Halo: Militia (RP)

Kyro stared blankly around the room, it seemed so dull and laid back. He heard D.J. making a comment about how this place beat the slums and snorted at the thought. He then noticed a man swiping a seat next to a pair of guys nearer the center of the room. He then noted the fact that every seat at his table had been avoided by the newcomers and chuckled at the thought that his appearance might actually be frightening to these people. He went back to listening to two men and their unexpected guest as they awkwardly conversed. Then noticed the girl who had rode in on the same pelican as him sitting down at this table as well. The two men were already displeased at being interupted once, and Kyro nearly started laughing out loud when he imagined their thoughts on being interupted by TWO people stealing seats at their table.

Standing up Kyro walked over to the young lady and realizing she was grinning somewhat mischieviously. Winking, he asked in as serious a tone as possible, "Mind if I slide in on this bench? The rest the room seems occupied..."

Making a big show Kyro squeezed into the tiny space of bench Alison had opened for him, a large feat seeing as the benches were only made for two people maximum. Setting his tray down he sighed in mock relief before looking up at one of the conversating individuals and saying, "So...What ARE we talking about this fine day?" He accomplished saying this with a rather annoying grin on his face while streching his legs, much to the annoyance of the individuals across from him.

Picking up his tray and placing it on the rack for washing, Jacob then walked over to one of the tables at random. He didnt know how long he had left until training began, but it must be a while if recruits were still arriving. He chose a table at random, sat down and looked at the occupants, who clearly wondered why he had sat there without invitation. Three guys sat there, and quickly began their conversation. He interrupted, saying "Hey, what time does training start? Oh, and I'm Jacob, by the way." He continued, hoping for a response other than rejection.

Despite what could be seen as common belief, Sam wasn't irritated with the new arrivals. In fact, he was glad to see more recruits conforming to his and Grec's table. He always liked people, liked interacting with them. With some hope, he would use this as a stepping stone for building trust or at least familiarity when team mentality starts to come about.

"Oh not much really," he replied to Kyro, noting his rather comic looking expression and sarcastic tone, "Just odds and ends really." He had to keep himself from cringing as he later noticed his attempts at an "advance" on the female arrival.

Just then, another recruit materialized nearby, introducing himself and requesting a possible time on training runs. "Well since we're all playing the dating game," Dwyer laughed, "I'm Sam." With a half glance at a few others in the room, he shook his head. "I don't know why you guys are so eager to rush back into training. Count your blessings and rest while you can."

Meanwhile, Staff Sergeant Kawolski ran a thumb over his wristwatch's screen, wiping away a smuge from the analog's viewport. Geza was across the room, hands folded behind his back with a plain expression. Systematically, he would look in Gabe's direction, looking for approval, each time recieving a headshake.

"Five more minutes," the Staff Sergeant mouthed.

Alison looked at the annoying recruit that was making a big show out of siting down. she almost wanted to punch him, but decided getting in trouble wasnt worth it. she finished eating after a couple of minutes and walked away.

[traitor  =3=]

Kyro stared at the individuals across the table from him who didn't react much to his suprise. He concealed his disapointment though it caused him to completely miss the fact that a new guy had just randomly appeared and begun conversing with them all.

"Hey, ya know, It can't be worse than waking every day at 5AM to got to school, farmlands are pretty far away from everywhere. Still, I'm staying positive, I signed up for it, may as well try and enjoy it, huh?"

Grec looked over at Jacob, seemingly surveying him for a long moment, "Their is a difference between liking something and tolerance. So I'm tolerating the bull****, because that's how things are going to be if I hit the fleet. But I'm also not going to slap a big grin on my face and pretend that the Corps is somehow above the bull****, because it's not true and I'm not going to lull myself into pretending it is," the recruit finished off his carton of orange juice, "In short, I'd recommend toning down your excitement, the dee-eye might skull-**** you for being too happy."

[There we go.]

Gabe rested his hand on the door handle leading to the outside. Turning his head to Geza, he sent the man a nod across the room, and without a moment wasted, he weaved his way out the door in some haste. The Sergeant, on the other hand, stayed a moment longer, taking his signal with a grin. One hand behind his back, his thumb slammed down on the primer of a stun grenade, and as he about-faced for his own exit, he swung his arm around, landing the obnoxious deterrent in the center of the mess hall.

