Halo 5 Premature Release

Halo 5 is set to be released in 2014. That means the game was developed for two years.That's not enough time to make a truly great game. Such a short time means they will almost certainly be reusing assets unlike in other Halo games. Halo 5 may be exactly like Halo 4. This sort of mirrored game is unprecedented in the main Halo titles. Let me explain to you my reasoning and why long development times are so important.

Every big Halo game since Halo 1 has taken three years to release and has relied on entirely different graphical assets and a completely different engine. Each Halo game is different. This has made for some pretty incredible games, each being a brand new experience. Halo 5 is going to break that cycle. They will most likely have to reuse assets if the game is coming out so soon, otherwise they could not make the date.

Longer development times almost always make good games. So much so that it is almost objective fact. For example, Call of Duty has two year development times. Every year they use almost all the same assets. It has been running on the same engine for years ever since Call of Duty Modern Warfare's release. It is literally the same game every year with minor changes. At the opposite end of the spectrum are games like Skyrim with very lengthy development times. There were 5 years between Oblivion's release and Skyrim's. Skyrim is an incredible game with a lot of content. It could never be that way if it weren't in development for such a long time. There are many other examples I could use, but I (and many of you, probably) can relate to these examples the most.

In conclusion, without a longer development time Halo 5 is doomed to be a repeat of Halo 4 with some minor improvements. It's being released this early so Microsoft can keep making consistent money off the Halo franchise. Activision is successful using the Call of Duty model, so why can't Microsoft? It's good for corporate wallets, but it's not good for hardcore gamers who really care about the quality of their games. Unfortunately casual gamers out number hardcore gamers as potential customers, so it wont matter if we are alienated.

I don't see why Microsoft couldn't have made Halo spinoff games to breach the gap between now and a 2015 release. It's unfortunate that they made the decision they did when they had so many other options.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4414738/halo-xbox-one-2014

• Like 2

Like I already said, a teaser is not really enough to make judgement. It wasn't even gameplay, so how do you know they're reusing assets? Also, how do you know that they haven't been developing it alongside Halo 4? They might even be working on new graphics as we speak, the armour in the teaser might just be placeholder.

Like I already said, a teaser is not really enough to make judgement. It wasn't even gameplay, so how do you know they're reusing assets? Also, how do you know that they haven't been developing it alongside Halo 4? They might even be working on new graphics as we speak, the armour in the teaser might just be placeholder.

Like I said in the OP, a short dev time gives them less oportunity to make unique in-game assets. And the only work I imagine them doing on Halo 5 while working on Halo 4 is storyboarding and reusing Halo 4 assets.

Your title makes me snicker~ :X but anyway~ it is my belief that they will spend a moderate ammount of time developing this if they learned anything from the last one hopefully they will put a bit more care into this one. :3 Ultimately, what we get is what we get though. If they fail this time it will prolly be the last time they get to try too...

• Like 1

Your title makes me snicker~ :X but anyway~ it is my belief that they will spend a moderate ammount of time developing this if they learned anything from the last one hopefully they will put a bit more care into this one. :3 Ultimately, what we get is what we get though. If they fail this time it will prolly be the last time they get to try too...

to add to this

you have no idea how long its been in development for maybe just as long or longer as halo 4 :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Your title makes me snicker~ X.gif

Lol, I can't believe I didn't notice that. Quite fitting if you think about it.

Mr. Wolfy, on 11 Jun 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

but anyway~ it is my belief that they will spend a moderate ammount of time developing this if they learned anything from the last one hopefully they will put a bit more care into this one. :3 Ultimately, what we get is what we get though. If they fail this time it will prolly be the last time they get to try too...

Well, the hardcore community may have been upset, but it sold really well, so I don't think they will change their ways. It makes them the most money. Personally, I was really impressed with Halo 4's campaign. They had plenty of time to make it great and I think they delivered. It worrys me that Halo 5's campaign will be shoddy.

Caboose the Ace, on 11 Jun 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

to add to this

you have no idea how long its been in development for maybe just as long or longer as halo 4 thumbsup.gif

I personally think it's extraordinarily unlikely that they had any meaningful development of Halo 5 while working on Halo 4. I hope I'm wrong, I'm just looking at the situation objectively.

Lol, I can't believe I didn't notice that. Quite fitting if you think about it.

Well, the hardcore community may have been upset, but it sold really well, so I don't think they will change their ways. It makes them the most money. Personally, I was really impressed with Halo 4's campaign. They had plenty of time to make it great and I think they delivered. It worrys me that Halo 5's campaign will be shoddy.

I personally think it's extraordinarily unlikely that they had any meaningful development of Halo 5 while working on Halo 4. I hope I'm wrong, I'm just looking at the situation objectively.

did you know assassins creed 3 and four where in development at the same time and how do you know 343 was developing halo 4 alongside halo 5 or maybe even longer :thumbsup:

• Like 1

did you know assassins creed 3 and four where in development at the same time and how do you know 343 was developing halo 4 alongside halo 5 or maybe even longer :thumbsup:

Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 are good examples of what's wrong with game developing these days.

Because apparently he knows everything about 343, thinks that a teaser = final gameplay footage and can't handle the thought of them making 2 games at once. I tried speaking with this guy in the shoutbox, but he's just an idiot.

Strawman and Ad Hominem attacks show just how weak you and your arguements are. Can't just have a civil discussion? Does this forum have any moderation?

• Like 1

Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 are good examples of what's wrong with game developing these days.

