Having problems replacing mouse and keyboard with controller.

Kiing 0f Coffe

So, I recently purchased the Pc version of Halo: Combat Evolved, and unlike Halo vista, I can't seem to use my xbox 360 controller. I looked up directions to use it and it said that I have to select game pads. Well, I can't select game pads. Can someone tell me why and inform me as to how to fix it please? Thank you!

I can help you with this one, but I'm not at home right at the moment...so once I get home later tonight, I can write up with pictures, a quick guide on how to get it running.  Be warned though, for some reason the 360 controllers don't respond 100% and sometimes you will find yourself strafing without even hitting the sticks.  Best to play it with mouse and keyboard or a modded Xbox 1 controller.

Dude I am so sorry I never got back to you.  I went over my mom's yesterday to have my wife a birthday party, and I didn't get home till late..

Without screenshots, I'll give it a go now.  First thing is first, make sure you have the wireless reciever and 360 controller already on and working.  IF you have to load another game to test it, please do.  Unfortunatly Halo CE doesn't allow you to use a controller once the game is already loaded without it present.

Next, go to "settings", then go to "Gamepads".  If the controller is working and on, you should see the 360 controller on the right side of the screen under "Available Devices".  Go ahead and use your mouse and click on it, and it will move it to the "Devices in profile" field.

Next, exit out of that menu and go to "Control Settings".  By default the game does not allow 2 of the same buttons to be assigned to 2 different actions.  The buttons you need to change is the "Action" binding.  You will notice that "reload" is the only assigned actionable button, assigned to "X".  By changing the "X" button binding to "action", you will be able to use doors, reload etc....

Once you have that setup and all your other sensitivity, stick and button layouts set, you can then proceed to playing the game.

Well assuming your running Windows 7, you should just be able to plug it in, then windows will install the drivers you need, as it has them by default.  From there, it's just the same instructions I already gave you.  Just make sure the controller is actually working with another game, then start up halo.

Then you need to download off of MS their controller software, i just don't know if they have it on their site. I went out years ago and got their cabled controller and it came with the disk for the older windows versions. Have a look around for MS 360 usb controller software.

• 4 weeks later...

this won't help you at all, but i have halo PC and want more people on this forum to play with. we should meet up. my players name is nv. and i usually play on pro food clan zombies, or bumpercarz, or any other infection, or race type PM me if you want to play with me