Title Update for Reach: Full list of reasonable changes.

ENP No Trace

I don't really mind about the 1-50 system (although a return of it would be accepted with a smile).

But make it so that your highest skill/rank from The Arena playlist is visible in every other playlist.

If you are playing a social match I'd want to be able to see what I am facing.

Don't see a problem with the Plasma Launcher.

I play a lot of BTB and I've grabbed hold of it on many occasions when the opposition Wraith is nailing my team and nailed the Wraith instead from the other side of the map. Just takes a steady hand and zooming in on it!

Fix the betrayal system. If you're killed with anything besides an Explosive, you get the option to boot that player. I hate when people betray me for the sniper on Hemmorhage, and I kill them back and get booted. It's retarted. If you die 3 times by an explosive from a certain player, you get the option to boot them though. Keep AL. Stop being a baby, it doesn't really do anything unless you're so stupid to stand next to them when you know it sends out an EMP. If you're that stupid, get off of Reach. It's easy to counter. Just time a nade, it's so easy. Stop complaining. Make Bloom what people would say "Worse". Atleast for Precision Weapons. You shouldn't be able to DMR spam across Hemmorhage and hit every time, that's stupid.

Fix the betrayal system. If you're killed with anything besides an Explosive, you get the option to boot that player. I hate when people betray me for the sniper on Hemmorhage, and I kill them back and get booted. It's retarted. If you die 3 times by an explosive from a certain player, you get the option to boot them though. Keep AL. Stop being a baby, it doesn't really do anything unless you're so stupid to stand next to them when you know it sends out an EMP. If you're that stupid, get off of Reach. It's easy to counter. Just time a nade, it's so easy. Stop complaining. Make Bloom what people would say "Worse". Atleast for Precision Weapons. You shouldn't be able to DMR spam across Hemmorhage and hit every time, that's stupid.

Listen, Kid. Just because everybody in-game, including your team-mates hates your ****ty overused tactic dosen't mean you have to call me out. Everybody but a small percentage of Reach's population hates Armor Lock. You go to melee a guy, he goes into armor lock. That stuns you and you can't move away, he get's out, melees you, you die. You stick someone, he goes into AL and you don't get the kill you deserved. You rocket someone, nope, ******* armor lock! You armor lockers annoy the **** out of me when you get shot once and go into armor lock and wait untill your energy drains then you run like a *****. It slows down gameplay and everybody hates it with a passion. Also, you say time a nade. Well, that tactic dosen't work either half the time. How so? Because I don't know when you're going to get out of armor lock until you've stayed in for 4.5 seconds out of your five. And don't tell me I'm bad at Reach because the community and I hate your tactics, I guarantee I would destroy you.

My reply to bloom is as follows. Would the DMR become overpowered? Probably not. The DMR gets spammed at close/mid ranges anyway, bloom or no bloom it's going to happen. However I can see how the DMR could be unbalanced. I think a good solution might be to decrease rate of fire. Not a major decrease as the rate of fire on the DMR now isn't that high. I would say reduce it maybe .10 seconds per shot fired. Seeing as how the DMR is a 5 shot weapon when done perfectly, that would add at least .5 seconds to kill times. This might not seem like a big increase to some; however, I think it could work.

Personally I think it needs to be looked at in a comparable fashion. Compare DMR to BR, as long as the DMR doesn't become more powerful than the BR I would not consider it overpowered. I say this in relation to the Halo 2 BR in fact. Some say the Halo 2 BR was overpowered. So if we can keep the DMR's power under Halo 2 BR, then there should be no cause for concern.

I'm not using this post as an arguement against either weapon, I'm meerly trying to offer a solution. I personally don't like bloom, but keeping/removing the bloom mechanic is not up to me. But hopefully I have offered a possible solution to the DMR unbalanced issue, if bloom were to be removed.

