Marines and Their Usefulness... and Uselessness

Maestro

A lot of people tend to bash Marines and say they're useless. If they're at the wheel of a vehicle, yes. But give them heavy weapons, then they're your best friends... most of the time. I'm the type of player that likes allies and does not kill them for the lulz, since they're good distractions... and can dish out some damage every once in a while.

While on my Legendary run of Halo 3, I gave as many Marines a Fuel Rod Gun as possible on Tsavo Highway. Not only are they more durable than the Chief in many cases, they are ridiculously overpowered with their bottomless clips. So I wind up with a horde of burly Marines pelting aliens with radioactive explosives who cannot run out of ammo. The Brutes at the bottom of the hill cannot return fire, as they're too busy diving out of the way of the fuel rods. Not only that, when I do manage to kill all the Brutes, the Marines wreck the incoming Phantoms! And that not only made the reinforcements stuck at the bottom, but it produced some glitch Brutes which could not attack me because they were not meant to not operate the side turrets. So I can jump on them, bump into them, bash them, and all they do is grunt and growl repeatedly.

When Reach came around, I expected the Marines to be buff death machines as well... that was not the case. While they dished out a decent amount of damage, they ended up killing themselves more often than damaging foes or just missing targets altogether.

I gave up hope in Halo 4 when they spent more time shooting corpses than shooting at live targets and died after three or four shots.

So word of advice to those who still haven't done their Legendary runs of Halo 3 and ODST, or just like to play Legendary on those games: give your Marines some goodies, and they shall do good things. Don't rely on them in Reach and Halo 4, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I always give the marines the power weapons!

In Halo 2 with rocket launchers they have bottomless clip and instant homing. SO OP!

Lol I was just gonna say in H3 the mission were every marine has a rocket launcher (for some reason) and they ride around on the backs of mongooses bottomless clips. It's nuts. lol.

• 1 month later...