No more Firefight?

bungieFTW

Firefight was Halo's answer to CODs zombies. It only ever existed in Halo Reach and for me presented the oppotunity to hone my skills or just have fun whilst battling waves upon waves of enemies. Now, in Halo 4 it has been completely removed. Perhaps it is just through the lazyness of 343 but probably more likely because they wanted to release the game as quickly as possible to be a contender with COD Black Ops 2. Still, they have been giving some updates to Halo 4 recently so they might add it in. I defianantly want to see firefight in Halo 5 even if they take thier time doing it. At least they added grifball back into Halo again... one of the most fun and creative game modes ever devised in an FPS.

Anybody else have any opinions as to what they want added back into Halo from previous games?

Maps, game modes, weapons/ items, etc. ?

Share them below!

Firefight was Halo's answer to CODs zombies.

No. Bungie saw what Epic Games was doing with Gears of War and copied their Horde mode.

It only ever existed in Halo Reach

It was first created in Halo 3: ODST actually.

Perhaps it is just through the lazyness of 343 but probably more likely because they wanted to release the game as quickly as possible

343i decided to remove Firefight because they felt it had reached it's furthest potential and could not be surpassed unless it underweant a massive overhaul. In addition to that, it had mindless gameplay with no real reason why you were fighting. 

343i wanted to test the waters of episodic content, and at the same time, provide a narrative that extended past the campaign. 

Firefight should definitely return, but I feel given the time constraints Halo 4 had, it's removal was justified.

• Like 2

Hated firefight. It was boring.

Anyway, how about GOOD game types?

Assault

Invasion

One flag CTF

Infection(Not flood)

VIP

These deserve some love.

Especially invasion, it was terrible in matchmaking but fun as hell in customs in different maps.

Though firefight versus had potential. If you could have more than four players

For me, Halo ODST firefight was the epitome of competitive cooperative play.  I have introduced many friends and family to Halo through the ODST firefight because it isn't the cut-throat competitiveness of online multiplayer.  Unlike Reach's firefight where the point was to steal your teammate's kills, ODST was about lasting as long as you can against ever more difficult waves of enemies.  ODST firefight may have had mindless gameplay, but I have never experienced more teamwork and camaraderie in any game mode in any game before or after.  Gears 3 horde, Reach firefight, COD zombies , etc was about beating your teammate where ODST was about working together to last as long as possible.  I cracked 2 million points only once and I loved the thrill of hero'ing someone back from death at the end of a wave.  All that being said, I have a few suggestions for 343i.

Please please PLEASE bring back ODST style firefight!  Endless increasingly difficult waves of enemies.  (Covenant, Flood, Human, and Prometheans)

Forge firefight.  Build your own firefight map.  Enemy spawn points.  Recreate Halo or IRL battles.  This would deff get me into Forge!

Storytelling through firefight.  Story can be progressed through hints on the level.  Let the player learn a story through exploration.

Lastly, Horde mode style defense.  Auto turrets, walls, mines, sentries, etc.  Give us the tower defense FPS we always dreamed of.

Vehicles and large maps to use them.

So, what do you guys think?  Push this through to 343i and let our voices be heard!

For me, Halo ODST firefight was the epitome of competitive cooperative play.  I have introduced many friends and family to Halo through the ODST firefight because it isn't the cut-throat competitiveness of online multiplayer.  Unlike Reach's firefight where the point was to steal your teammate's kills, ODST was about lasting as long as you can against ever more difficult waves of enemies.  ODST firefight may have had mindless gameplay, but I have never experienced more teamwork and camaraderie in any game mode in any game before or after.  Gears 3 horde, Reach firefight, COD zombies , etc was about beating your teammate where ODST was about working together to last as long as possible.  I cracked 2 million points only once and I loved the thrill of hero'ing someone back from death at the end of a wave.  All that being said, I have a few suggestions for 343i.

I completely agree, ODST's FF was very entertaining and probably the best. The only thing holding it back was the network issues and lack of matchmaking.

Please please PLEASE bring back ODST style firefight!  Endless increasingly difficult waves of enemies.  (Covenant, Flood, Human, and Prometheans)

Forge firefight.  Build your own firefight map.  Enemy spawn points.  Recreate Halo or IRL battles.  This would deff get me into Forge!

Storytelling through firefight.  Story can be progressed through hints on the level.  Let the player learn a story through exploration.

Lastly, Horde mode style defense.  Auto turrets, walls, mines, sentries, etc.  Give us the tower defense FPS we always dreamed of.

I think those would provide very fun gameplay if implemented properly. However, if you really want 343i to hear our voice, make a thread about the return of FireFight here.

Thank you for that link.  I started up a new topic on the waypoint forums to voice our ideas.  Lets push this through.  here.

I would like to retract my push for Horde style defenses.  Upon closer consideration, defenses and fortifications are not core to Halo's gameplay.  I may think the idea of those fortifications are a cool idea, but they may not fit well within the Halo universe or the Halo game mechanics.  I have a poll up.  Please visit the post, pick a poll choice and let's get Firefight back in the game.

Thanks guys.

343i decided to remove Firefight because they felt it had reached it's furthest potential and could not be surpassed unless it underweant a massive overhaul. In addition to that, it had mindless gameplay with no real reason why you were fighting. 

343i wanted to test the waters of episodic content, and at the same time, provide a narrative that extended past the campaign. 

1. If it has "reached it's furthest potential", that's a good thing.  Why would they remove it?

2. Only firefight matchmaking had mindless gameplay, and that's because 343 seemed to think that ArcadeFight was the only firefight gametype worthy of matchmaking.

3. Spartan Ops is really bad.

1. Because it wasn't innovative, and it's popularity was failing.

2. Bungie was the one who designed FireFight Arcade. When 343i took over, they wanted to leave Reach as intact as possible based on the way Bungie set the game up.

3. I was engaged with the story, I got to look forward to something new every week, and we got new lore past the campaign.

• 2 months later...

So, what do you guys think?  Push this through to 343i and let our voices be heard!

Im cool with Firefight returning but dont make it that i have to put 3 clips in an enemy before he goes down.  That absolutely drives me nuts in Spartan OPS

An fusion of the ODST firefight, Spartan Ops, and some elements from CoD Zombies and Gears Horde mode would probably do it for me.

I only ever played Reach Firefight in Matchmaking, where it was very entertaining. Custom Firefight was really pointless seeing you could edit it to make yourself invincible. I only used customs to get the Achievements (this was before I had Xbox Live).

I also really enjoyed Spartan Ops. I really dont see room to complain for it. The only problem I saw was the Gold requirement + Its been discontinued. I really would have liked a Season 2 before Halo 5 comes out (they said something about it continuing in Halo 5 I think).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad its gone because I hate staying in the back and having infinite ammo and I always run out there and someone else would just steal my kills. If they brought it back please get rid of the infinite ammo for mm only and have it set up so that you have to pick up another weapon (unable to suicide). T34M Paradox - Pandoras Ewrear

• 2 months later...

Furthest potential?  ie they liked Spartan Ops because it was worse?

And while Matchmaking Firefight (arcadefight) generally had mindless gameplay, it was mainly meant to be a legitimate survival mode.

And of course, 343 can't add anything to any part of the game unless it fits into the story somehow.  "There are no elites in the war games simulator" is not a legitimate excuse not to be able to play as elites.