Just 1 more thread about h4 ranking!

calm

I know you're all down to your last straw with threads about the h4 ranking system. That being said, there's an incredibly simple way to satisfy casual and competitive gamers alike: winning percentage.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but after reading some of the ludicrous ranking suggestions on here I felt compelled to make an account and put my two cents in.

The casual players can still have a reach-style, credit based promotion system. They can play grifball to their heart's content and eventually reach the highest rank. So 343 thereby satisfies casuals. Then, there can be overall and playlist-specific winning percentages.They show up after maybe 30 games, and are continually updated. Over long periods of time, the crappy teammates who make you lose and awesome teammates who carry you will average out, and you are left with a highly accurate measure of your worth as a player. Boosting is not an issue because the percentages update indefinitely.

Each percentage could only be visible in that playlist, so in doubles for example it would say doubles WP 45% or w/e. But you would carry your career win % with you so that your skill could be made evident.

Just my thoughts on a skill-based system that is boost-proof. Also seems like bracketing 45% winners vs 45% winners is better for everyone than say 30% winners vs 70% winners. At least in mlg, the reach matchmaking system does not work.

The only way to solve the rank system issue (when it is being abused) is to make the max party size a whole team. Not both teams. Like BTB for example. Your party can be 16 players. This allows for players on either team to communicate as friends and boost a player. To solve this, 1-50 rank system should come back. But maybe a 1-infinite. And make it so that you cannot party up in competitive playlists with players who are higher or lower than your skill rank by >10. This stops players from boosting a skill level 1 player and the players he parties with are 50s.

Now, a system that utilises winning, losing, killing, deaths, assist ect can be abused. If you make kills worth more than assists you promote players to be lone wolfs, steal kills, not work as a team. If you make assists worth more than kills then you get people who wil just go for assists and not kills. Which wouldn't work either for obvious reasons. This means that a system that runs based off kills wins death loss assist would not work

A new system must be made.

Yeah I don't think a stat-based ranking system is a good idea because it promotes selfish gameplay. When I play h3, it seems like everyone just wants to win. There's not true in reach. I think that just sticking a win percentage on a player's profile will recreate that team-oriented urge to win AND allows people to see how good a player is.

...AND allows people to see how good a player is.

NO. How many times did I get matched with a team that crushed me, hurting that percentage? Enough for that system to be unaccurate. Sometimes, a player can't carry their team. A win percentage is good to give a general rating, but XP based on kills, deaths, etc is a lot more accurate.

I agree With Ryu Hayabusa, a win percentage is good on general, but Xp based on kills, assists, deaths, distractions, etc. is more accurate. Also I do believe that Inifinity slayer was made to appease those who wish to win slayer games. Inifity slayer is more team based slayer where as classic slayer (which will be returning) is more lone wolf, get kills slayer. 343i seems to have listened to the community, so I suspect that Halo 4 will attempt to meet everyone in the middle to some extent. However, no matter what, a game will NEVER make everyone happy.

Yeah I don't think a stat-based ranking system is a good idea because it promotes selfish gameplay. When I play h3, it seems like everyone just wants to win. There's not true in reach. I think that just sticking a win percentage on a player's profile will recreate that team-oriented urge to win AND allows people to see how good a player is.

Ya I have never heard of anyone wanting to go into a game and want to win, I just can't believe anyone would actually want to win. Winning is sooooo overrated. lol

But seriously isn't the whole point of playing a game to win? Thats why points are kept and at the end of the game it says who won. I guess they could just take out winning and losing and just randomly end the game whenever they felt like it. Its just like any sport, there is always going to be a team that wins and a team that loses and everybody playing the game wants to be the team that wins. This is why Reach never had as many people playing as Halo 3. Stat-based is they only way to go as it forces poeple to actually work together. People become selfish when it isn't stat based because they know at the end of the game they will still "rank up" no matter how good or bad they do (Like COD). This is when people end up leaving for a bit during a game or just messing around because they know there will be no negative effect and they don't care about anyone else on their team who actually want to win. People that don't want to win/lose should just stick to social multiplayer and leave the ranked for those who want to win and work with their team. Wanting to win a game does the complete opposite of promoting selfishness, It takes it away from the game.