Something simple but so much change(drop ins)

I love Halo, I loved all of them. Some of them had more flaws than others. Yet I forgave them and played them all with so much joy. I get it, we all want to try new things out to see if it makes it better. Here's one thing that needs to stay the same over all Halo tittles. NO DROP IN/OUTS. Every Halo up until 4 did not allow you to leave a match without penalty or join a match mid game. It takes away a massive part of competative play. Im not against it completely. Keep it for social playlists. That's where it makes sense but you cannot have a ranked or competative aspect at all if people can drop in or out. You must be locked in and commited to the fight. You have to stay no matter how bad you are getting spanked. I believe it is imparative that this is brought back in order to have a true halo. Just this one little thing, so easy, I dont care if I have to wait a little longer to find a game.

Hope you guys agree.

• Like 4

First off welcome to the forums!  I invite you to go post a "Hello" thread to introduce yourself.

That aside, I love this!  I was a huge supporter of Drop-in at first, but after many many failed drop ins to matches that were unbalanced or more than half over...I quickly decided the same thing...drop-ins need to be dropped!  Nice to see someone else thinking about this as well.  Once again welcome and thanks for posting this!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't played halo 4 (mehhhh) in a while I didn't really think about this.

But as Twin just said it made the matches very unbalanced sometimes. I think what made halo have some of that "halo" feel was the strictness of the multiplayer. What I mean by this is the leveling system in ranked games matching you with similar skilled people and being locked into a match that you would have to finish and not just jump in or out of because " oh no we're losing I'm not having fun anymore". 

I think JIP is an interesting idea that I don't personally like but I truthfully think it could work in halo if done correctly. First I would say that competitive and social/casual play need to be separated and JIP is one of those prime examples of a feature that should be strictly in social/casual play and not in competitive play. With that said here is how I would set it up:

- Rules: You have to set rules to allow for a game to be JIP'd into and not. For instance if the game is half over or if a game is a complete blowout. No one wants to join those type games so they should be turned off. 

- Bots: When someone quits a bot should take there place with similar skill until a new player takes its place. Now I know this would be kinda  difficult but at least they wouldn't be down a man.

- Option to turn JIP off: Yes even though JIP is in the game they should still give the ability for JIP to be turned off if the player doesn't want to be JIP'd into a game.

I really like the drop in system, I think it's the drop out system

that ruins everything all the time. Players keep dropping out,

new players drop in, those ones drop out, new ones drop in.

It gets really annoying. If a player drops in and they aren't really

contributing to the team at all, another player may drop out. The

only thing that really annoys me about this is it makes it harder

to a win a game, obviously. The lag and black screens go up as

well, which is annoying when you're chasing someone or about

to finish them off.

So in short for me I think drop ins need to stay but drop outs can

go somewhere else!

Like I said before if competitive and social/casual is separated jip would be fine in the social/casual atmosphere where winning isn't important. If your trying your hardest to win in those games then it's your problem as those games are meant to be social and casual. Competitive is where you should play to win and JIP should not belong there. 343i tried to combine both casual and competitive together in halo 4 and it just can't work for many reason. This is just one.