Is the DMR OP compared to the BR?

Muh GBP

I know that im not the only one who thinks the BR is underpowered to the DMR, my reasons would be:

1. The DMR kills faster = God gun, not a DMR

2. It does not suffer as bad from the stupid flinching = Easier to do damage

(The topic off removing the flinch comes to mind, but thats is for a diffrent topic)

So I Say that the only thing to do is to give back the DMR either REAL weapon bloom or make it shoot slower, its a DMR not a BR.

Because at the min. the BR has no place in the game... (SWAT is a good example)

Am I just going crazy? Or do you guys also think this is something that needs to be changed? :laughing:

(We need a game were the BR has a place as close to medium rifle, I for one miss the Halo 3 BR :/ )

• Like 2

The weapons are balanced fine imo.There are certain maps that favor the BR compared to the DMR/Lightrifle ect..... I think the Carbine is nearly useless but I barely use it.

The DMR is meant for long range engagements but I agree it can do very well up close.However the BR is really great due to the wider reticle on smaller maps where your primary goal is to slay.

For example Haven,Adrift and Abandon are maps that I feel favor the BR.I will always choose to use my BR jet pack combo on those maps whereas Complex and Solace are better suited to the DMR due to the long lines of sight.

In any case it may depend on the players comfort with a weapon.Up close and personal I find it more difficult to kill with the DMR but the BR is my baby up close.I agree with you in regards to SWAT -the BR seems very underpowered as the DMR can fire faster.

• Like 1

the DMR is not overpowered, people seem to be under that assumption because they assume that weapons can win in ANY situation, when they cant. stay in your weapons confort zone.

this is a good strategy it really is. :thumbsup: i have no problem with the dmr's range but it is way to strong and it does need to be toned down just a tadd. all you hear is the dmr on the map blam-blam-blam because everyone is using it. i use the ar and it works great i dont just charge and i dont camp. i work my way threw the map dealing as much death as i can on my way to your most vaulable assist whatever it happens to be a tank or sniper i want his avatar's soul. but i do agree that the way the DMR is currently leaves no reason to really grab a BR.

• Like 1

SHUT UP. Seriously. Why do I have to keep stomping on these. DMR IS OP. I DIE WHEN I RUN IN THE OPEN threads. This game was masterfully crafted to have a Learning curve that makes is so at the highest levels using the higher skilled weapon is most advantageous but there are a lot of options for up and coming playing who aren't so competitive.

• Like 1

It is overpowered against the Battle Rifle. But it's supposed to be.

The Battle Rifle is very user-friendly. It has larger crosshair and more bullet magnetism than the DMR, and it also has more aim assist: this means it's much easier to hit other players than it is with the DMR, meaning even if you don't have such a great aim, you can still get kills at mid range. And the burst fire makes headshots easier to get: if the DMR's bullet misses the head that's it, better luck with your next shot. If the Battle Rifle misses, you still have two more chances in a bigger crosshair to score the kill.

Plus, the Battle Rifle gets a LOT less recoil when you're hit while scoped in: the DMR jumps perhaps three times as high as the Battle Rifle does, so when you're in a fight you don't have to worry as much about being shot back.

So don't think of it as conventional balance, where both weapons should be equally effective if used at maximum efficiency. The Battle Rifle is a weaker gun that allows less-skilled players to compete: the DMR deserves to be better overall because it's not as easy to use.

• Like 1

The Battle Rifle is very user-friendly. It has larger crosshair and more bullet magnetism than the DMR, and it also has more aim assist: this means it's much easier to hit other players than it is with the DMR, meaning even if you don't have such a great aim, you can still get kills at mid range. And the burst fire makes headshots easier to get: if the DMR's bullet misses the head that's it, better luck with your next shot. If the Battle Rifle misses, you still have two more chances in a bigger crosshair to score the kill.

Plus, the Battle Rifle gets a LOT less recoil when you're hit while scoped in: the DMR jumps perhaps three times as high as the Battle Rifle does, so when you're in a fight you don't have to worry as much about being shot back.

So don't think of it as conventional balance, where both weapons should be equally effective if used at maximum efficiency. The Battle Rifle is a weaker gun that allows less-skilled players to compete: the DMR deserves to be better overall because it's not as easy to use.

How is the DMR not easy to use when people just sit at long range and shoot at anybody who runs across a short distance? I find it hard to believe anyone misses with the DMR. The maximum the reticle gets when you continuously fire is about the size of someone head (mid-long range).

I always thought the BR's burst (3 bullets) was equal to DMR's one bullet, so missing one of those BR bullets could mean the end if you aim to far to one side of the persons head (meaning you have to try to center it to your opponents head).

• Like 1

Halo isnt a "user friendly game", and I think you've only played REACH if you don't agree that the BR needs a place in the game other than the Noob go-to precision weapon. There shouldn't be a noob go-to weapon in halo. COD, sure. What you could do is make BR 4-shot but add spread and less aim-assist for the weapon. That way a skilled BR player can catch up in the correct surcumstances against a skilled DMR player.