First off, I'd like to say I agree with SaintCT: well-developed ideas that could really turn the balance of AR/DMR battles at close range, an issue that's really bugged me since release. All I can think to add is that bloom should still reset at the same rate proportionately, as otherwise the DMR could become even more effective at long range than it already is: the decrease in firing rate could also perhaps be lowered a little further, maybe 0.15/0.2 or so: this would increase kill times to the point where the DMR becomes effectively only at medium/medium-long ranges, rather than essentially replacing the AR as Halo's general purpose weapon, as it essentially has now.

Anyway, I'd like to suggest a few alterations to Armor Lock that could be made realistically during the TU, as they don't involve any new coding, just changing existing values. Although I personally dislike it, I do believe that as a concept, AL is a good one: it provides an effective defence against vehicles and power weapons and can tip the scales in what would otherwise be one-sided battles. However, I also believe it's accurate to state that most players feel it is overpowered, and has been poorly implemented, expanding well beyond its original specifications and becoming a device that provides far too much of a boost in close quarters and severely slows the game down. In short, rather than outright removing it from the game, I'd like to see it updated so that it returns to its intended role, and to that effect I've come up with a few ideas.

First off, let's address the issue of slowing the game down, perhaps the biggest complaint about AL after 'it exists'. AL is supposed to provide an emergency escape route, a chance to survive otherwise catastrophic damage, in order to compensate for Reach's reduced movement speed and jump height: in this manner, it's similar to Sprint and Jetpack. However, in order to survive a grenade detonation/splatter attempt, both of which deal damage over the course of a single instant, the user does not need five seconds of invincibility, rather just enough time to survive that instant of damage. A reduction in the amount of time a user can spend in Armor Lock increases the pace of the game and prevents the user from simply wasting time forestalling the inevitable: similarly, a recharge system akin to Drop Shield, where the ability can only be deployed when it's fully charged, prevents spamming, increasing the pace of the game and preventing power weapons becoming wholly ineffective. I would therefore suggest a reduction in active time from 5s to 1.5s, and a recharge time of 10s (from fully empty to fully charged).

While I feel that invincibility is a key part of AL (as opposed to, say, simply reducing damage), another oft-complained-about factor is its EMP and stunning effect/shield damage to anyone who attempts a melee while the ability is active. A key update is the outright removal of damage to meleeing players: that's the whole point of the EMP. However, while I firmly believe the EMP should remain in place, its effects should be extended to the user: this promotes the idea of an 'emergency' ability, in which shield loss is preferable to an otherwise almost certain death, and which has the dual gameplay bonus of either providing an easy kill for alert members of the enemy team at the expense of power ammunition or vehicles, or forcing the user to seek cover. This also has the added benefit of giving other players a chance to defeat users in close-range engagements, whereas in its current state even swords, shotguns, and hammers - three weapons that already require extreme personal risk to effectively deploy - are regularly overpowered by something that any player can possess from the start of the game, a situation that makes little sense in writing and even less when you're waiting to respawn, opponent running off with your weapons despite your executing an otherwise flawless strike.

Anyway, that's my thoughts: feel free to criticise or expand at leisure.

tl;dr

Reduce time a user can spend in AL, reduce frequency with which it can be deployed, and extend EMP to the user.

• Like 1

A lot of people seem to be against AL on here. I must say I do not disagree. I cannot stand AL personally. But to look at the problem objectively. I would recommend that AL should undergo slight changes so it's not so annoying or something should be implemented to counter it.

Bungie and 343 intended the sniper to be a bit Anti-vehicle weapon. From the looks of it you just want the game to be customized just for you and maybe a few other people it's fine how it is so just stop it's not like they can do all that in one or two updates. Just leave it how it was intended.

Armor lock was a horrible idea from the beginning. Going completely invincible for 5 seconds whenever you want unlimited times in a competitive FPS is so awful I can't believe it was even thought of, let alone added.

Remove from matchmaking with exception of vehicle playlists.

Remove frosting, health & shield regen, and EMP.

Agreed on betrayal system and grenade nerfs.

