Quoting from the Halo 2 Anniversary Trailer

Spartiner5

I've been into philosophical quotes for some time and I was re-watching the Halo 2 Anniversary trailer. Once I saw the quote at the end given by the Arbiter: "The seeds of our future are sown in his past." It got me wondering. Now I've been very confused on the whole plagiarism and citing crap and I don't want to get in trouble. But is it possible to take the quote and reword it like this: "The seeds of my future, are sown in my past" as my own. Please help me out on this. Too many headaches on this topic anyway. I would honestly just create a whole new quote (eventually I will), but this quote just touched me, not the sexual rapist way but the philosophical way. And no i'm not stupid about this, just to damn confused.... and sorta lazy.

That's not plagiarism at all, and in fact you could use the quote entirely unchanged and it still wouldn't be plagiarism. People say similar things all the time. Even the quote in my sig is like that. It's a quote I came up with, not a line from any character or author I know of, but would it be hard to find someone else who said the same thing? Not at all.

You're fine, go for it.

• Like 1

That's not plagiarism at all, and in fact you could use the quote entirely unchanged and it still wouldn't be plagiarism. People say similar things all the time. Even the quote in my sig is like that. It's a quote I came up with, not a line from any character or author I know of, but would it be hard to find someone else who said the same thing? Not at all.

You're fine, go for it.

Thank you very much. This quote though just gives that feely felling that feels so feely. And its a damn good feeling.

"The sexual rapist kind of way" dude that's not right.

Second, yes you can use it. It is not plagiarism. Plagiarism is just taking other people's work and claiming it as your own. You've probably heard of that in school.

Quotes cannot be plagiarized. So you're good to go. However if you took that scene and said you made it, that would be plagiarism and you would be sued.

Since you are just using the quote, you're good to go bud. :thumbup:

Edit: This goes for if you cite the source, I went through my books and yes you have to cite it. Otherwise it's plagiarism. You also cannot quote any other lines said in the scene. Even if sourced, that's plagiarism. Remember how your teachers said "Keep quotes to a minimum." Yeah, that's what they meant.

• Like 1

Actually it is plagiarism, plain and simple. The audio, quote and written script of the quote are trademarked assets and property of Microsoft. Plagiarism is directly using any copyrighted material that you do NOT own, and using it for your own usage in any form without consent or citing.

So no, he can't use the quote, tell people he came up with it, and or use it in any way that violates Microsoft's terms of usage. So for example, he could not write a short story and have a character use this exact quote. Regardless of who else has ever ised this wording or exact quote, Microsoft has a copyright. A similar example would be the whole "Overwatch" fiasco. How many people in history do you think ised the name Overwatch to name something? How many people can claim plagiarism or copyrights to it....only one, and it isn't Blizzard.

Another example would be writing a report or essay for school and using material from other sources directly or even subtly changing it. The teacher will cite you for plagiarism on the spot.

• Like 2

@@Twinreaper is correct. Not sourcing the quote, even with the subtle change is plagiarism. You must source it and do so properly. If you change it the way you described, you would still be plagiarizing, as the idea is not general or well known. It is not a basic fact like (humans have two feet) or a basic idea that could be argued such as well (taxes hurt the economy). You must source the quote, even if you change it.

Do not think that you can get away with such a simple change in any academic writing. Quotes are almost always checked, especially when the author claims it is original. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Never trust quotes from the internet."

As a side note, what are you using the quote for?

Interesting and first off sorry about the sexual reference, any who in the end I probably won't get to into this topic anymore seeing that I have some reference and very helpful points. But in the end the quote reworded with the "my" in it just make you think about your past, present, and future.That was the reason why I made all this  philosophical hullabaloo about the quote. But overall, that quote was a very,very nice touch in that trailer. Made me hyped about anniversary (even though I don't have console anymore and can't play it, Halo 2 was the first console game I ever played, second favorite in the series where'as Halo 3 was first, and last I was able to watch gameplay of the campagin. And I was very satisfied with the changes). Anyways thanks for everyone for the help on this.