Is the cost and usage of DLC for games leaving you wondering.......

Absolute Dog

There was a time back in early Halo days that I was unable to play certain game types unless I had down loaded the required DLC for the game. It was irritating due to the fact that for one, I had already paid a premium price for the game, and two, unless I shelled out the additional $10.00 I could no longer play the game types that I wanted to. This was later changed so that there was a DLC play list that included a variety of game types, but to this day you still must have the DLC to play Skirmish in H3 for example. Typically this is not an issue since most buy copies of ODST/Halo 3. Since the arrival of Reach I have purchased all DLC and rarely am offered the chance of playing on the maps unless I enter a DLC game search. I like Highlands, Breaskpoint and Anchor 9 and yet rarely play them. I do end up playing a serious amount of forge creations from the community.

So hear are the questions. Within Halo itself, I see forge being the predominant provider of new maps for the community to play on so why should I buy DLC maps that I rarely get to play in regular MM? Is it fair to force a player to buy DLC to play a game type as in H3? Since we discuss separate and complete play lists for TU Reach and Original Reach, is it plausible to ask for a complete playlist for all DLC maps for all game types?

• Like 2

I know exactly what you mean. When the Noble Maps came out, I didn't want to buy them right away... Anchor 9 looked like a great solid map, however I have only ever played on it a total of 3 times. The other maps.. I've not played on. I went into forge and was looking through the maps one day, and I was like "Wait a minute, these maps are new".

So yeah, I think they should lower the price a bit for those maps and, when a new pack comes out, at least make the other free. It's ridiculous.

I like how Reach was set up, where you are not Required to have the maps, to play MM. That is just me though.

IMO forge maps are really needed, if we had no DLC, but all forge maps, sure, the games would look grey and stuff, but i'd take the same colour EVERY Game to paying for maps, in MLG for example, they've added Beaver Creek and Penance (Damnnation) To V7, this is bad now because less people will play because they can't afford the DLC, which is unfair in every way.

More Forge maps = More players.

• Like 2

Here's an idea. Include a single-user code with all new copies of the game which makes all DLC free, but require it for all but the most basic of playlists - a sort of 'grab bag' offering medium-sized games (5v5/6v6) of all game modes, so while you can still play the game you don't get as much freedom of choice over it.

People who paid premium price for a new copy are happy because they're being rewarded for their loyalty, the companies still get to make money from people who haven't paid them for the game and who want to have more than just a minimal experience, and those who haven't paid either for the game or the DLC can still at least play something.

Everybody wins.

I don't think it's wrong to buy DLC unless it interferes on your ability to play the game in the playlists you prefer like you said. But in order for your idea of Forge maps being the future of matchmaking 343 needs a non biased team to communicate with the people on the forums and decide which maps end up in matchmaking and again I say with no biased decisions.