Much to Dwyer's surprise, Grec turned out to be the more hardspoken type of man than he originally expected. He had all but verbally crushed the hype, but Sam couldn't care less. He laughed instead, but his amusement was short lived. The blast was barely heard before his hearing went out, but the last thing he saw--ironically, Kyro, the last person he wanted to look at--was imprinted in his vision for the next few moments, slowly replaced by multi-colored sunspots that mocked the outlines of everyone around him.

The ringing came next, and by now he figured out that he had fallen from his seat, holding his head with one hand, meanwhile someone's boot came close to crushing his other. Another close call came from a set of obsidian black combat boots matched with crisp black fatigues. Without the unsteady gait of post-disorientation, the cleaner--and equally sinister--figure approached him next, tossing one recruit aside.

"Get up! Get the f*** up!"

Sam's head felt like it had been stuck in a church bell, but something was pulling up to his feet, either himself through some ethereal state or someone else with the courtesy to make him look less like an idiot.

"Out! Out! Out! Everybody get the f*** out and assemble the line!"

Kyro had had the general luck of having pushed his shades down to avoid the myrthful stares at him from across the table when a nade had slid across the room. He had at first concluded it was one of the gas canisters he had seen the police use on large groups of individuals from back on the planet he came from. Sucking in air to hold his breath, he succeeded in only letting it out in a suprised shout when the "gas" canister flashed blinding him partially for a matter of seconds. He watched as a few of the individuals at the table with him fell from their seats clutching their eyes. Then, he heard someone shouting in a distorted voice for them to exit the building. Looking down, he grabbed the two guys nearest him and, dragging them across the floor, grabbed D.J. and stumbled his way to the door of the building.

[boot camp is what's happening in the story. Since these aren't traditional Marines or Army troopers, Staff Sergeant Kawolski and Sergeant Geza can train the Militiamen however they see fit. While using non-lethal ordnance on your own candidates during chow seems outlandish, it's no crazier than the live fire exercises that armed forces do in today's militaries.]

"Move your *ss, Fawks! No one's coming back for you! Dwyer! Did I see you stumble?!"

Truth be told, Sam admitted, he did stumble, just in time to avoid the corner of a table from making full contact with his groin. If making him look weak for a moment saved him from burning pain, then so be it. Eventually he found his way out the door, placing enough recruits between him and Sergeant Geza to avoid anymore hardship and grief. Managing to find the line, his eyes watered as he tried to focus his feet in the proper placement, aching from the morning sunlight against his already sensitive eyes.

Inside, Geza was still chewing out whoever was left, but Sam needed to know where the other shark was. He wouldn't feel safe otherwise...

"Shut up!" Geza snapped, mere inches from the back of Jones' head just to make sure he got the message. "You're dead! You're all dead! Had this been real, Yovvie the Covvie would be drinking from your skulls right about now!"

It wasn't entirely true, despite the emotion and effort the ODST Sergeant was placing into his charade. They had made rather good timing, and he knew it, as did Kawolski who was now standing before the messy line-up, tapping his wristwatch. About to speak, his leg started burning again, just above the knee, where it always did. He shifted his weight to cope, rather than reaching down to scratch at it in front of his recruits.

"If it's any consolation," he began, "Twenty-one point eight seconds was better than the batch I had four months ago. Maybe there's hope for you yet. Now that we've got you all warmed up," a grin formed over his face, "time to go back to the sand pits, we've got something special for you today."

"Don't feel too dead..." D.J. Chuckled. "Although, I hardly think the Covies will line us up and yell at our corpses."

D.J. felt like showing off, making sure they'd see he wasn't just muscle.

"Besides, why would the Covies attack a mess hall? Seems like they's hit the armory, make sure we couldn't arm up, then just cut us all down... More fun for the Elites."

In the back of his mind, D.J. was laughing.

Gettin' some push ups for that one, if they don't beat my A-- first, he thought.

Glaring blankly Kyro spat in the dirt next to him at the mention of the Covenant, and rolling his neck, popped it all the way from the base of his skull to the top of his back at the mention of more exercise. Smirking at D.J. comment and at the fact he could even make a joke after being completely blinded, Kyro made his way towards the pits.

