Shielding Vs. Mobility

FleshBack

Hello.

I tend to play a lot of Regicide and Infinity Slayer. Anyone who plays these two game types frequently knows the maps are generally Haven, Adrift, Abandoned, Solace, and sometimes Complex.

I was wondering which tactical package you use for these maps if you're choosing between Shielding and Mobility.

I usually pack at least one class with firepower and resupply and those two tacts don't generally compete for the same spot on a class because they serve such different functions. The same can be said for AA Efficiency as it doesn't face competition for niche class slots. I tend to find the choice to be difficult when I have to choose between shielding and mobility on certain classes because they seem to have the same role in combat situations--increasing survivability.

Sorry if it seems dense but I was just trying to articulate my main point.

Which tact do you generally pick and why when they are in direct competition for a spot on the same class? Do you feel it is dependant on the armor ability such as jet pack, active came, or PV?

Like I said, I struggle with the choice myself but I have been picking mobility more often lately because the extra seconds shielding gives you on your shield recharge rate can also be made up for by running like mad from a battle. It also gives you the edge in getting to the King faster on Regicide and covering more area for securing power weapons on Infinity Slayer.

The only thing I miss about shielding is not having to stay behind cover as long and getting back into the same fight again. However, that is my opinion. I'm interested in others as well:

I am a huge fan of mobility. Though to be honest I am more so a fan of Mobility paired with a jetpack. Using those two in conjunction I have managed to perfect my start on Haven to where I can secure Sticky Detonator 99% of the time, as well as claim the sword on adrift almost every time (grenades are the key to stopping me). This is a HUGE advantage in any match of any type.

Though this really does depend on the situation. Sometimes I'll decide to switch from my mobility class to my BR class after I die once on Haven. My BR class is outfitted with both shielding and dexterity. This allows me to be a more effective soldier statistically. I find that if the map doesn't tend to favor an armor ability that I am using then it is time to choose a new AA.

Well I usually use mobility with a br/covenant carbine class. it works very well because you can just run around as the king demolishing the other team. My class depends heavily on my mobility because if I wouldn't be able to run around fast I'd just be demolished very quickly.

I find that to be a huge factor in gametypes such as Regicide because someone not being very mobile is very prone to being made into swiss cheese by DMR/BR fire.

However, on modes with team mates on these very same maps, I could see mobility losing importance because of teammates to cover you. In that instance I can see where shielding would be desirable as well as extending individual KD which is very important in Infinity Slayer.

I find that to be a huge factor in gametypes such as Regicide because someone not being very mobile is very prone to being made into swiss cheese by DMR/BR fire.

However, on modes with team mates on these very same maps, I could see mobility losing importance because of teammates to cover you. In that instance I can see where shielding would be desirable as well as extending individual KD which is very important in Infinity Slayer.

Basically so. They all have their perks. I could even make an argument for the pathfinder perk Requisition to be the most useful because it allows you a far better chance at getting a good weapon for whatever situation you are facing, as I'm sure can potentially be made for all of them.

Basically so. They all have their perks. I could even make an argument for the pathfinder perk Requisition to be the most useful because it allows you a far better chance at getting a good weapon for whatever situation you are facing, as I'm sure can potentially be made for all of them.

Yeah I agree with that a case can be made for every tactical package when designing a loadout. I just often find that shielding and mobility seem to compete with each other the most on certain classes. Like, let's say:

DMR

Boltshot

Frag

Jet Pack

Mobility

Dexterity

This is a very common loadout I see for Regicide and Slayer. I think Shielding would probably be most people's next choice on a loadout like this if they were to forego mobility. And the same can be said for many loadouts where the two are both highly competitive choices. The decision can be difficult for some players.

• Like 1

Shielding is terrible, never use it unless you're making a vehicle loadout pre-wheelman. It drops your shield regen time from 2 seconds to 1 second, but doesn't reduce the time before your shield begins recharging. So out of the 8 seconds it takes to get a shield back from being one-shot, shielding saves you 1. What kills you with your shield regen is the 6 seconds it takes to start recharging, not the 2 seconds it takes to recharge to full once it begins recharging. You're better off using almost anything else. 1 second is a long time in Halo 4 I'll admit, but compared to getting a power weapon before anyone else shielding just has nothing to offer. I'd rather have Mobility and use it to get a good start on the game.

Also if it's team regicide consider subbing a plasma pistol for the boltshot. Dropping that overshield might matter more than dropping someone up close.

• Like 2

Shielding is terrible, never use it unless you're making a vehicle loadout pre-wheelman. It drops your shield regen time from 2 seconds to 1 second, but doesn't reduce the time before your shield begins recharging. So out of the 8 seconds it takes to get a shield back from being one-shot, shielding saves you 1. What kills you with your shield regen is the 6 seconds it takes to start recharging, not the 2 seconds it takes to recharge to full once it begins recharging. You're better off using almost anything else. 1 second is a long time in Halo 4 I'll admit, but compared to getting a power weapon before anyone else shielding just has nothing to offer. I'd rather have Mobility and use it to get a good start on the game.

Also if it's team regicide consider subbing a plasma pistol for the boltshot. Dropping that overshield might matter more than dropping someone up close.

Very helpful. I was wondering exactly where you gain this second. It definitely matters.

:respect:

• 1 month later...

Shielding has EXTREMELY limited uses.

I listed one good load-out using it, and there is only one really:

Using it in conjunction with the gunner perk makes for a powerful warthog gunner or turret gunner.

But like I said this is if you were PLANNING on only being a gunner. If you wanted to drive at all wheel-man is the better perk hands down.