Halo 4 Game Engine

BigMartin58

Ok so litterally everywhere I go I see a lot of controversy about Halo 4 being on Halo Reach's Game Engine and I'm starting to get pissed. :banghead:

For everyone: Halo 4 will be just as different from Halo Reach as Halo 2 was from Halo 1 or Halo 3 was From Halo 2, etc. When a developer says that a game is running on the same engine as the last game they don't mean that it will be the same as halo 3 to Halo 3:ODST. Every single halo game was made by the same fother mucking (lol) engine! If they were to build a sequal to a game on a different engine than the original, then it would be more like the difference between GTA: San Andreas and GTA: 4. Those games were made from two different engines! Halo 4, running off the same engine as Halo Reach, will be an entirely different feel than you all are thinking(the ones who are complaining halo 4 will be the same as halo reach).

Thank you, i have made my point. :)

=================EDIT==================

""Halo 4 will be on Xbox 360 and use a modified core of the Halo engine(s)." - Frank O' Connor

Here is the source: http://bit.ly/Halo-4-Engine

Edited by BigMartin58
  • Like 1

Even so, I am disappointed that certain things like particle effects, and spartan movement like walking and meleeing are virtually unchanged. In the game informer pictures, the grunt that is being thrown by the exploding grenade is in the exact same pose as the Reach grunts. I was hoping they would change these things :/

It's made with the same game engine who cares!? I haven't seen anyone complain about this in the previous games why's this a problem with halo 4? Grand theft auto is a entirely different game style why does halo have to be the same.

Even so, I am disappointed that certain things like particle effects, and spartan movement like walking and meleeing are virtually unchanged. In the game informer pictures, the grunt that is being thrown by the exploding grenade is in the exact same pose as the Reach grunts. I was hoping they would change these things :/

The entire system was retooled. They decompiled the entire Reach engine into basic layers to add and build on. Things such as "Particle Effects" are different than in Reach. Unless you have some pulled tag values from a non-existant .map file that you are getting this from?

Particle Physics and Effects are not an easy or mildly entertaining form of visual data to play with nor create. The function fields in which control the flow of particles, color, and shape and size are no joke to play with. What we see in GI is not the final product, nor will 343i show us anything jawdropping out of the gate to a publicized magazine before a VidOC.

As for the damage effects and damage responses along with ragdoll physics, this will of coarse be the same. The initial ragdoll response to physics is always going to be the same. The Bipeds are not rigged any differently to allow a wider variation in responses. As for the quality of Physics, Halo has always had top notch physics and collision handling via the great and uber talented people at havok, in which provide the source code to implement the handling.

Player movement speed is dictated by fields located in both the globals and biped tags. Things like this are changed easily as well as adjusting the speed of a player holding certain weapons or using certain vehicles. That is a non-issue and will change I assure you.

As for general engine use for Halo 4, Reach's engine was the obvious choice in terms of usability, scale and implimentation. Reach's engine along with Megalo, really opened the doors for possabilities we haven't even begun to imagine yet....well at least not the majority of you non-programmers anyway. Reach's engine variant was the best possible starting point going forward with halo 4 and the rest of the new trilogy.

• Like 4

It's made with the same game engine who cares!? I haven't seen anyone complain about this in the previous games why's this a problem with halo 4? Grand theft auto is a entirely different game style why does halo have to be the same.

No that is what im trying to say! No one should care that the engine is the same! Everyone is complaining that it is the same engine when every halo game has been pretty much the same engine with major or minor tweaks.

• 5 months later...

This may be a late reply but Halo 4 is based on Reach's engine. However there is a lot of improvements done on the engine itself such as dynamic lightings and better particle effects which makes the game running on the 360's limits (the highest possible graphics for the 360, not to mention Forza 4, Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3). And about the ragdoll (Animation, flying bodies, etc) the series have been using the Havok physics engine (except Halo CE) and I believe Halo 4 is using the same thing. Same engine also means sooner release date! Why would 343 want to make a new engine causing Halo 4 to be released on 2013?