Idc about DMR and Snipe vs vehicles.

Bloom is fine the way it is, I kind of wish it would work a little better, but most of the inconsistency comes from connection issues.

Armor Lock was made to survive explosions and to tip the tide of battle. All abilities have their own special ability, Jet-Pack, a Rocket or FRG is almost useless as it's hard to hit the target directly, especially when they can move around in the air. But I have some suggestions for it.

The EMP should stay. It stops players from being stupid enough to stand right next to an Armor Locker. It also can stop incoming vehicles because it shuts them down. It's like the human equivalent for a plasma pistol. But, the EMP should only take out half of a person's shields if it's used on them. This way those people stupid enough to stand near them won't complain. Also, keep the effect it does to a Drop Shield when you go inside of it and go into Armor Lock, it destroys the shield, this should be kept.

Recharge time should be longer. It should be the same amount of time as a Drop Shield, and should only be usable when it is fully recharged. Also, make it so it only lasts about 2.5 seconds. That should be more than enough time to survive an incoming rocket, grenade, or vehicle.

Also make it so that you have to fully stand up to start attacking after armor lock. This would be a short delay, but the armor locker can be hurt again as soon as the frost goes away, which will be .5 seconds or less before they are fully stood up. This gives you time to do some damage before they start attacking, just so you won't complain. They can still do a turn, but it's slower, and you can actually see them do it, it's not like they suddenly teleport in the same place but are in a different direction. This would be so that they can't get immediately assassinated.

If this is implied, and you are still complaining, I have no idea why. It will barely slow gameplay, since it is much shorter, it doesn't give out as strong of an EMP to people (I don't see how that's a problem), and it has to be fully charged to use, and has a longer recharge time. Plus they can't immediately attack you and their turns are slower when they come out. This would make it more "fair", for those who think it isn't. If you think it's cheap now, then why don't you use it? You have the option to, unless it's Invasion. But in Invasion, you have the Banshee and invisibilty and the needler and all that. That makes it even.

Listen, Kid. Just because everybody in-game, including your team-mates hates your ****ty overused tactic dosen't mean you have to call me out. Everybody but a small percentage of Reach's population hates Armor Lock. You go to melee a guy, he goes into armor lock. That stuns you and you can't move away, he get's out, melees you, you die. You stick someone, he goes into AL and you don't get the kill you deserved. You rocket someone, nope, ******* armor lock! You armor lockers annoy the **** out of me when you get shot once and go into armor lock and wait untill your energy drains then you run like a *****. It slows down gameplay and everybody hates it with a passion. Also, you say time a nade. Well, that tactic dosen't work either half the time. How so? Because I don't know when you're going to get out of armor lock until you've stayed in for 4.5 seconds out of your five. And don't tell me I'm bad at Reach because the community and I hate your tactics, I guarantee I would destroy you.

Uhm, I don't use Armor Lock first off. I only use it Invasion, and that's to start with the shotgun, then I kill myself, get my Jet-Pack and get the shotgun. Why are you freaking out? Because you can't stop someone who can't move? Armor Lock was made to stop explosions. It's a counter for power weapons horders/campers. Bungie made it for a reason. When I do use it, I only use it for those purposes, and when I'm about to get splattered. That's what you get for trying to get a quick kill. I always use jet-Pack, so don't start ******** your pants because someone said it's a fair AA, because it is. If someone shoots a rocket at you and you go into AL, then you should have another Rocket. If not, then you got more than one kill that life, be happy, just wait until he comes out. And the reason the grenade doesn't work is because you're not timing it right. Don't freak out because you hate a tactic I don't even use. I doubt you're even old enough to be playing StarWars judging by how immature you're acting. It's a game, it's not your entire life. Get over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody considered reversing the effect of camo going in/out while running? I read this on bnet once and thought it might be interesting, though I will say right now that I take no credit for the original idea.

