How to apply for a job.

byob guy

For starters you'll need to show them some previous relevant work: no matter how good you actually are, there's no way they're going to give you a job unless you can prove that you're that skilled. While any previous short stories or pieces of fanfiction you've written might seem like a good start, they're really just extras you can put on any application to make it look more impressive, because you want to show them not just that you're a good writer, but that you can make that writing work as a game.

In short, you'll need to show an understanding of game development to some degree: this means that you'll need to show them any previous video games whose creation you've contributed to. Since you're wanting to be a writer, this means that you'll need something where you've had a big degree of creative input and control, not just that you were a beta tester or took part in a survey. If you haven't already had that kind of impact on the creation of a videogame, you need to get it before they'll even consider hiring you. No matter how good your writing is, they aren't going to give any creative input over one of the biggest videogame franchises to someone who hasn't already proved that they can get the job done.

If you don't already have that kind of experience, there's a few ways to get it. Websites like Newgrounds are full of Adobe Flash-based games, so learning to use Flash and creating something with that is an option. You could also try creating a text-based browser game, if you have any knowledge of HTML coding: if not, I'm pretty sure there'll be programs out there that can teach you to do it, or even software programs that can do it for you, where all you need to do is write the story and decide what you want to do. If that's not your thing, try downloading the Adventure Game Studio software, which as I understand is very easy to use and gives you a lot of creative options. If you're feeling extremely ambitious and have a lot of programming knowledge, spare time and friends, you could also try using the Unreal Engine, whose older versions are now, I think, available to use for free under fair use agreements: while you couldn't sell anything you made with it, writing and directing the creation of a small game within that engine, with two or three other people working with you, would be a great way of showing off not only your own writing skills, but your ability to work with teams and organisational skills.

Once you've created something you're proud of and it's in the public domain (i.e. it's available for other people to find, whether hosted on a website or purchasable through Steam or even P2P file-sharing, if you don't care about making a profit), start writing stuff to do with Halo. Say where you want to take the series: be, clear, confident and consistent in your opinions. They're more likely to give you a job if they think you have a definite plan in mind and know exactly how to do it than if you come across as unsure and directionless.

So in short, show them you have prior experience at writing and creating good games (the greater the amount of successful stuff you've been involved in, the better!) and that you can not only bring your skills to Halo, but that you know exactly how you're going to use them. The mostly likely outcome is that you still won't get a job - they claim that they already have the whole Reclaimer Trilogy planned out and they must get hundreds of applications, for job vacancies that might not actually be open - but it gives you a much better chance than having no prior experience at all, and depending on how successful your own work is you might be able to start your own indie development group or even get hired by an existing company: both of these will increase your chances of eventually getting picked up by a really big studio.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

• Like 1

I agree with Halogeek99. First you have to learn how to tell a story. The best way to do that is simply to write one. It doesn't have to be about Halo; in fact, it shouldn't--you shouldn't limit your horizons, but definitely keep to science fiction. My first book (if you can call it that) was pretty bad. My advice: never write in the first-person future tense. You might be wondering what writing a book has to do with developing Halo's story. I learned through my first writing experience what worked and what didn't. I saw potential in some characters I created, and then I saw how my implementation really stifled the progress of the story. So start writing some stories (or at least start thinking about them) and remember: the best way to gain experience is to go do something. Good luck.

I meant to say the present tense back there. The future tense would also be difficult, of course. :D