Need help with explanation of game modes

illerrre

Hey guys,

So I actually never played this game myself, but only the first Halo on singel player. Anyway, I have a project where I just need to write a short description of Halo 5 gameplay and game modes, but I've really struggled to find this information. When it comes to game modes I've come to understand that the below are the most common ones?

Arena: Team arena
Arena: Slayer

Arena: Free for all

Arena: Breakout

Arena: Swat

Warzone
Warzone Assault

Warzone, Warzone Assault and Breakout I've found information about, but haven't found any information at all about SWAT. I'm not really sute what's the difference between Team Arena, Slayer and Free for all as I thought Slayer was the same thing as free for all and that team arena would be the team version of this. 

I really hope there's some kind soul here that could clarify things for me. I've really googled a lot to find information, but it's been really tough. I would also appreciate if anyone could briefly explain gameplay or direct me to where I could read. I guess the game is kind of basic, but there's usually some game mechanics to write about like the shields etc.

Anyway, I'd really, really appreciate any help I could get. 

• Like 2

I can answer SWAT for you. 

SWAT incorporates 3 gamemodes, note that you are stuck with these weapon choices for the entire game. There are no weapon pickups:

SWAT: Start the game with a Battle Rifle.

SWATnums: Start the game with a Magnum. Personally I hate this one.

DMR SWAT: Start the game with a DMR.   

All of these feature instant kills to the head, as well as instant melee kills. A 200 percent damage resistance applies everywhere else on the body. This gamemode is heavily reliant on teamwork and it's great fun with a group of friends.

I hope this helped. 

If the gamemode has since been updated, can someone please correct me? Cheers.  

• Like 2

Team Slayer: 4v4, Red vs Blue. Both teams spawn on a map, and duke it out for control of power weapons. In this game mode, players are just going for kills against each other. 50's the score to win, or until the timer runs out.

Default Loadout's to start, Assault Rifle and Magnum. A variety of weapons spawn on the map, for you to seek out and find. These weapons not only include guns, but grenades of sorts and power-ups. That give you a short tactical advantage.

Team Arena is a variety of game modes, that you excel at best when you're in a team. Which inlude Slayer, Assault, CTF, and Strongholds. Select maps are in this game mode, but slayer map-rules apply. Weapons, grenades, powerups are all applied but rearranged for Pro-League style type of gameplay. In Assault, players find and locate a bomb on the map, and then are to work together to deliver the bomb to the enemies control point and arm the bomb for score. 3 points, and you win.

CTF is sort of like Assault, but a little different. Each team has a flag in their spawn, in order to win this game-mode. Players need to capture the enemy flag, by grabbing it from their base and bringing it back to their own. However, make sure to keep an eye-out on your own flag. You cannot score if the enemy has your flag. 3 points, and you win.

Stongholds, sort of like domination/territories but different in a little way. 3 control points are on the map. Your team needs to control 2 to score 1 point per 4 seconds. However, if your team controls 3 points. You have total control of the map, and score 2 points per 4 seconds.

And I assume you just need help with Free-For-All? (FFA)

​In Free-For-All, you're slaying the enemy team just like Slayer. The only difference is you're not in a team. You're up against 5 other players (6 of you in total) and you duke it out to show who's best. 25 points, and you make a name for yourself.

​Hope this helped, if you need more info. I can answer anything else you need help with. :)

Edited by Arachny
  • Like 2

I can answer SWAT for you. 

SWAT incorporates 3 gamemodes, note that you are stuck with these weapon choices for the entire game. There are no weapon pickups:

SWAT: Start the game with a Battle Rifle.

SWATnums: Start the game with a Magnum. Personally I hate this one.

DMR SWAT: Start the game with a DMR.   

All of these feature instant kills to the head, as well as instant melee kills. A 200 percent damage resistance applies everywhere else on the body. This gamemode is heavily reliant on teamwork and it's great fun with a group of friends.

I hope this helped. 

If the gamemode has since been updated, can someone please correct me? Cheers.  

Thank you very much for the info! So, is this like free for all (player with higest points win) or/and team deathmatch (team with highest points win)? Or can the Swat mode be applied to any other game mode as well? 

Team Slayer: 4v4, Red vs Blue. Both teams spawn on a map, and duke it out for control of power weapons. In this game mode, players are just going for kills against each other. 50's the score to win, or until the timer runs out.

