Subtle Additions and Changes...

Planet Etrius

I have something that really is subtle and at the same time can enhance the atmosphere. It's also more of a "gameplay aesthetic" which are the kinds of things I was thinking about when I made this thread. So starting from the classic vanilla Halo pallet and building from there here it is. What I'm thinking is having a new feature that would work with your field of view. It would affect your movement speed, auto-aim, and how your player looks a little bit. It would probably be assigned to your left bumper and toggle activated, or you could make it a "HOLD" button in the controller options too. So in your default state your field of view is smaller and more emphasized along your line of focus (where you're aiming) than in other Halos. It's like by default you're kind of more focused and have less peripheral vision. Auto aim is also only active or more active in this state. Your max player speed would probably be about 90% of Halo 3 speed when in this state as well. When you press the left bumper first of all your weapon is lowered a little and you have a sprint animation, but you're not sprinting. The sprint animation could also be a option for the player. Your max speed would then be about 100% or 110% of Halo 3 speed. And of course your field of vision is like it is in the recent Halo games, and your auto aim is disabled or nerfed. When you fire your weapon or press the left bumper again you will revert back to the focused mode.

In addition to this I would want a return of armor abilities, but in Halo 3 equipment map pick-up style with a couple changes. They would probably be assigned to the (X) button by default. I would say no armor lock, jet pack (as it is), sprint, hologram, drop shield (as it is), or evade. Jet pack would turn into a gravity lift-like jump pack. It would have one or a couple uses and would basically serve the same function. Drop shield could either become the bubble shield again or stay as it is. Maybe it would be changed a little in mechanics too.

The last thing is a spin on the assassinations. Instead of only being limited to assassinating you could press the melee button from any angle to engage an animation where you execute the player if you succeed. They would be called "Pummel" and you would be awarded a pummel medal. The regular melee kill is a beat down. And if you pummel or melee from behind it's an assassination. Now here's how it would work. You would hold the melee button from any angle to engage it, but if the other player presses the melee button at the same time that you try to pummel them then it'll be canceled. The victim player can also press a button when prompted during the assassination to cancel it. When the victim player starts to be pummeled an initial button prompt will be shown for a counter action, but it'll have a red (X) through it which means not to press anything yet. All pummeling maneuvers will last about 2-3 seconds. After the initial button prompt with the (X) through it is shown, sometime during the pummeling the (X) will either disappear or another button prompt will be shown with no (X) through it. The victim can then push the button quickly enough to counter the attack. This whole function can be toggled on or off for games as a whole, or toggled to be active only during an assassination. They also don't have to be default in matchmaking at all.