Grenade Pick Up

Orion

After a couple months of playing Halo 4 I have come to accept many of the things I didn't initially care for.

I missed betrayals... Didn't like that if I'm in a melee fight and an opp rockets me, his teamate gets to walk away fine. I'm over that now.

Didn't really like any armor ability.

But there is 1 thing i still strongly dislike

If i kill a guy i can't picknup grenades from his dead body. Why the F do i need to waste a tactical package to be able to pick them up? Very unnecessary. I hope for Halo 5 grenade pickup will be le all prvious Halo games.

• Like 2

After a couple months of playing Halo 4 I have come to accept many of the things I didn't initially care for.

I missed betrayals... Didn't like that if I'm in a melee fight and an opp rockets me, his teamate gets to walk away fine. I'm over that now.

Didn't really like any armor ability.

But there is 1 thing i still strongly dislike

If i kill a guy i can't picknup grenades from his dead body. Why the F do i need to waste a tactical package to be able to pick them up? Very unnecessary. I hope for Halo 5 grenade pickup will be le all prvious Halo games.

Yet more of the COD aspect .... thought this was Halo ..... huh.

• Like 1

On one side i kinda like it, because my grenade indicator (kind of unnessecary feature if you ask me) is already way too busy in Halo 4.

And you have to take into account that you can spawn with 3 different kinds of grenades now (even if no one uses pulse (?) grenade). Especially with Plasma Nades I image this to be annoying because everyone could be carrying in addition to their frags because of pick ups and the other way around. Now you have to use your nades with more consideration.

This is probably partly due to the insanity of grenades in Halo: Reach. They buffed everything that exploded in that game, but also slowed players down. The result was grenades did incredible damage over a very large area and they were very difficult to avoid. Thus people spammed grenades very often. Later in Reach's life they actually reduced the amount of starting grenades to 1 to counteract the fact that grenading someone was simply much better than shooting them.

As with many things 343 did in this game, they attacked the problem from multiple fronts, usually creating new problems. In the case of grenades they reduced their damage and spread, gave you grenade indicators, and prohibited you from picking them up without an upgrade. It's also a CoD thing, but the grenades really were way too strong in Reach and something DID need to change. They did NOT increase player walking speed at all that I can tell, or at least they didn't increase it much.

They also kept a lot of controller and gameplay aspects of Reach that make the bumper jumper setting more of a personal preference rather than such a practical upgrade. That's relevant because people jump much less in Reach and Halo 4 than they did in Halo 3, where good players could hop around in a room full of grenades and avoid taking damage from most of them. I'm not complaining about these differences, they're more natural than deliberate, especially because the biggest change was armor abilities which gave the left bumper brand new value it previously lacked (Bumper jumper was an easy change to make in Halo 3 because you lost very little functionality, in Reach and Halo 4 though you have to weigh your use of armor abilities with the utility of jumping + aiming).

Yes it definitely makes the grenades play much more like they do in Call of Duty, but like I said there is more natural development going on there than just 343 shamelessly copying CoD notes. I think they should have let players move and jump more, increasing their mobility, and also let them salvage grenades without the Resupply upgrade. The power of the Reach grenades HAD to go down though, and you won't see me asking for them back. The grenade indicators are nice, I feel they modify gameplay only a little bit. Most players know when there's a grenade nearby anyway, so they would have done fine with or without indicators.

Ever since 343 took over with Reach the game has gone more and more with COD play. All it is anymore is COD with shields. Horrible game but they're taking the servers down for everything else so they force people to play their BK BS.

I don't care to hear anything about Bungie and Reach. Bungie was kept around for name recognition only. Don't start.

• Like 1

Halo's grenades have gotten out of control. We always spawn with stickies now, we have a freaking grenade indicator (what are we, like 5?), and you have to have a perk to make grenades efficient or pick them up. If they could only get rid of one thing it would have to be the grenade radius increase/dmg intake decrease, this perk alone really screws up the game too much. All of the other perks influence the game in more subtle ways while this one is way too obvious and game changing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...