Default Loadout's to start, Assault Rifle and Magnum. A variety of weapons spawn on the map, for you to seek out and find. These weapons not only include guns, but grenades of sorts and power-ups. That give you a short tactical advantage.

Team Arena is a variety of game modes, that you excel at best when you're in a team. Which inlude Slayer, Assault, CTF, and Strongholds. Select maps are in this game mode, but slayer map-rules apply. Weapons, grenades, powerups are all applied but rearranged for Pro-League style type of gameplay. In Assault, players find and locate a bomb on the map, and then are to work together to deliver the bomb to the enemies control point and arm the bomb for score. 3 points, and you win.

CTF is sort of like Assault, but a little different. Each team has a flag in their spawn, in order to win this game-mode. Players need to capture the enemy flag, by grabbing it from their base and bringing it back to their own. However, make sure to keep an eye-out on your own flag. You cannot score if the enemy has your flag. 3 points, and you win.

Stongholds, sort of like domination/territories but different in a little way. 3 control points are on the map. Your team needs to control 2 to score 1 point per 4 seconds. However, if your team controls 3 points. You have total control of the map, and score 2 points per 4 seconds.

And I assume you just need help with Free-For-All? (FFA)

​In Free-For-All, you're slaying the enemy team just like Slayer. The only difference is you're not in a team. You're up against 5 other players (6 of you in total) and you duke it out to show who's best. 25 points, and you make a name for yourself.

​Hope this helped, if you need more info. I can answer anything else you need help with. :)

Awesome information! Everything about game modes is clear now except the Swat question above so if you wouldn't mind chipping in on that one :)

Also, any chance you could explain game play? I mean, game play is pretty self-explanatory just reading the game modes, but there's usually something that can be said about game mechanics. Maybe something about weapons or maps. Can weapons be unlocked etc? Any achievements to reach or special attacks to unlock? Or maybe how you get weapons when playing a map? Are they picked up on the ground or do you choose before the match starts? (I understand it depends on game mode, but in general). I hope you understand what I mean. I've been working all night so might be a bit incoherent. Anyway, I really appreciate the help! 

• Like 1

"Thank you very much for the info! So, is this like free for all (player with higest points win) or/and team deathmatch (team with highest points win)? Or can the Swat mode be applied to any other game mode as well?"

SWAT is Team Deathmatch. Usually 4v4, first team to 50 kills wins. SWAT is generally kept to just this, right Arachny? 

As for your other question. Power Weapons (Missile Launcher, Fuel Rod, Spartan Laser, Sniper... etc)  in Warzone can be obtained via the use of REQ Cards. These are available to purchase with real money, or using the in-game 'REQ Points.' You use one card for one weapon.

Eg. I use a REQ card for a Sniper Rifle, and so now I spawn with a Sniper. It can be a bit confusing at first, but you will get used to it! I would suggest trying to find a video to watch of this in action. 

In Arena there are weapon pickups around the map. Power Weapons have a timer so both teams can battle it out over the control of a spawning missile launcher. It's great fun. 

Edited by Halo6 Follower

Thanks for all the help!

Is there any difference with Assault and Warzone Assault? Because as I mentioned in the first post I did find information about Warzone Assault on a Halo 5 wiki and it was described as

"an attack/defend version of Warzone with no A.I controlled enemies. In this mode one of the teams will be the attacking, while the other is defending. To win, the attacking team must destroy the enemy’s core, while the defending must prevent this from happening. The enemy core is shielded and two bases needs to be capture for the shield to go down."

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help!

Is there any difference with Assault and Warzone Assault? Because as I mentioned in the first post I did find information about Warzone Assault on a Halo 5 wiki and it was described as

"an attack/defend version of Warzone with no A.I controlled enemies. In this mode one of the teams will be the attacking, while the other is defending. To win, the attacking team must destroy the enemy’s core, while the defending must prevent this from happening. The enemy core is shielded and two bases needs to be capture for the shield to go down."

Yup, that's Warzone assault.

Attack the first base, clear it out of enemies, and hold it. (If an enemy enters the base it pauses the timer) After 20 seconds, you get the base. Proceed to the second base, live die repeat. After that, you go to their home base, and attack the enemy core and destroy it for a flawless victory.

The opposing team is the opposite side of this, hold the objectives. Don't let them take your base.

Warzone is a 3 base points on the map, capture all 3 and destroy the enemy core to win. Or, hold bases, kill Spartans, and kill bosses to win. Whoever gets to 1000 points first wins.

• Like 1