Simple! Skill or Progression?

Josh Register

Simple! Skill or Progression  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Skill or Progression

I will enjoy the game regardless because it is about the journey not the destination. However if I had to choose I'd have to say that I liked Reach's progression system. It made for relaxed gaming with no stress of losing levels. All there was was me and enjoyment over the game that Bungie made for us.

I know most people will probably disagree.

I honestly prefer progression. Skill couldn't matter less to me. As long as everyone is having fun, I don't care. However, not everyone is going to have fun. You can't please the whole world. And many of those who don't enjoy Halo 4 will attempt to ruin it for the rest of us by saying the game caters to noobs. In my opinion, I think they are trying to level it out and make it even. The old Halo games catered strictly to the good players. I remember that that kept me from getting into it because I could never get good at the game by getting killed all the time and never winning a match.

I don't understand why everyone keeps making it seem like you can't have both. Halo 2 and 3 feature ranked games and unranked games, for all you players who want "to have fun and just enjoy my time with friends," play the unranked games, while people who want to level up can play the ranked games. It doesn't have to be one or the other, and for the people complaining that they don't want other people to have the ability to show of their ranks, why do you care so bad about what other players want to do ?...They could incorporate both ranked and unranked and I really don't understand the opposition against it, if you don't like it, then don't play ranked.

• Like 1

Also they are indeed catering the game around people who aren't that good, it sounds rude, but that is the truth.

That isn't a bad thing for me. Helps me to get into it and it could very well even out things out so everyone has a fair shot in a match. The old Halos it was "if you're good, you'll win. If not, you'll always lose." However, I also think they need to insure they do not alienate the players who really do have skills that they'd like to show off in a match.

how could they do that to us?????????

They have also already said that they're going to have a system to match players of similar skill levels up with one another. You may not have a visual way of seeing your skill, but so long as you are actually matched up with players whos skill is close to your own, does it really matter all that much? Having a visual rank may allow you to quickly see a general representation of a person's skill level, but most of the time it seems like people want this purely for the bragging rights. No this is not the only reason, but it seems to be one of the main ones.

Removing this visual element but still matching players up based upon their skill seems like a smart move to me. It is more likely to cut down on boosters and the selling of accounts, but still letting people have a competitive experience.

They have also already said that they're going to have a system to match players of similar skill levels up with one another. You may not have a visual way of seeing your skill, but so long as you are actually matched up with players whos skill is close to your own, does it really matter all that much? Having a visual rank may allow you to quickly see a general representation of a person's skill level, but most of the time it seems like people want this purely for the bragging rights. No this is not the only reason, but it seems to be one of the main ones.

Removing this visual element but still matching players up based upon their skill seems like a smart move to me. It is more likely to cut down on boosters and the selling of accounts, but still letting people have a competitive experience.

the more i think of it the invisible ranks are not that bad i guess, i did like the bragging rights tho :/ i think it helped alot of the worse players get alot better because they wanted to be like the higher level people ya know? i was the first 50 pretty much where i lived at the time and everybody knew i was the only 50 in H3 at my school when the game came out sooooo long ago. i had tons and tons of people trying to get to be like me, trying to get that 50. these people would just come talk to me in and outside the game to trying to get better trying to figure out what it took to be a 50. i myself just me influenced about 500 people in my high schoool to play halo 3 and try to be a 50 a general. it really motivates people alot more then what alot of us think. i know for sure that taking that visible lvl 50 out will take a very important part out of halo and a even more important part out of the people playing the game as well.

To only have a progression system is like standing in line for a welfare check. Getting something for little to no effort.

Maybe in Halo 5 they can also make the progressive system hidden. I don't understand how 343 can make an unbreakable progressive system, but fail to do the same with a visible rank system. Unless they really are just catering to ADHD gamers these days.