Let me explain: as it is, the camo really promotes camping... remaining still makes you completely invisible. For example, the sniper becomes very overpowered when combined with invis, as you can sit out in the open while aiming without being spotted.

If you were to be invisible while running and visible while standing still, this would promote map movement and discourage camping. This finally speeds up the pace of the game, as AA's tend to slow it down so much compared to previous titles.

HOWEVER:

In order for this to work, it would also be a good idea to change the radar, as being able to run fully invisible would be too powerful. With the radar normal, it will be much closer in style to previous games (in that the camo actually speeds up game flow, which is really a large intended purpose of powerups in the first place) but still not as powerful as a full pickup, as there is the time limit (which may need to be reduced further, but that would come down to tweaking rather full-on changes).

Armor lock - I like the idea where you can't just repeatedly spam it. Use the full bar or don't use it at all.

Betrayals - I do admit that getting betrayed over a weapon is annoying and the booting system needs a reboot (pun intended). Another time where betrayals are out of control is in Infection. In one hour of playing, every game had at least three people just running around betraying people. The fact that there is NO booting in Infection is rediculous.

Get rid of Forge World Maps. They suck.

They aren't well tested, and they only look aesthetically pleasing. Mechanically and in every other aspect, they're bitter turds.

They're like the hot girl you like in high school until you find out she has a thing for collecting toenails.

Well, because all of us, including me, find that, although Reach is a fantastitic game, we have to understand it has many flaws. With a title update being established within a reasonable amount of time, I thought I might make a list of the BEST possible fixes. I'll adress the problems alot of people have with this game, aslo.

Armor lock: Seeing as 90% of us hate this God forsaken armor ability, let's see how we can fix it. It truly is a get out of death free-card. It slows gameplay nearly to a halt and frustrates the best of us. I could go on for hours about my undyeilding hatred for armor lock.

Possible solutions:

Remove EMP completely

One use per charge, no pulsing of the ability, once you activate it you need to wait the full 5 or so seconds to deactivate

How about get rid of the damn thing from matchmaking completely? (This is excluding firefight and custom games/forge)

Nasty betrayal system: Well, to be honest, I'm never really subject to this problem because I'm rarely in a game filled with weapon horders who fight over specific guns. But since I hear a lot of people complain about it's inconsistency, I thought I might adress it. Keep in mind, I don't know how it works.

Possible solutions:

After the first betrayal, no matter what, the betrayed victim has the option to boot the betrayer. No exceptions.

Overpowered Sniper/DMR against vehicles: This gets on my nerves, the banshee itself is overpowered because of it's bomb, but the Sniper can take it down in FIVE SHOTS! The DMR, with concentrated fire from a team, can destroy a banshee easily within ten seconds.

Possible solutions:

The power of the sniper and DMR against vehicles, nothing else, has to be severely reduced.

Heavily overpowered grenades: This was severe in the beta, and even with Sage's powerful nerfing beard, they still remained mini-nukes. A sliver of damage to a fully sheilded opponent followed by a poorly tossed grenade can kill someone. Plasma grenades do not bother the community nearly as much, however. The damage of plasmam grenades can remain the same.

Possible solutions:

Nerf grenades, a grenade to an opponent should take out only thier shields, and possibly one bar of health. Nothing more

An opponent with red health directly hit with a grenade should not die

Bloom: This, I have seen as a popular rumor: "343 is putting in an option to remove bloom!" While this may be true, I doubt it will make it's way into matchmaking quickly. What will most likely happen is a playlist or set of playlists in which bloom is absent. This will make the DMR and Needle Rifle overpowered beyond comprehension, but people will get what the wanted. It will bring reduced kill times, something that Reach is in desperate need of.

Possible solutions:

Playlists with absence of bloom (Could eventually spread to the majority of playlists)

Make blooms spread more predicatble

Remove it completely (risky move, not a fan of this option. This could ruin the game as opposed to fix it)

Add option to remove bloom for custom games

Active Camo: Without a doubt, Squad slayer became, in my opinion, the best playlist in the game with the removal of armor lock. However, I soon saw complaints about Active Camo soon into the playlists introduction. The community will never be satisfied. Though I somewhat agree, It can become annoying when all you see on your radar is incoherent flashing red dots.

