gun if they want to keep the damage high it needs a RoF nerf. Sorry but it needs to happen. No if ands or buts. I understand people hate nerfs but PvP needs balance to be fun. Once agin sorry but its not a matter of get better noob. OP is OP and everyone knows the DMR right now is.

And WHY exactly, both BR and DMR kill in 1.6 seconds, the nerfs you want would put it at a flat disadvantage to every other precision weapon in the game.

• Like 1

In my opinion, having played most of the multiplayer halo games, the DMR is indeed overpowered compaired to other weapons, the only other weapon that can drop a player faster at long range is a sniper, binary cannon, or the spartan laser. The DMR, as is, allows players to essentally spawn in with a sniper rifle. This is hardly fair to the other team. While it may be overpowered at closer ranges, a quick melee and two shots from the DMR will still bring down nearly anyone.

The only way to be save from the DMR is to either stay inside (which almost no maps have adequate indoor sections to facilitate staying inside as an effective tactic.) Or to counter with either a long range power weapon (Sniper, rail gun, spartan laser, binary cannon) but even then, the DMR still has a faster fire rate than all of those weapons, and nearly as much power as a sniper rifle.

So yes, the DMR needs a heavy damage drop along with perhaps even a clip size reduction, it could be considered a power weapon as it currently stands.

• Like 1

In my opinion, having played most of the multiplayer halo games, the DMR is indeed overpowered compaired to other weapons, the only other weapon that can drop a player faster at long range is a sniper, binary cannon, or the spartan laser. The DMR, as is, allows players to essentally spawn in with a sniper rifle. This is hardly fair to the other team. While it may be overpowered at closer ranges, a quick melee and two shots from the DMR will still bring down nearly anyone.

The only way to be save from the DMR is to either stay inside (which almost no maps have adequate indoor sections to facilitate staying inside as an effective tactic.) Or to counter with either a long range power weapon (Sniper, rail gun, spartan laser, binary cannon) but even then, the DMR still has a faster fire rate than all of those weapons, and nearly as much power as a sniper rifle.

So yes, the DMR needs a heavy damage drop along with perhaps even a clip size reduction, it could be considered a power weapon as it currently stands.

Comparing the DMR to the Sniper Rifle is flat out stupid. The SR is a two shot kill, and a one hit headshot kill. The DMR takes 5 headshots to kill someone. If the DMR has its damage or range nerfed, then it will either be inferior to the BR, or become a functional clone of it.

Comparing the DMR to the Sniper Rifle is flat out stupid. The SR is a two shot kill, and a one hit headshot kill. The DMR takes 5 headshots to kill someone. If the DMR has its damage or range nerfed, then it will either be inferior to the BR, or become a functional clone of it.

If the DMR takes five headshots to kill, then why are so many people boasting about four shot body drops from full shields? Apparantlly if it takes five headshots to kill someone, then someone at 343 got the damage multipliers mixed up.

Okay, so i just went and used the DMR, i didn't buy it, i only used the extra class that comes with it. we were playing on complex with infinity slayer. I placed top amongst my team and we won, every kill i got was with a headshot and the only way they killed me was when i ran out of ammo and had to use the magnum.

So, yes, having used it myself, the DMR needs a nerf.

"Designated Marksman Rifle". What part of this concept is so hard for people to understand? Reducing its range or making it less accurate not only defeats the point of the weapon but would make it largely useless. The DMR is the long range precision weapon but will get creamed up close against ARs and BRs (particularly with the BR's utterly stupid, lag loving, hitscan bull****), and at long range it's not going to out snipe anyone with a sniper rifle since the second you tag someone who has a sniper with it they're going to one-shot you for it. As it sits the DMR is fine, and no more lethal at long range than the AR is a point blank, or the BR is versatile at mid range. If you have problems getting killed by it alot then stop running around out in the open and making yourself such a target. 90% of my DMR kills are against people that run out in the middle of an area instead of using cover or approaching via the perimeter.

if we start having maps where enemies spawn next to eachother instead of far away maybe id agree.

and DMR in the hands of a skilled player is perfectly competitive vs AR's in close range. which is a problem.

if we start having maps where enemies spawn next to eachother instead of far away maybe id agree.

and DMR in the hands of a skilled player is perfectly competitive vs AR's in close range. which is a problem.

We have small maps that do that, problem is that they are not in the normal map cycle, as they are variants of other maps.

I just used the DMR for the first time and i could still take on AR's and BR's at close, medium, and long range. So even in the hands of someone who has never used it, the DMR is still overpowered.

Rank up a bit and play against decent opponents. The DMR, BR, and AR ALL have the same kill time (1.6 seconds). As for the issue of the long range kills....

STOP RUNNING AROUND IN THE OPEN!