1st person shooters shouldn't have weapon load-out counters. That is for RTS's

How is the DMR not easy to use when people just sit at long range and shoot at anybody who runs across a short distance? I find it hard to believe anyone misses with the DMR. The maximum the reticle gets when you continuously fire is about the size of someone head (mid-long range).

I always thought the BR's burst (3 bullets) was equal to DMR's one bullet, so missing one of those BR bullets could mean the end if you aim to far to one side of the persons head (meaning you have to try to center it to your opponents head).

It's not an easy weapon to use because of its weak aim assist and lack of bullet magnetism. Assuming you have a good aim you're very likely to hit something, if your aim isn't so good you're not likely to. There's a very big difference between good players and bad players using the DMR, there isn't such a big gap between good and bad players using the Battle Rifle. It's a question of personal accuracy, not weapon accuracy: think of the Sniper Rifle and the Magnum. Anybody - and I really mean anybody - can hit someone with a Magnum. It's much, much harder to hit someone with a Sniper Rifle, even though that's more accurate.

As for headshots, when shields are down, a single bullet from a precision weapon will score a kill: while anywhere else on the body, or anywhere at all on a shielded target, a Battle Rifle needs to land all three shots to do equal damage to a DMR user, when the shields pop they just need one: this is why in SWAT it's possible (though very rare) to get multiple kills per trigger pull with the Battle Rifle.

Halo isnt a "user friendly game", and I think you've only played REACH if you don't agree that the BR needs a place in the game other than the Noob go-to precision weapon. There shouldn't be a noob go-to weapon in halo. COD, sure. What you could do is make BR 4-shot but add spread and less aim-assist for the weapon. That way a skilled BR player can catch up in the correct surcumstances against a skilled DMR player.

1st person shooters shouldn't have weapon load-out counters. That is for RTS's

I don't agree at all. I think it's great that newbie players finally have a precision weapon specially for them. There's nothing wrong with making a game more user-friendly, and it certainly doesn't hurt to give them a chance to actually fight back against the better players. If you think you're a good enough player, switch it out for a Carbine or a DMR of your own.

"I don't agree at all. I think it's great that newbie players finally have a precision weapon specially for them. There's nothing wrong with making a game more user-friendly, and it certainly doesn't hurt to give them a chance to actually fight back against the better players. If you think you're a good enough player, switch it out for a Carbine or a DMR of your own. " Red Star Rocket. The new players already have weapons like the assault rifle, and the carbine (it isn't hard to use). So why make it to where the only precision weapons that should be used by pros the Light Rifle, and the DMR? The BR was designed for CQB and mid-range combat, not NOOB friendlyness. The Assault rifle and the Carbine should be the Noob Friendly guns as their combat capabilities are terrible for a skilled player and good for Noobs. Halo doesn't need another go-to noob weapon. A skilled DMR pro should beat a skilled BR pro at CQB , Mid-range, and Long range.

The new players already have weapons like the assault rifle, and the carbine (it isn't hard to use). So why make it to where the only precision weapons that should be used by pros the Light Rifle, and the DMR? The BR was designed for CQB and mid-range combat, not NOOB friendlyness. The Assault rifle and the Carbine should be the Noob Friendly guns as their combat capabilities are terrible for a skilled player and good for Noobs. Halo doesn't need another go-to noob weapon. A skilled DMR pro should beat a skilled BR pro at CQB , Mid-range, and Long range.

It's actually the Carbine which is the short-range 'pro' precision weapon, not the Battle Rifle: and yes, it IS harder to use. It has the lowest damage per shot of all the precision weapons, so users have to not only be fast on the trigger but accurate as well, and it's very difficult to spam the trigger that fast while still keeping a shot lined up. So to say that the Carbine is the newbie gun and the Battle Rifle wasn't designed for that, but was instead the short-range precision weapon is literally completely wrong.

If you're having problems with the Carbine, maybe the problem is just that you aren't good with it? It has the absolute fastest kill time of all the precision loadout weapons, after all. It really isn't an easy gun to use, especially while scoped in.

And I don't agree that newbies should be restricted to just Assault Rifles for weapons that are comfortable to use. If they want to try a precision weapon, there should be one available for them: otherwise they won't get better at using them, and eventually move on to more 'pro' weapons.

Plus, as it stands the DMR actually does beat the Battle Rifle at any range if both players are skilled in their use.

EDIT:

Check this out, the DMR also kills vehicles faster than the BR, check the test below.

While it's great to see someone has actually put the time into testing this, I've seen it posted a few times now. I know you want people to come and see what you've learned after putting all that work in, but posting it multiple times might end up getting you banned for spam - it's probably a better idea to put a link in your status to the topic you made for it if you want more views, as that's less likely to get any trouble from the mods.