Ad Hominem attacks show just how weak you and your arguements are. Can't just have a civil discussion? Does this forum have any moderation?

How are my arguments weak? Teaser does not equal "Final". How hard is it to get that through your thick skull? Sequel development isn't always post-release of the current game. In fact, Halo 4 was in development since before Reach, so how do you know when Halo 5 was started? Teaser does not equal final. Like I said, 343i might have a huge team working on Halo 5 so that they can polish new content. Again, teaser does not equal final. Just had to say it again, in case it STILL goes over your head. Teaser does not equal final. You got it this time?

How are my arguments weak? Teaser does not equal "Final". How hard is it to get that through your thick skull? Sequel development isn't always post-release of the current game. In fact, Halo 4 was in development since before Reach, so how do you know when Halo 5 was started? Teaser does not equal final. Like I said, 343i might have a huge team working on Halo 5 so that they can polish new content. Again, teaser does not equal final. Just had to say it again, in case it STILL goes over your head. Teaser does not equal final. You got it this time?

Can we calm down a bit~? ^-^;

It's kinda hard when you're talking to someone as ignorant as this.

He's just saying that if they are already announcing it, clearly they have intentions of releasing it within a year or two which is clearly not very long for development unless they are working on it beforehand...I mean its a legitamate point... O -o I myself wasn't expecting a Halo trailer for another year or so...

He's just saying that if they are already announcing it, clearly they have intentions of releasing it within a year or two which is clearly not very long for development unless they are working on it beforehand...I mean its a legitamate point... O -o I myself wasn't expecting a Halo trailer for another year or so...

See, again we don't know how long they've been working on it. We don't know enough about 343 to make a premature judgement. I have faith in 343 and I think they're gonna blow us away completely with the next Halo game.

• Like 1

Strawman and Ad Hominem attacks show just how weak you and your arguements are. Can't just have a civil discussion? Does this forum have any moderation?

okay assassins creed 3 and four where developed by different ubisoft teams just like maybe halo 4 and 5 different teams :thumbsup:

• Like 1

JXZAW, on 11 Jun 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Again, you're still strawmanning my arguments. I didn't even mention the trailer in my OP. And you're still being rude, just because I'm disagreeing with you. Are you really that weak willed that you can't deal with a difference of opinion? You really have to personally attack and disrespect me?

See, again we don't know how long they've been working on it. We don't know enough about 343 to make a premature judgement. I have faith in 343 and I think they're gonna blow us away completely with the next Halo game.

okay assassins creed 3 and four where developed by different ubisoft teams just like maybe halo 4 and 5 different teams :thumbsup:

These are good points... o3o

Again, you're still strawmanning my arguments. I didn't even mention the trailer in my OP post. And you're still being rude, just because I'm disagreeing with you. Are you really that weak willed that you can't deal with a difference of opinion? You really have to personally attack and disrespect me?

Cantchu both make up and be buds~? :D

Again, you're still strawmanning my arguments. I didn't even mention the trailer in my OP post. And you're still being rude, just because I'm disagreeing with you. Are you really that weak willed that you can't deal with a difference of opinion? You really have to personally attack and disrespect me?

There's a difference between an opinion and sheer ignorance. Nothing is final, nothing is known and yet you act like you know everything. Troll somewhere else, please.

There's a difference between an opinion and sheer ignorance. Nothing is final, nothing is known and yet you act like you know everything. Troll somewhere else, please.

O -o The guy is discussing a somewhat legitamate fear, and you posted your opinion to the contrary. He isn't trolling... It's just we have to wait to see if his fear is realized or your dream comes true...

O -o The guy is discussing a somewhat legitamate fear, and you posted your opinion to the contrary. He isn't trolling... It's just we have to wait to see if his fear is realized or your dream comes true...

I'm stating that it's too early to judge, and he has no evidence to support his points. That's all.

Your posts are pathetic. I'm making assumptions based on inference. I am not pretending to know everything. Seems like you can flame on this board all you want.

I'm stating that it's too early to judge, and he has no evidence to support his points. That's all.

They did release the trailer a bit early unless they were working on this beforehand, and we don't have evidence of if they worked on it beforehand or not. So both sides kinda have a chance to be right... So perhaps we can settle this over a cupcake eating contest~? ∩( ・ω・)∩

Your posts are pathetic. I'm making assumptions based on inference. I am not pretending to know everything. Seems like you can flame on this board all you want.

Let's not degrade this situation more please... v-v;

Care to elaborate as to how my posts are pathetic? You're judging too early. Plain and simple. I try to explain, but your ignorance makes it almost impossible.

you never know though...halo 5 will probably look like halo 4 but if you look at the teaser trailer it looks like they put alot of work into it...they may have done a better job with halo 5 this time...or not...but all i know is that its gonna have an awsome story line...

• Like 1

They did release the trailer a bit early unless they were working on this beforehand, and we don't have evidence of if they worked on it beforehand or not. So both sides kinda have a chance to be right... So perhaps we can settle this over a cupcake eating contest~? ∩( ・ω・)∩

Let's not degrade this situation more please... v-v;

What am I supposed to do? Let him insult me all he wants?

It appears to be a certainty that Halo 5 is to be released next year. I'll update my OP.

What am I supposed to do? Let him insult me all he wants?

It appears to be a certainty that Halo 5 is to be released next year. I'll update my OP.

Well one of you could be the bigger man and not return the cutdowns you recieve thereby increasing the civility of this arguement 1000x...