Huuuuuuge Plot Hole!

Rob Federici

Sorry if this is a repeat point of discussion, but after a quick look around I didn't see anyone else mentioning this.

According to Spartan Ops Halsey is just on Infinity. Um, excuse me, but isn't Cortana's rampancy one of the biggest storylines of the game? How is it possible Cortana didn't know Halsey was there when she is in the ship? Couldnt they have just fixed her after level 4?

Thanks for the responses to clarify this. Sounds like I was loud wrong. BUT I will still say that I feel like there is a general lack of consistency in regards to Halsey's storyline. In the books they make such a big deal about her not knowing anything about the spartan III's but then in Reach she hands them Cortana.

While I loved Reach, (2nd best of them all IMO) I feel like there wasn't nearly enough care taken in regards to the way the plot of that game tied into the overall universe. Which of her storylines is going to tie into 5 & 6? The books, or Reach?

Thanks for the responses to clarify this. Sounds like I was loud wrong. BUT I will still say that I feel like there is a general lack of consistency in regards to Halsey's storyline. In the books they make such a big deal about her not knowing anything about the spartan III's but then in Reach she hands them Cortana.

While I loved Reach, (2nd best of them all IMO) I feel like there wasn't nearly enough care taken in regards to the way the plot of that game tied into the overall universe. Which of her storylines is going to tie into 5 & 6? The books, or Reach?

She may not have personally known the S3s but she certainly had a hand in them becoming Spartans, of that there is little doubt. Cortana herself made the choice to be handed of to 6 based on his file and her observations. She simply felt he was the best choice of guardian until she could be passed to the Master Chief (which she had already decided as her carrier anyhow).

I do agree though that the story from the book to the game is not consistent at points but, like you, I loved that game.

She may not have personally known the S3s but she certainly had a hand in them becoming Spartans, of that there is little doubt. Cortana herself made the choice to be handed of to 6 based on his file and her observations. She simply felt he was the best choice of guardian until she could be passed to the Master Chief (which she had already decided as her carrier anyhow).

I do agree though that the story from the book to the game is not consistent at points but, like you, I loved that game.

That right there is a good example of how the book Halsey differs from the game Halsey. I suppose you can say that her research contributed to the creation of the S-III's but in Ghosts of Onyx and again in Glasslands there is a whole storyline about how she is mad at Mendez because he was part of the S-III project and she knew nothing about it. Her presence in Reach contradicts that ignorance.

And while I keep hoping they will bring the other Spartan II's into the games, I'm not holding out hope that they ever will. :wallbash:

Thanks for any responses, I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers I was just looking to voice some thoughts.

I feel bad for Halsey. Shes conscripted for the S2 project, kidnaps an injured Kelly (which possibly saved her life), and helped the S3 on onyx survive the onyx battle. Only to be tried as a traitor and forced to keep working for the UNSC just with being ostricised (sp) as a war criminal. I cant blame her attitude in SpOps

Uhm, those were spartan II's in Halo Reach. Not IIIs.

Spartan IIIs appeared after the fall of reach.

Umm that even isnt technically correct. The Spartan-III program had been running since 2531, while Reach fell in 2552. So yes the Spartan-III's were around well before Reach fell according to the books however none of the books list any squads on Reach during its fall.

In fact Alpha Company was wiped out completely on one of their missions (though they succeeded in their mission) and Beta Company had two survivors from one of their missions. Those two survivors stayed to train the next company (Gamma Company) and survived with two squads of Gamma Company and a portion of Blue Team along with Mendez and Dr. Halsey.

So the books account for all the Spartan-IIIs yet some how a "team" of Spartan-IIIs (claimed as such within the game) are on Reach during those events. A clear contradiction.

But yes according to the game they are Spartan-IIIs. Just pointing out that the Spartan-IIIs have been around for a long time.

Edit: Sorry quoted the wrong person.

Edited by VaultingFrog