Armor Ability Ideas

SM295

I've had a few ideas for new Armor Abilities, as well as some possible changes to existing ones.

The first one I thought of was an EMP. Fires off an EMP which has a similar but greater effect than an overcharged Plasma Pistol shot. It has a radius slightly larger than Regen Field, and a recharge time similar to Regen Field. If an enemy Spartan is inside the blast radius, their shields are lost and recharge normally after the normal delay. Their armor ability's charge will also be lost, and recharges normally. Vehicles have a standard EMP effect that lasts about 15 seconds. The EMP takes a second to deploy and a second to recover from, during which time an animation something like Drop Shield's deployment is taking place, except the Spartan is punching the ground, not merely throwing something onto it, which means no moving or shooting. Allies and the user are unaffected.

Next is Hardlight Barricade. It deploys a single piece of cover which is slightly longer than the Cover, Crenellation Forge piece, but capable of being crouched behind for the enitre length. If you stand up, you can shoot back, but can be shot. You can't shoot through the barricade, or be shot through it. Vehicles cannot pass through it. Deployment time, recharge time and duration deployed are the same as Autosentry.

Then I thought of Kinetic Pulse. Which I kinda got from the Drop Surge article. (http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/27216-ideaarmor-ability-drop-surge/) (OK, I got pretty much the entire idea from it. Please don't hate me) There's just a few details about it that shouldn't be speculated. Recharge time, deployment time, deployment animation and radius are that of the EMP, and it affects everything that can be moved. Meaning not structure pieces or objects with fixed/phased physics, but anything else like enemies, vehicles, and even allies are affected. Obviously the smaller the object the greater the effect, and the further from the source the lesser the effect. But I figured it'd be fun to just throw some crates at your enemies.

FInally, Flarelight. (Please, someone, think of a better name for it!) Basically, it produces a quick, blinding light, with an animation that is pretty much exactly like Drop Shield, but the little blue ball is white, and very bright. If you're looking at it when it deploys, you're blind for about 6-7 seconds. Recharge time is about the same as Promethean Vision.

Just one last thing for possible modification: Thruster Pack. I'd prefer to move a little further with it if possible :D

Well, that's everything. Feel free to add new ideas, comment on existing ones, and moan at me because I did something wrong. (Not too much of the last one plz)

• Like 3

Great Ideas!

I think thrust pack would be better if it was a rapid burst is whatever direction you were looking: up, down, etc... And then Jetpack is more for flight. Making a bigger distiction between the two. So thrust pack would be useful to make jumps and getting between cover, and jetpack is for adjusting midflight as well as better sustained flight.

i like the idea and saw your post on the other thread. we don't hate you for copying the idea. we are fine with it as long as you give the credit for who ever first made it and for stating it was another thread like you did.

i like the thruster pack idea. i just think it should take you farther and the jetpack needs to be more like reaches jet pack was. also i also had kind of like the idea of the drop surge. where it's a bit more of a drop shield but deflects bullets, and anything around you but it doesn't fade ways every time it takes damage, it stops vehicles if they try to run into you, and it goes all around you and sucks up gooses, ghosts (because they are lighter) and spits them out by about 5-6 feet. when it launches the goose and ghost it launches them only fast enough to take dow an enemies shield and push them back a bit. the rest like crates or barricades, or guns and those things get launched far and fast, fast enough to splatter some one but barely, so 99.9 % of the time it will kill you. it's conter is thruster (like stated in the pasted article) and had light shield. it doesn't do nothing to tanks and to banshees and hogs it pushes them a few feet but not enough to hurt anyone. i hope that explains enough and i thought it before the link to the other thread. and for any weapons all i want is the promethium sword. it looks awesome!

Thruster Pack defo needs to take you further, that'd make it actually useful. Reach's Jet Pack had a little extra fuel for a stable firing platform, which I loved, so I agree with you there as well. As for your shield/gravity idea, it sounds to me like the Maelstrom power in Force Unleashed, which, judging by my extreme overuse of said power, is extremely OP. Promethean Sword? AWESOME!!!

• Like 1

I don't have any ideas for new armor abilities other than Boomerang or Pulse, but I would like to see an improved Hologram. It would be great to trace the reticule over an enemy and watch the hologram engage it in battle. Anyone who has played Duke Nukem and used the Holoduke will know what I'm talking about. It should also jump over gaps to add believability. Also, wouldn't it be cool if the hologram could deploy a hologram, and then that one would deploy a hologram, and soon there would be hundreds of them...or not.

• Like 2

I don't have any ideas for new armor abilities other than Boomerang or Pulse, but I would like to see an improved Hologram. It would be great to trace the reticule over an enemy and watch the hologram engage it in battle. Anyone who has played Duke Nukem and used the Holoduke will know what I'm talking about. It should also jump over gaps to add believability. Also, wouldn't it be cool if the hologram could deploy a hologram, and then that one would deploy a hologram, and soon there would be hundreds of them...or not.

