Halo: Militia (RP)

[sorry for absence]

He began running the courtyard. In about 2 minutes, Jacob was exhausted as his underdeveloped muscles refused to obey his commands. It was funny, the recruitment program's only ever showed footage of marines killing dinos, ODST's landing from their pods and Spartans... Well, just being Spartans. Never anything such as six mil runs around a courtyard. Jacob looked up, exhausted and saw the other recruits way ahead of him, bags and all. Of course, most if them were fairly fit and would have no problem. He tried running again, spikes of pain shooting up his legs. He stopped after another two metres, if this is military life, it better be worth it when I'm on the battlefield he thought as he looked around the courtyard. By this point, he noticed the Pelican had already departed from its resting position and was out of sight. Then, he only realised what the steady clatter in the distance was. He was outside a firing range. He looked in, and saw some other recruits with rifles in hand

Alison, having sat in the pelican for hours, was happy to get to do something other than sit there. She began running like instructed, pacing herself for the long run. She was about half way through the run when she finally had to stop for a minute.

Kyro sat in sillence for a second before motioning to the AR D.J. was holding, "This what we have to work with? Looks pretty innacurate... Heard you tap firing it on the way in. Speaking of which, the place is kinda empty huh? Wasn't any CO's yelling at me when I got off the bird, there was this cute chick though..." Kyro picked up an AR and wandered back to the range next to D.J. "but seriously, where is everyone?" 

["Moderate long range sniping skills" is oddly specific for a fresh new recruit. There aren't a whole lot of civilian experiences that can grant you that skill. Also, the place isn't exactly "empty," Kawolski was just shouting at the fresh group to run around the base for not arriving with the primary batch in the first place. The firing range is also occupied by some good thirty or so recruits, so yeah. Not empty.]

Kawolski had been checking the line, watching the recruits' varying scores feed through on his datapad. He stopped at the sight of a fresh face conversing with one of the recruits, which happened to be Jones. For a man on thin ice, "DJ" really couldn't be blamed for this one, he told himself. That didn't change the fact he was ready to break someone's fingers out of sheer frustration.

"Range cold!" he shouted to Geza, who in turn blew his whistle. Staggering, the fire slowed to halt and within a moment, Gabe was mere inches from Recruit Kyro. "This ain't no f***ing meet n' greet, it's a firing range! If you didn't hear me the first time, and I'm assuming you did having come from the same batch as the rest of your group, you won the prize for the rest of the runners! You all get to run ten miles, and every minute you stand here is another two! Move your ***!"

["civilian" doesnt exactly fit with the criteria of being in the aformentioned gang]

Kyro looked up slowly at the man who he assumed was an officer and managed to catch the last half of what the man was saying before he realized the man was yelling about him. Standing up slowly from the range he turned to face the man and came to his approximation of standing at attention. He listened to the man before throwing a halfhearted salute and moving to the door to start running. "Well, s***, some first day..." he said as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

Jacob thought about entering the range, but decided that the Sergeant wasn't exactly in the best of moods. He quickly looked back at the two recruits he had seen talking, making a mental note to at least show them how to use a shotgun and aim properly, before leaving. As he began to walk away, he realised that the rifles were old, MA5... B? Yeah, the sixty two round clip made sense. If that Was the equipment on this base, then training was very serious. He began around the yard, this time walking. Of course, the sergeant seemed a little busy shooting so he probably would not be noticed.

Alison, having almost competed the six miles, thought that it was weird that a guy from the same pelican wasn't running. She continued running until she finally finished the six mile circuit. She sat down next to some of the others that had finnished running. She was thinking about why they were using such an old complex, but realized its probably because of budget.

[Wolfy, bear in mind it was a street gang. having a gun at all was a rarity. most of the time they just beat the crap out of people.]

D.J. hopped up, set the empty AR back in it's box, and jogged off after Kyro.

"Great work... 700 push ups and 16 miles today. Lovin' this..." D.J. said, actually dejected for once. he worked out a lot back home, but this was overkill.

[Wolfy, bear in mind it was a street gang. having a gun at all was a rarity. most of the time they just beat the crap out of people.]

D.J. hopped up, set the empty AR back in it's box, and jogged off after Kyro.

"Great work... 700 push ups and 16 miles today. Lovin' this..." D.J. said, actually dejected for once. he worked out a lot back home, but this was overkill.

(he did say though to go with skills we also felt comfortable with in rl~ am I required to pull out my riflerange targets~?)

Kyro shrugged then mumbled sideways to D.J., "Look on the bright side, the girls will love that perfectly toned body. I'll bet you we get out of here, and first mission we go on, you'll save some local girl and she'll be stalking you on every planet you go to for the rest of your natural life." 

["Civilian" does apply even to gangs. And I'm not sure if we're on the same page as to what "long range sniping" means. I'm not talking about proficiency at firearms ranges. 600 meters is far, but it's not long range in the Haloverse. Marksmanship might've been a better term, but even so, you created a character who was out of a street gang. I'd advise an explanation, as I've been pretty lenient on player skills lately. For the most part I meant that if you have a specific skill that you want your character to have, make it develop in training.]

By now, all of the recruits were dried on their ammo reserves. Some began to shuffle away after stowing their weapons as though they were dismissed, likely following the example of a few who were still running. For whatever reason Jones followed the newer recruit, who was clearly an acquaintance of his, Gabe didn't care about. It saved him the trouble of having to put him through more PT.

The Staff Sergeant checked his watch. It read 19:55. "Alright, everyone pack up your rifles, clean 'em off and take the rest of the day to get some rest or see the medics--which I advise after the hell you soft heels went through today." He turned, a single Corpsman returning his gaze in the distance. "Call back all of our runners and have them fall in attention at the courtyard. I think they've had enough."