"Recruit," Kawolski said firmly once Jones was finished speaking. "Firstly," he began, stopping the formation of recruits, "The enemy cannot arm themselves if they're already dead, and catching them off guard when they're most comfortable is far better than catching them alert and without guns. You feel me so far?"

Without warning, he took a step forward, one that DJ undoubtedly saw coming and might've been able to recognize as threatening. The Staff Sergeant's original intentions were to sucker punch him in line, but at this rate he'd probably get the point either way. "Second: If you think you're the wiser, then by all means, ask, and I'll give you a shot at the brass ring. Just bear in mind that I have had about just enough of your bull**** to leave you on the streets. Now move."

"Riiiight." D.J. rolled his eyes, and marched off.

"Totally explains Harvest doesn't it? If they wanted to fight that way, we'd be in a lot worse situation. The kinda S--- they pack could take out any of our ships, but we keep getting into these long ground wars. You can't honestly tell me you don't wonder about that."

Gabe stepped in front of the recruit this time, half a mind to ring the arrogant b*stard's neck. "Are you a shrink, Jones? Are you a combat analyst, human-intelligence, that sort of thing? For a gangbanging piece of sh**, you sure talk like you're well informed, like you know a thing or two about what you're up against. I can tell you already that that'll get all of you killed, if not by the Covenant, then by me, making you dig holes until you pass out long enough for us to forget and bury you. So by all means, keep talking. Keep running your f***ing mouth. It's big enough for your whole platoon, so how about you speak for them as well?"

Jacob looked onwards, still stunned by the grenade that had been thrown. He didn't understand how he got to where he was, by he was now watching the Sarge getting real angry at another guy. He tried to hide his smirk as he caught his eye, much like in his previous school when a student was getting shouted at. Some things never changed. He continued to listen in on this interesting... Conversation for some time as he tried to not get noticed by the instructor.

[helljumper said i could control Tranquility's character for thr RP's sake lol so expect nothing amazing]

Alison walked toward the sandpit, still unable to think. she saw that guy... D.J. she remembered... getting yelled at again and kinda chuckled under her breathe, because that recruit kept getting himself in trouble almost twice a day. she walked next to the really tall guy, kinda wondering why he's almost always smiling. she thought about asking him later, but decided it'd be better not to.

[i'm liking DJ's omnicient misconception already. Whether he gets surprised or not by it, I'm hoping he is there for the revelation that there's more to the training than just being able to walk into the fire. But if it's "cannon fodder" that you're expecting the training to crank out then that's probably what's going to happen by the end of basic. That being said, the platoon won't last very long if they can get interrupted by a verbal dispute every few minutes.]

Noting Recruit Jone's thousand-yard stare as he pried away, Gabe lead on, Geza close in tow. Eventually, they came to the pit, forming two lines, and at the front of each was either instructor. Beyond the first area of the sandpit was now a twelve foot wall, and everything beyond was left to the imagination. From their back pockets, they each pulled a canister of mace, the kind favored by law enforcement and MPs alike.

"You learned how to fight yesterday," Gabe said. "Now you're gonna know how to fight blind. Once you've had your turn, hop the wall, and from there you'll hopefully find your target--a punching bag. There's four, so don't worry about crowding the pit. Give it a good fifteen seconds hate, then move forward. There'll be an eighty pound rucksack. Put it on, sprint back to the rifle range. The Corpsmen will guide you to your booth, in it a BR55 combat rifle. As fast as you can, load it, shoulder up, and put your best placement downrange."

"All of this will be done while you're mostly blinded by mace, by the way," Geza announced with a plain expression that sent a chill down Dwyer's spine. "Eyes wide."

Sam, still processing what was going on, instinctively raised both brows in question. Before he realized his mistake, a full second sensation that mixed traits of fire, acid, and every quick corrosive element he could thing of was unleashed into both of his eyes. He withdrew, cursing aloud, even cursing out Geza, whose smiling expression he was only able to gauge by his laughing voice.

"Motherf***er!"

"Hop the wall! Go! Go! Go!"