Who else misses this...

BenefitiZsiK

Halo reach failed at creating a skill gap between players which ended up being a very stale boring multiplayer experience. Counter-strike has always stayed to its roots as a highly competitive game and it hasnt failed. Also look at starcraft. Reach annihilated what made halo, halo.

You haven't made any legitimate reasons why Reach destroyed Halo. All you're saying is you hate most of the players that play Halo.

This was real a ranking system. It separated the ******* from the men. Halo reach ranking system was non-exsistent. Matching making was filled with noobs. And in halo 3 getting a 50 was way too easy.

Oh my dear science, do I miss those icons. I remember that getting to level 16 was called "getting your horns". And level 31+ is when players started to get good. Like really good.

Everything above a 45 depended on who could stand-by more. Boy do I not miss those days of being standby'd in Head-to-head at level 10.

the true skill ranking system was the one reason I decided to stay with halo 3 when I had only played a few games...

In it I saw the potential to fulfill the instinctive drive for social status, which I believe appeals to everyone.

With an xp ranking system it is possible to mislead yourself and others into thinking you have social status, but with the true skill ranking system, the vast majority of the time, there could be no deception about your status within the mastery of the game....

so the true skill route holds a much harder but truer road to fulfillment of this one drive

....and this was the one reason I stuck with it, and never bothered to learn games like CoD

the xp version appeals to the social gamer, the skill version appeals to the mastery gamer

theres alot of talk about how one version will match you up with one type of player and, the other version matching you up with another type of player, and how that creates a better "game"

but I think people who say that don't want to admit its not the "game", its the ego drive behind having a visual representation of their mastery, and beating someone else who has a visual representation of their mastery

well ryu, there's a fierce community of mastery players, they have put alot of time and energy into mastering the halo style, and they are very out spoken about things that nurf the potential of their mastery achievement, even though the only compliments they give is in their time spent playing :/

btw, whats your true skill level in halo 3?

well ryu, there's a fierce community of mastery players, they have put alot of time and energy into mastering the halo style, and they are very out spoken about things that nurf the potential of their mastery achievement, even though the only compliments they give is in their time spent playing :/

btw, whats your true skill level in halo 3?

I'm a 35, I got bored of Matchmaking and played some classic customs for a while, then got back into Matchmaking, but the Reach came out. See, an XP system that gives and takes XP based on each little action would be great yes? Maybe Halo 4 could have this, but so far, it's looking like a mashup with a trueskill ranking, and a Reach style ranking.

from a totally self interested point of view, not thinking about the community at all, just thinking about my own pleasure...

I'll give halo 4 a chance whatever the ranking system, obviously I'm on a halo dedicated forum...

but when I think about how much I'm gonna care about a win/loss, I "doubt" I, or anyone else, is gonna care as much as when the true skill system was in place,

...I truely believe my thoughts represent the majority of players who have reached true skill level 47+, as mlg pro player "ninja" says, and I really hope the one game available for these mastery players to prove and perform, does not leave us with nothing, near as high quality, to play

p.s. when I talk about quality, I am aware games like fifa and pes have a decent system, but the genres doesn't appeal to as many people, and the social capability in halo 3, in my opinion, is second to none, file sharing, true skill proven status, fighting to take a level off the other guy and add it to yourself, metagame involved with mastery gamers, if anything I would make the true skill level go up to 100 because 1-50 didn't seperate players status enough... drifting off topic

sheilds that give you a chance to win when you been shot at first, equipment to strategise around, timing power ups and power weapons made for great fights at bottle neck positions, fighting with or without the power weapon changed the game, bouncing nades like tennis balls, sticking nades, neddler, sword, headshot medal, map quality, a visual scheme that makes the most of the current generation of graffics... meaning that players could not blend into the back ground unrealisticly... just off the top of my head

the best game, in the most versatile genre, capable of heavy mastery...

but will people bother without a true skill ranking system? I know I heard alot of people scold derankers, but I bet those same people would say they would take the good with the bad, if the mastery component was taken out

I sincerely hope I, and all mastery players, will care about it to fulfill its potential... sigh... the time I have spent on halo 3 could be measured in months... please please please please

Halo 2 was comparable only to crack....talk about an addicting game. Something about the unique visual ranks and fast game play set the standard for Halo which since then, has been below the bar. IMO the idea of removing ranks to eliminate boosters and new accts is lazy and unconstitutional in the online halo world. Instead of admitting defeat, new countermeasures should be implemented to deter cheaters/boosters.

I didn't get to play halo 2 or its ranking system, halo 3's graffics look much more appealing though, but on topic, if it allowed the same type of mastery, and if it encouraged working to achieve that mastery, I'm for it.

I would still think 1-50 does not seperate players enough and perhaps 1-100 would be better

and I like what you say about accepting defeat/counter measures, for someone who ups their halo game to the point of mastery, I would hope for the same approach be taken towards problems in the true skill ranking system, thats the we play at, right?!.

if you have time you rank up regardless, meanwhile you are a poor player ruining the games of good players when you drag them down or you give them weak competition... so if you were the good player, who cares about ranking up when playing suks. the reach system encourages playing non seriously just so you don't get mad, and the ranks mean nothing about your skill as a player, only your time available.

A split playlist lineup for casual and competitive is the way to go. It appeals to both competitive and casual players alike. The reach system created a purely social playground. I stopped playing Reach a month after its release because of this. Playing 50 high in slayer with the risk of LOSING my 50 still keeps me playing halo 3 after all these years. This is purely my own personal conjecture but, the incredible success on H2 and H3 online was the fierce competition to chase the elusive 50 and display it with pride to your peers. Reach failed to deliver by its "no halo player left behind" motto thus rewarding individuals for losing.

I understand 343 is working hard to create a ranking system that works. We've seen the halo3 (boosters/cheaters) and Reach (congrats you lost here's some rank) flaws and I'm excited to see how 343 tackles these problems without losing the competitive nature that makes halo what it is.

• Like 1

I'm excited to see how 343 tackles these problems without losing the competitive nature that makes halo what it is.

From what it looks like, there will be a rank regarding earning Spartan Points by playing, and a "secret" rank, only visible to you. This will discourage boosting since you'll be the only one who can see it.