"You got it, Staff Sergeant," the man said before jogging to the perimeter. As each recruit passed by, the Corpsman waved them back into the compound, all the while with a hand over the I/FAK on his thigh. At least one of the recruits was bound to have sore feet. "Fall in at the courtyard--stand to! Go! Go!"

[Yeah, I'm trying to set my character up as a sharp-shooter, so at this stage of training, from a prone position, he's able to fire single shots very accurately. I'll be developing more along these lines as we go. :awesome:

Also, I had D.J. follow Kyro because you made it sound like all the recruits at the range had to run. My mistake.]

D.J. trudged back into the courtyard, and took a position on the ready line, trying to stand as straight as he could. He didn't know why either. It had only been one day, but he felt like Kawolski had gotten to him. He had to respect the guy's balls to the wall style, but he'd be damned if he wouldn't have his fun before he got deployed. That could wait until after a good night's sleep though.

Alison jogged over and stood at attention. She took a look at the other recruits. She saw a tall one, a few that looked scared, and a couple that looked like they didn't care. She couldn't wait to see what the sarge had in mind for the next task.

Grateful for the rest, Javob managed to half jog, half walk back to the group. Luckily, no one seemed to notice until he was already there. As he stood waiting for new orders, he saw some of the people from the firing range. And some of the others. It seemed as if everyone was here. Hopefully, it is a strategic war game next though he doubted it.

After wondering about that, he began to wonder if the facility had war games pods. From the look of the equipment, budget must be tight, and they were an expensive piece of equipment.

A Corpsman approached Marcus from the side and gave him a firm-but-painless kick to the side of his leg to grab his attention. "You heard the Staff Sergeant. Fall in."

Gabe had been tapping his finger against his wristwatch on a separate beat to the footfalls of many recruits falling in line. While Alpha group was cleaning off and getting settled for the last three hours, he had to rebrief the fresh faces--save for Jones--that were now all in line. A few of them were panting, some struggling with the attentive stance. Others took it well, especially one who seemed to duck out of the whole intro altogether. Gabe shook his head at that, and after orienting himself to face the lot of them, slipping his thumbs in his pockets, he finally spoke.

"I expected better." He paused to let that sink in, then continued. "Forty two. Forty...two. That's how many recruits are actively training in this camp. Twenty-seven of you were already here, on time, and because brass deemed it necessary to make you feel special with an airlift right in the middle of our courtyard--which I might add is hardly suitable for a landing zone--I had to test your ability to blend in under pressure. Can't say I'm pleased with that.

"Because HIGHCOM made a mistake, you have to pay for it. Because a few from your group didn't listen to instructions, you had to pay for it. If one person screws up, you pay for it because you're just as much to blame for not looking out in the first place. If any of you think you're all going to be acting independently out here, you couldn't be more wrong."

He crossed his hands behind his back. "We're done for today. Tomorrow we start again, not too different of a schedule but you guys are going to have to make up for missing out on hand-to-hand and weapons training." He leaned out to the side to peer through the group of recruits, locking eyes with DJ. "Jones, since you went the extra mile and at least attempted to course correct the newcomers, you're shower rights have been restored. Congratulations. And speaking of showering," he said glancing at Marcus, "you get to clean scrub the floors of the shower room with a rag, and I best be able to see myself come the following morning. Copacetic?"

Kyro thundered in after the group had been dismissed and, after leaning down in an attempt to catch his breath, realizing it wasn't helping, and finally, using a method he had learned priorly, of standing straight and breathing in while extending one's arms before breathing out while retracting them, he finally thumped his way up to the C.O. who had sent him on the run and, saluting, stated, "Run finished, reporting in...sir." This last direct adress was thrown in after a second of thought.

Alison went over to D.J. and decided to talk to the guy. She knew he would have to know that, since he was here before.

"Hey... D.J. Right? Can you show me around the place a little?"

She thought: why am I asking the guy that sounds like he was named by a gang?

Jacob ran up to the sergeant before he forgot. He had a question to ask.

"Uh, Sergeant? Sorry for the interruption but when do we get split into squads or have training excercises. Y'know, in the woods, those paint rounds. Because if we do them, I'd like to volunteer as a strategist or leader or something...."

He lowered his voice, quickly realising how stupid his request would sound. It sounded better in his head.

D.J. was a little confused as the one of the new arrivals asked him to show them around.

"Uh, yeah. I'll give ya the ten cent tour."

He led her around, pointing out the places he knew, which wasn't much. He hadn't really paid attention earlier. They arrived in front of the bunk house.

"And here's where we stay. Looks awfully cozy, eh?"

Gabe took half a glance at Kyro. He wanted to call it a night with "Get the f*** out of here," but he instead opened with, "Since it took you this long to fall in, and you missed my lecture on professionalism, you'll be joining Marcus in scrubbing down the shower rooms. Dismissed."

At that point, he was approached by another recruit. "Uh, Sergeant? Sorry for the interruption but when do we get split into squads or have training excercises. Y'know, in the woods, those paint rounds. Because if we do them, I'd like to volunteer as a strategist or leader or something...."

He admired the fact that the kid was enthusiastic after the run, but what he was asking for was damn near insulting. A Staff Sergeant handing off squad leader or logistical command to someone who didn't even have a rank yet was as bad as giving a child a rifle. Granted, there was a first time for everything, but there was a reason they had procedures.

"If you get far enough to perform in field training operations, then you'll volunteer for what I tell you to, understood? No one gets special treatment. Anything else?"

Kyro went to the showers and ran the whole place through with a mop several times. Another guy was cleaning up various segments of the room, but he seemed to be very preoccupied so Kyro decided not to disturb him. He finished up cleaning the floor to his satisfaction and then wandered outside.