Sound optional.

Baeztoberfest

So tonight I was kicking back with some deftones blasting and was cleaning up. Better than I usually do in fact. There were zero in game sounds or music on. Is this game really that unreliable when it comes to music? Or was this a fluke? Sounds used to be important in gaming. Lets you know who's creeping up on you.

• Like 1

So tonight I was kicking back with some deftones blasting and was cleaning up. Better than I usually do in fact. There were zero in game sounds or music on. Is this game really that unreliable when it comes to music? Or was this a fluke? Sounds used to be important in gaming. Lets you know who's creeping up on you.

You know, I would agree with you normally, but when I'm playing Halo I love jamming to some music. It keeps me more focused and I'm more into the game. I'm not sure why, but in most games I need the sounds on, but in Halo, I do much better if I'm listening to other music.

You know, I would agree with you normally, but when I'm playing Halo I love jamming to some music. It keeps me more focused and I'm more into the game. I'm not sure why, but in most games I need the sounds on, but in Halo, I do much better if I'm listening to other music.

That's what I'm saying! That doesn't make sense though... Shouldn't we do better listening to the game?

That's what I'm saying! That doesn't make sense though... Shouldn't we do better listening to the game?

Logically? Yes. But I am not a logical man... :P

But seriously, I love listening to music when playing FPS games, and even if I don't quite do as good as I would normally do, I'll always listen to music when playing. But for some reason, I just kill when playing Halo.

I used to have a Halo playlist that I used when running w/my friends, I tended to do fine with it. I think you lose some situational awareness but you feel better and that affects how well you play.

It's worth mentioning that my friends were usually on as my guests though, so effectively the Trueskill of every match was much lower than it would have been normally. I could afford to play like an action hero to my chosen soundtrack. Most of the players I get matched up against solo tend to punish heroic behavior.

Halo 4 plays so much differently though, (The history I describe above is from Halo 3) maybe I ought to make a playlist and give it a shot.

Halo definitely has some useful sounds. I would never play without the sound, its doable, but it definitely puts you at an disadvantage, however small that is.

I thought this too. Which is why I was surprised when I did better. Maybe I played like 15 games that were all flukes? I dunno... And no I'm not being sarcastic.

I thought this too. Which is why I was surprised when I did better. Maybe I played like 15 games that were all flukes? I dunno... And no I'm not being sarcastic.

Maybe it's because you were more relaxed than usual? Listening to all the sounds in-game might make you a little more tense, and that's usually when people start making mistakes.

Maybe it's because you were more relaxed than usual? Listening to all the sounds in-game might make you a little more tense, and that's usually when people start making mistakes.

I wonder if people would help me then conduct an experiment? Find your favorite music. Play 5 random games in matchmaking. Not with friends. Play the five games listening ONLY to your soundtrack, and post the results. Then do the same thing with ONLY in game sounds turned up to a comfortable level.

Maybe this is too in depth. I just thought it could be fun to see what we all came up with.

I wonder if people would help me then conduct an experiment? Find your favorite music. Play 5 random games in matchmaking. Not with friends. Play the five games listening ONLY to your soundtrack, and post the results. Then do the same thing with ONLY in game sounds turned up to a comfortable level.

Maybe this is too in depth. I just thought it could be fun to see what we all came up with.

Not too in-depth at all, it sounds very interesting! My internet speeds are very low at the moment, but once they pick up I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

That is pretty surprising. Halo 4 has some of the best sound out on console games. I would expect the sound of enemies sneaking up behind you and the sound of gun shots would give away the positions of some enemies.

It's been a while since I've listened to music and played. My preference is usually some Asking Alexandria or August Burns Red. Maybe even a little Waka Flocka :D