I agree, the Hologram would be more interesting if it was either more automonous in interacting with the environment, if we could have some control over the movements (you would let it lose and remote guide it, but you would be vulnerable during this brief period. Another version of Hologram could be one used to confuse the opponent during combat, with multiple holograms dispersing at once. Just a thought. CV

I agree, the Hologram would be more interesting if it was either more automonous in interacting with the environment, if we could have some control over the movements (you would let it lose and remote guide it, but you would be vulnerable during this brief period. Another version of Hologram could be one used to confuse the opponent during combat, with multiple holograms dispersing at once. Just a thought. CV

great thoughts i like them

Maybe an upgraded Autosentry.

You would pilot the sentry around within a certain radius. It would be great for scouting out areas; the damage wouldn't be that great. It would be like turning into a Forge monitor but with a laser! It would be balanced out by the factthat you have to surrender control of your Spartan to pilot the sentry.

• Like 2

I don't think that the hologram needs to be made combat ready add some of you have said. Its purpose is for visual deception, it is not meant to be a weapon. Armor abilities are meant to give you an edge on moment, support, or visuals. If you want an armor ability that shoots, them the autosentry is for you. A hologram that fires at opponents will get taken advantage of way too much.

I also think the autosentry needs a buff. It doesn't really aid very much in war games, but its okay for campaign and Spartan ops. I think that the autosentry should not remain stationary. It should hover in the area around the user to give it more combat effectiveness, even if a player is mobile on the battlefield

• Like 2

I don't think that the hologram needs to be made combat ready add some of you have said. Its purpose is for visual deception, it is not meant to be a weapon. Armor abilities are meant to give you an edge on moment, support, or visuals. If you want an armor ability that shoots, them the autosentry is for you. A hologram that fires at opponents will get taken advantage of way too much.

I also think the autosentry needs a buff. It doesn't really aid very much in war games, but its okay for campaign and Spartan ops. I think that the autosentry should not remain stationary. It should hover in the area around the user to give it more combat effectiveness, even if a player is mobile on the battlefield

yes i totally agree with you on both

• Like 1

yes i totally agree with you on both

I agree with you on both accounts. My addition to the Hologram talk was that there could be variations of the current Armor Ability, and if there was shooting or grenade lobbing it would be holographic only. And I like the autosentry idea. I have thought of that a few times, or wondered why it does not stay with you. CV

• Like 1

I agree with you on both accounts. My addition to the Hologram talk was that there could be variations of the current Armor Ability, and if there was shooting or grenade lobbing it would be holographic only. And I like the autosentry idea. I have thought of that a few times, or wondered why it does not stay with you. CV

the auto sentry definitely needs to stay with you and follow you and do a bit more damage too. then i'd use it oh and make it last longer

• Like 1

@Victory Element The hologram would shoot at the opponent (Note: it would not do this independently, but when the player targets the enemy with his reticule) but deal no damage. Another option is the ability to direct and manipulate the hologram. This would work by holding down the armor ability button and pointing the hologram in the direction you want it to go, but only as long as the button is pressed and the AA charged. This is balanced because any player manipulating the hologram to a certain extent would be as distracted as the victims. There is also the possibility of having the hologram mimic the player's functions; it would shoot when you shoot and sprint when you sprint; this would add believability to the underused ability. It is balanced for the same stated reason.

• Like 1

The Autosentry idea is definitely a good one, but when you think about it, it's designed for defence. I like using it mainly as an alarm system when I'm defending. Just putting it down to detect when an enemy is approaching. Also, if you have an extra gun on-the-go, that's kinda OP.

The Hologram idea is epic. Better hologram = more poeple using it. And it doesn't do damage, so it's kind of impossible for it to be OP. One thing I'd like from it is that if you have a marker above your head (from the flag/ball/Last Man Standing in Flood/etc) then the marker is also above your holograms head.

• Like 1

these previous ones stated above are very great ideas and i agree with them. hohlgram needs to be able to do what is stated above. and i would admit that the auto sentry is used for defense. one thing i think the auto sentry could help out more with is say you and your team are fighting against the other team. all of your team die except you. you pull up the auto sentry and it distracts your enemies so YOU have a chance to escape from everyone else. or i think the auto sentry should be more like a sentinel. even though i know that is what it was supposed to be. but it should be more of one

I have an improved idea for the Autosentry: if you press the AA button, then it remains stationary and fires automatically; if you hold down the AA button, you can commandeer the sentry to get to a different spot or scout out another area. You wouldn't be able to control your Spartan whilst doing this.

• Like 2

I think the Thruster Pack should have a variable charge. This means that holding the AA trigger down longer would propel you farther, like Evade in Reach. Alternately, you would be able to juke out your opponent by pressing the AA trigger multiple times in rapid succession.

• Like 1

I have an improved idea for the Autosentry: if you press the AA button, then it remains stationary and fires automatically; if you hold down the AA button, you can commandeer the sentry to get to a different spot or scout out another area. You wouldn't be able to control your Spartan whilst doing this.

I think the Thruster Pack should have a variable charge. This means that holding the AA trigger down longer would propel you farther, like Evade in Reach. Alternately, you would be able to juke out your opponent by pressing the AA trigger multiple times in rapid succession.

now those are good ideas. i agree

Maybe it patrols a key area, and actually fires a sentinel beam

now that would be great id be fine with that. another ability is like a jackal shield but i don't want to explain everything in it because i made a thread on it and I'm too lazy to retype everything i said just look at it