Forging ideas

Murdock

Alright, I need ideas for forge. all comments are welcome. pls comment or pm

1. Place some random forge pieces everywhere.

2. Toss weapons everywhere, as well as armour abilities and vehicles.

3. Set the spawn times of everything at random... same with whether or not they appear at the beginning.

4. Meticulously place initial spawn and respawn points, as well as place kill boundaries appropriately.

5. ?????

6. Watch the download count skyrocket.

Now, disregard all of that except for step 1 and step 4. Seriously, you might get some ideas just by placing random structure pieces down and seeing how you can rearrange them to make them fit nicely. Getting the technical details right will greatly improve the quality of anything you make. Even if it looks like trash, I'd much rather be able to play than not play at all. I hate it when someone shows me a minigame map, and I end up spawning in the middle of nowhere.

1. Place some random forge pieces everywhere.

2. Toss weapons everywhere, as well as armour abilities and vehicles.

3. Set the spawn times of everything at random... same with whether or not they appear at the beginning.

4. Meticulously place initial spawn and respawn points, as well as place kill boundaries appropriately.

5. ?????

6. Watch the download count skyrocket.

Now, disregard all of that except for step 1 and step 4. Seriously, you might get some ideas just by placing random structure pieces down and seeing how you can rearrange them to make them fit nicely. Getting the technical details right will greatly improve the quality of anything you make. Even if it looks like trash, I'd much rather be able to play than not play at all. I hate it when someone shows me a minigame map, and I end up spawning in the middle of nowhere.

I disagree. The best forge maps in the game are those that went under a solid thought process instead of something that players just threw together. The map will be much more well designed if it was thought of carefully instead of being a random thing.

You're probably just playing the wrong maps if the mini games you play spawn you in bad places. There are so many well thought out, well designed maps out there. You just need to look for them.

• Like 1

Look at sky.

Look at ground.

Look at everything in between.

Look at building.

Look at tree.

Look at statues of kings and queens.

Seriously, everything around you can be an inspiration, from buildings that you might see outside, to the arrangement of your toothbrush, toothpaste, and other things.

Play more custom maps and stuff as well - that'll help pop up some ideas. Same with dev made maps. Doesn't matter which Dev.

I disagree. The best forge maps in the game are those that went under a solid thought process instead of something that players just threw together. The map will be much more well designed if it was thought of carefully instead of being a random thing.

You're probably just playing the wrong maps if the mini games you play spawn you in bad places. There are so many well thought out, well designed maps out there. You just need to look for them.

There's no disputing that. Maps with a theme and a vision of the final product are good if the gameplay is fun, and they become amazing if the aesthetics and gameplay are top-notch.

Regardless, maps that are extensively thought out can flop if you can't forge to save your life. Throwing pieces together is the very first step towards building experience, as you get a feel for how the pieces fit together and how they look if you rotate a block over instead of around. Everyone started out their forging careers by tossing random objects around.

JL pretty much stated my point: anything can be an inspiration. Throwing pieces together can be too... not a good one after you've been forging for awhile, but a beginning inspiration nonetheless. :D

As for the minigame maps, if the author specifies a gametype to go with their map, I'll play that... and then some spawning issues will occasionally come up. It often ends up being a matter of the forger not bothering to make sure that initial spawn points and respawn points are functional and in sufficient quantity. At my birthday bash last Saturday, we played on a slayer map and one player on my team respawned outside of the arena. D:

That's why I specified the bit about the spawning points. Make sure there are enough, and make sure they're placed properly.

And just remember, most of my initial post was a joke. XD