Possible solutions:

Active Camo would now not jam radar, but instead, show the player using Camo as a red dot, now matter if they were not moving or crouching, this would not apply if the player did not have the ability activated.

Plasma launcher: It was feared in the beta, it was a real power weapon. Now? It's only a threat to stationary targets and opponents in narrow hallways. It is completely useless against vehicles unless they are heading directly for the player weilding it.

Possible solutions:

Increase tracking capability

Increase speed of projectiles

Recuce charge time

(These would not ALL be applied to the PL, instead they are sepparate ideas to bring back the capabilities of the Beta PL)

Please list your own ideas and suggestions for title update changes to Reach.

-i agree that armor lock is frustrating but u can counter it by using them as bait, as for the rest of your supposed changes,

-camo is fine the more clustered your radar the closer he is to you,

-dont really pick up the PL but when i do never had a problem getting some kills,

-i dont like bloom but its w/e cuz since kill times are reduced and shot are random u dont have the one man killing machine that was prevelant in halo 2 and halo 3, and becuase of that teamshot and teamwork are needed and therefore promoted,

-the drm/snipe vs vechicles is fine cuz if u think back to halo and halo 2 vehicles were essentialy invincible unless u had rockets or your own tank or banshee, so that makes since u can teamshot and destroy,

-the betrayal system is fine cuz ive accidently killed teammates when they waltz in front of me sniping and been booted instantly, it was there fualt but im taking the punishment so instant boot is a no

-grenades maybe op but if u ever played halo ce, ud realize they are nowhere near as powerful, if anything shuld be fixed about grenades its the inconsistent bouncing, like when they tend to stick to the flour in stead of bouncing properly and the random trajectory when u throw them, that can be rather frustrating

- those are just my thoughts about your post

The hell are you talking about? the BR you knew where it was going to hit every time, all YOU had to do is line up the shots and the BR was Real time in H3 so you had to do that too, the bloom on ANY WEAPON has to do with the percentage you will hit your target, the first shot from a DMR will ALWAYS hit you target if you wait for the bloom to reset then you still have 100% chance to hit your target, but if you dont wau for the bloom to recover before your next shot the your percentage drops, the more bloom, the less likley you are to hit your target, and dont forget the close your target is the more likley you are to hit it also, if you target is in your face, you cold proboly not have wait on your bloom to reset, but from medium to long range, youd have a better shot at your target if you paced your shots.

the br in halo 3 had a random spread everytime u never knew where it was hitting, u just knew the general locationm of where the spread culd be and the farther the targer the bigger ur spread wuld grow and less chance of hitting said target, ur odds of hitting all three bullets ie a full shot was only guaranteed when u were in their face otherwise u were hitting anywhere from 1-3 bullets from your shot depending on your movement when said shot and taken and amount of movement from target

What is hit-scan, I cant see the difference between halo reach and halo 3s bullet physics?

When you line up a shot and pull the trigger, the hit is instant with hitscan... there is no "bullet travel time." What you see is what you get.

Non-hitscan has actual bullet travel. The bullets exist in the world and need to actually move across the world to hit your opponent.

Now hitscan is fine for LAN or games with a close host in a densely-populated/isolated/central area (ie. kids who think they're good when their team is hosting from New York, Florida, Ohio) but for any time you have a host that is on the other side of the country, the effects of latency become exponentially more noticeable.

It's no longer "shoot and the bullets will land 1/4 of a second later," it's now, "shoot and the bullets could take up to a full second to register and your opponent can now be 10 feet away from where you shot. Though it can also take only 1/2 of a second depending on the situation so there's no way of accounting for this and adjusting how much you lead your shots by."

This is why H3's hit detection was garbage.