As it stands I frankly get killed just as often at long range with the BR and I do the DMR, since the BR is just as powerful with 9/10 the range of the DMR should we nerf it to? No, of course not because then all the BR users would bawww like children. The DMR can be soundly countered at long range by a magnum, bolt pistol, light rifle, BR, any vehicle, and any sniping power weapon. If a DMR user tags you and you return fire they'll often duck into cover if you land a couple hits. Use cover and suppress the DMR user, BLAM, problem solved. Complaining about the DMR at long range is about as asinine as complaining about the AR or suppressor at short range and could be backed up with the same arguments used against the DMR in reverse. So instead of complaining, step up your game and play in a manner that'll make the DMR less effective, IE use cover and move into range where they loose the advantage.

• Like 2

I agree, remove hitscan from the DMR and tone down the damage a little and all will be well again.

If they do so then they better change every other projectile weapon in the game from hit scan. Which honestly is what I do believe should be done anyways. Hitscan favors laggy players far to much. But in regards to objective weapon balance its largely irrelevant to the discussion here.

The DMR is the only balanced gun in the game in terms of an "Assault Rifle" category'd gun. The Light Rifle, DMR, and Battle Rifle are your 3 weapons of choice that should every be considered. The Light Rifle takes more shots when not scoped in, less when scoped in; get rid of it. The Battle Rifle is more overpowered than the DMR, and here is why:

Although they take the same amount of shots, with and without scope, they are not the same.

(I realize that the BR is supposed to be better at a short range, and the DMR is supposed to be better at a long range -- which weapon you use for THIS reason should vary on the map, the gametype, and your playstyle I suppose...)

But...Here's why...

Let's say there are 2 players going into a 1v1 BR/DMR fight. Player 1 is your average Halo player n00b, where as Player 2 is a professional Halo player that is not such a rookie. Both players are using the DMR with standard settings, everything is normal. Player 1 and Player 2 both hit eachother 4 times apiece. Each player is now 1 shot away (in the head) from dying. Player 2, being more skilled, hits the 5th shot in the head, whereas Player 1 hit Player 2 in the shoulder.

^^^In this situation, Player 2 is awarded the kill, as he should be, for having more "skill", and walks away a "weakened-1shot".

In the other way around, Player 1 and Player 2 are both using a Battle Rifle. Both players have again hit eachother in the body 4 times, remaining a headshot away from being awarded a kill. On the 5th shot, Player 2 again hits Player 1 in the head; however, this time, Player 1 has (with his 3 bullets, since battle rifle's shoot 3 bullets in comparison to the DMR's 1) has hit Player 2 in the shoulder, the neck, and the shoulder. In this situation, both players are awarded a kill, and a trade occurs.

^^^In this situation, Player 2 and Player 1 are both awarded a kill, but it is not based off of "skill".

I know there is not near as much "spray, spread, swiping", whatever you would like to call it, as there was in Halo 3, but nonetheless, there is still a "spread".

I realize that none of these guns will be changed in anyway, and I realize also that it's all there for fun and will remain constant, so people's discussions and complaints are irrelevant, but I figured I would throw these facts out there for those who seem to be upset about these DMR/BR/LR discussions.

All in all, don't use the Light Rifle, if you're playing a close range map with lots of hallways, use the BR, otherwise use the DMR.

Over all, if you can scope in 24/7 [which you shouldn't be able to], use the LR; but the BR is still the best "Assault Rifle" type gun in the game, for the reasons stated above; unfortunately.

<3

The DMR is the only balanced gun in the game in terms of an "Assault Rifle" category'd gun. The Light Rifle, DMR, and Battle Rifle are your 3 weapons of choice that should every be considered. The Light Rifle takes more shots when not scoped in, less when scoped in; get rid of it. The Battle Rifle is more overpowered than the DMR, and here is why:

Although they take the same amount of shots, with and without scope, they are not the same.

(I realize that the BR is supposed to be better at a short range, and the DMR is supposed to be better at a long range -- which weapon you use for THIS reason should vary on the map, the gametype, and your playstyle I suppose...)

But...Here's why...

Let's say there are 2 players going into a 1v1 BR/DMR fight. Player 1 is your average Halo player n00b, where as Player 2 is a professional Halo player that is not such a rookie. Both players are using the DMR with standard settings, everything is normal. Player 1 and Player 2 both hit eachother 4 times apiece. Each player is now 1 shot away (in the head) from dying. Player 2, being more skilled, hits the 5th shot in the head, whereas Player 1 hit Player 2 in the shoulder.

^^^In this situation, Player 2 is awarded the kill, as he should be, for having more "skill", and walks away a "weakened-1shot".

In the other way around, Player 1 and Player 2 are both using a Battle Rifle. Both players have again hit eachother in the body 4 times, remaining a headshot away from being awarded a kill. On the 5th shot, Player 2 again hits Player 1 in the head; however, this time, Player 1 has (with his 3 bullets, since battle rifle's shoot 3 bullets in comparison to the DMR's 1) has hit Player 2 in the shoulder, the neck, and the shoulder. In this situation, both players are awarded a kill, and a trade occurs.

^^^In this situation, Player 2 and Player 1 are both awarded a kill, but it is not based off of "skill".

I know there is not near as much "spray, spread, swiping", whatever you would like to call it, as there was in Halo 3, but nonetheless, there is still a "spread".

