Anyone else irritated that a map pack came out before other fixes were made?

wookieeassassin

Is anyone else sort of irritated that a map pack has been released a month after launch, but things like being able to view your FileShare on the waypoint website, in-game file browser, etc. aren't working? Also, things like the boltshot's overpowered nature haven't been fixed yet. The dialogue in Spartan Ops definitely needs to be re-done as well; as it currently is, it is quite childish in nature. The dialogue is very cheesy and feels like it was written to appeal to pre-teens, which **technically** shouldn't even be playing the game anyway. The humor that the writers also tried to include is fall-on-its-face fail as well... in my opinion, I would rather not have Spartan Ops at all if 343 is going to do a mediocre job with it, as I feel like that actually detracts from the game's overall value. 343 could be spending time doing research and looking at player feedback to come up with new maps, new game modes, new weapons, how to balance the weapons better, etc. instead of Spartan Ops and I would guess that would be much more appreciated by the community as a whole, although I could be wrong.

Not really. This is how games are nowadays. It's a business, and the people at Microsoft are businessmen. The maps are fun, so in that aspect they succeeded. Lot's of people bought it, so they succeeded again. As unfortunate as it is, this isn't a new concept and it'll be happening more and more as time goes on.

Not really. This is how games are nowadays. It's a business, and the people at Microsoft are businessmen. The maps are fun, so in that aspect they succeeded. Lot's of people bought it, so they succeeded again. As unfortunate as it is, this isn't a new concept and it'll be happening more and more as time goes on.

No, this isn't how it usually works. What tends to happen is that companies will put out a patch for their game alongside the release of DLC. 343 probably should have waited to release the map pack, or split their current patch into two parts, and released one with the maps.

Actually rather than go through all the painfull mess they have incurred since launch, they should have just done the Public Beta. Any company with half a brain, would have the smarts to release a public beta, especially for a critical title like Halo 4. Had it happened, many of the bugs we have had to deal with would have been squashed before launch, leaving only minor things like glitches with weapons.

I hate to say it, but the OP is 100% correct. Never should DLC content be released before all bugs that are quite easily fixed, remedied. Just the fact that their official statement said "we now of these bugs and that they have been a problem since day 1" and they are fixing it "with" DLC content release, shows they had a few miskewed priorities. It's like a virtual in the face to tell the community basically, that they have to deal with and stop crying over the issues, until they feel like releasing a fix bundled with DLC, that will mroe than likely have the same kinds of issues. Whats next 343???? Will we have to wait till the map pack after that for core fixes to problems you think we should just "accept and deal with"?

• Like 1

No, this isn't how it usually works. What tends to happen is that companies will put out a patch for their game alongside the release of DLC. 343 probably should have waited to release the map pack, or split their current patch into two parts, and released one with the maps.

True, good point. Don't get me wrong, I would love an update as well...

I don't feel "irritated", but I definitely think that a patch should have been released first. Also, like Technology Guru posted, there should have been a public beta earlier in the year. In this day and age every competitive game (as well as some non-competitive ones) should have a public beta. And by public, I mean actually make it public and open to everyone. Just put it up on the marketplace for free so everyone can download it, instead of making people pre-order, or buy another game to get in.

Even though I complain more than my fair share on these boards, it doesn't bother me that the map pack came out before a lot of fixes, just because if you think even briefly about how things work it makes sense.

They were planning to release the DLC from the start, they would have started working on them as soon as THAT project began within the company.

The various problems the game has probably went unnoticed until the game was released, which would have been AFTER the work on DLC began. When it comes to fixing things and not just making new things, you are always running behind and your timeline is based on your response instead of your plans.

If you were re-painting a room in your house and your roof collapsed, you probably didn't anticipate the roof collapsing, and the two are kinda unrelated. One is a project you planned and begun with a timeline in mind, another is a problem that sprung up to which you now have to respond. No reasonable person with half a brain would expect you to fix the roof on the same day you planned to be finished painting the room.

Similarly, the DLC and the bug fixes are probably completely unrelated projects within 343i's company structure. Expecting them to do everything all at once is ridiculous. Furthermore, MORE problems sprung up with the release of the DLC, like the ODST achievement unlocking for seemingly random reasons. Patching things and releasing new content are completely different jobs which CAN be rolled in together, but usually just because the opportunity arises not because that's how they work.

Finally, to stray from the painting and roof example, the DLC is a commercial product they said they would release by a certain time. To NOT release it at that time would have been bad business and you all would be complaining that it didn't come out when they said it would. Fixing the bugs is a maintenance issue, with teams and timelines of its own, DLC is an aspect of the business and is part of the companies planned projects.

Again I'll say that they often DO try to roll updates into DLC because it's convenient, but they don't have to and if the fixes aren't ready when the DLC is then the DLC still has to ship because if it doesn't you're in even more trouble.

• Like 1

This isn't Bungie's series anymore this is 343i's so someone has to wake up and smell the plasma burn. Taking over this series came with alot of responsiblity to the fans. You say that you are fan based but I don't see more than half that in what you are doing with things like fileshare, glitches, expanding the forge palets for not just a few maps to be made into whatever a Forger wants but for all maps, Ranked, Social playlists and FFA playlist needs to be more than Flood and Regicide.