I realize that none of these guns will be changed in anyway, and I realize also that it's all there for fun and will remain constant, so people's discussions and complaints are irrelevant, but I figured I would throw these facts out there for those who seem to be upset about these DMR/BR/LR discussions.

All in all, don't use the Light Rifle, if you're playing a close range map with lots of hallways, use the BR, otherwise use the DMR.

Over all, if you can scope in 24/7 [which you shouldn't be able to], use the LR; but the BR is still the best "Assault Rifle" type gun in the game, for the reasons stated above; unfortunately.

<3

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600570

That is all.

Rank up a bit and play against decent opponents. The DMR, BR, and AR ALL have the same kill time (1.6 seconds). As for the issue of the long range kills....

STOP RUNNING AROUND IN THE OPEN!

As it stands I frankly get killed just as often at long range with the BR and I do the DMR, since the BR is just as powerful with 9/10 the range of the DMR should we nerf it to? No, of course not because then all the BR users would bawww like children. The DMR can be soundly countered at long range by a magnum, bolt pistol, light rifle, BR, any vehicle, and any sniping power weapon. If a DMR user tags you and you return fire they'll often duck into cover if you land a couple hits. Use cover and suppress the DMR user, BLAM, problem solved. Complaining about the DMR at long range is about as asinine as complaining about the AR or suppressor at short range and could be backed up with the same arguments used against the DMR in reverse. So instead of complaining, step up your game and play in a manner that'll make the DMR less effective, IE use cover and move into range where they loose the advantage.

thats not a entirely valid bit of helpful criticism as ive been taken out with full shields while sprinting from one cover to another. because of that i think the assault weapons should have a slightly faster kill time in close range then the precision weapons, very slightly.

tho i have no hate for BR or DMR users so i dont know why your turning this into some kind of psuedo class warfare only the class is replaced with gun preferences. its far easier to keep range then to close it also. as good as the AR may be now, DMR still trumps it when assuming equal skill as you said same kill time. thats why ive suggested the slight (very slight) bloom on it causing you to have to pace your shots at range so you cant just spam it. but hte bloom would be small enough that you could still hold down the trigger in CQC and have all the hits land.

as it is right now this game favors range over CQC by a large degree due to weapon performance like the DMR and majority of map design. I /sigh every time i end up in a open/large scale level because i know i have to switch to a weapon i dont like using.

i cant affect map design all that much, whats done is done, but i can affect the performance of something like weapons.

DMR is a precision "marksmen rifle" it shouldnt kill as fast as a assault rifle up close considering AR users have no answer for when they are at range. assault weapons deadlier in close, precision deadlier at range, medium sorta fluctuates according to the specific weapon being used.

But...Here's why...

<3

first, DMR isnt "balanced" tho isnt far out of line either.

second, the fact that you ignore a entire weapon type (automatics) makes me wanna slap you, but i wont, cuz i assume you were just forgetful

@ Fernin and others

First of all the DMR is OP, there is no question about it.

The DMR is good at long range (obviously), medium range, and ... close range. Yes close range. The BR is terrible at long range (kickback, bullet spread), OK at medium range, and good at close range.

I'm really not sure where you are coming from but you need to get off the DMR's ****. I have played all of the Halos and recently a lot of Reach. Yes I have used the DMR extensively in Reach because it was the only good gun (and maybe the alien version). But the DMR is not Halo and will never be. Really the majority of Halo combat has always taken place at mid-range (except sniper).

Either: a) You've never player Halo 2 or 3 (which are the "original Halo MP" and are really what made Halo a great online game). And what were the best weapons in Halo 2 and 3 and made it such a great game .... THE BATTLE RIFLE (and sniper).

B) You were probably not good with the BR/Sniper and are a bitter about spending so much time getting tea-bagged.

So now comes along your savior... the DMR.... now you can 'sit back' and camp with your DMR with sniper like abilities and get headshots across the map without even trying to aim... it's laughable

Oh, and about the 1.6 sec killtime of both weapons (this is a horrible argument on your part; it seems like you just like to throw numbers around to sound smart) that is only if all of the BR's 3 bullets hit the target. The DMR only needs one bullet to land.

Possible Solutions: (1) increase shield takedown of DMR to 5 shots (instead of 4), (2) decrease DMR rate of fire, increase DMR bloom, (3) increasing bloom (so players have to actually pace their shots instead of spamming the trigger like you can now, get rid of BR's kickback (honestly we're talking about SPARTANS here they should be able to hold a gun steady and this would help mid/long-range.

Also about AR's ..... were obviously put in Halo games to troll noobs.... nobody in their right mind would want to use and AR (they just take ZERO skill)

I'm one of those people constantly getting spawn killed by people camping and sniping with DMRs. In reach they were great but now they are too accurate at long range.

I think they should get a nerf, but only in rate of fire, a gun that strong should fire slower.

Now, i know all those who wreck with the DMR will disagree and call me a troll or whatever but this is my opinion and i'm pretty sure it's shared.

It is a common opinion however as someone that has loadouts with the DMR, BR, and Assault Rifle i view it as perfectly balanced.

• Like 1