It's actually the Carbine which is the short-range 'pro' precision weapon, not the Battle Rifle: and yes, it IS harder to use. It has the lowest damage per shot of all the precision weapons, so users have to not only be fast on the trigger but accurate as well, and it's very difficult to spam the trigger that fast while still keeping a shot lined up. So to say that the Carbine is the newbie gun and the Battle Rifle wasn't designed for that, but was instead the short-range precision weapon is literally completely wrong.

If you're having problems with the Carbine, maybe the problem is just that you aren't good with it? It has the absolute fastest kill time of all the precision loadout weapons, after all. It really isn't an easy gun to use, especially while scoped in.

And I don't agree that newbies should be restricted to just Assault Rifles for weapons that are comfortable to use. If they want to try a precision weapon, there should be one available for them: otherwise they won't get better at using them, and eventually move on to more 'pro' weapons.

Plus, as it stands the DMR actually does beat the Battle Rifle at any range if both players are skilled in their use.

EDIT:

While it's great to see someone has actually put the time into testing this, I've seen it posted a few times now. I know you want people to come and see what you've learned after putting all that work in, but posting it multiple times might end up getting you banned for spam - it's probably a better idea to put a link in your status to the topic you made for it if you want more views, as that's less likely to get any trouble from the mods.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for spamming a bit.

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

(for somereason it will only allow me to quote everything u said) Yah, you may be right about the carbine. I don't stink with it BTW and im not one of those guys thinking a gun is unfair because the guy using it is better than i am. Lets time travel shall we? Halo 3 has sold millions of copies, and it has a very high skill cap for precision weapons. The carbine and the BR were high skill guns, and with the rank system, players would get put against players of their own skill. So, they can use the BR and the Carbine to get better with it. "But right now there isn't a ranking system" you might say, the ranking system is coming, and it would be the perfect time to implement some changes to the BR. Also, the argument that the BR has compensation for being a worse gun ( which sadly is true) makes the DMR balanced is probably the thinking 343i had when they made the game. The DMR should function like the Light Rifle does. Light rifle ROFL STOMPS at long range. Light rifle gets ROFL STOMPED at short range. DMR ROFL STOMPS at all ranges. BR's compensation? Aim assist. Halo has never been a game where a less skilled player can beat a higher skilled player cause he's using a different loadout. The competitive will soon recognize the BR as the noob weapon of Halo 4. We really don't want to hear this while playing, "OMG! some KID ON THE OTHER TEAM IS USING THE BR! WHAT A FREAKEN NOOB! GOSH! THAT GUN HAS WAAAAAYYYY TOO MUCH AIM ASSIST! IT IS SO EASY TO USE GUYS OMG!" Halo doesn't need people from COD to come play and think they're good cause they can spam Boltshot, and cause they can aim assist (dramatization) their way to victory with the BR. As I have said, put in spread and reduce aim assist and add 4-shot. Then we both have advantages and disadvantages with our guns so we can finally stop debating about something that should've been recognized during closed-beta.

I was just thinking about making the DMR win on long range, while the BR wins in close and maybe about 60% of the duels on medium range VS the DMR (If that is even possible), but that is just me thinking out loud.

My reasoning for this is that a skilled shooter, like so many players, can beat a BR up close and make the weapon a waste of time, but again, in my opinion :)

I was just thinking about making the DMR win on long range, while the BR wins in close and maybe about 60% of the duels on medium range VS the DMR (If that is even possible), but that is just me thinking out loud.

My reasoning for this is that a skilled shooter, like so many players, can beat a BR up close and make the weapon a waste of time, but again, in my opinion :) (And just to clear things up, im not saying it cant win, im saying that players at the same level and above with DMR´s will win most off the time)

And sorry for my computer lagging out and posting twice...

The DMR does not fit into halo!! think about it. DMR is from reach.. reaaallly old. in halo 3, there was no DMR there were a lot of automatics. where the hell does the DMR come from? that gun can kill in any range. In close range medium, and long! I've used it. I expiriemented. People kill me when we are cqc and i have an AR, i used it and i almost got a perfection that gun is just wayy too op. I go into maps. all i hear is the dmr. The br has a little mag, it barely has a scope its like a 2x magnification its a frcking joke. thats why it doesnt have anyrecoil while scoped. The DMR just doesnt fit, the covies dont have a weapon like that. And the prometheans dont have a weapon like that either, while scoped in yeah but what are the chances that you'll win with the light rifles small mag? the DMR is just a little too much. Bring back the SMG or something throw away the DMR all it does is allow newbs and CoD people to live in our universe... Im tired of that gun.. I miss being able to use BR or AR only mistake i saw with H4

• Like 1

my ideas,

1. increase dmr bloom, not as bad as REACH was, but a little more than now (if u spam a precision weapon, you should have a harder time shooting it, basically, your not taking the time to account for accuracy)

. Remove DMR aim assist. Dont have weapons rely on a computer assisted program to help inacurate players get kills.

3. Increase assault rifles (human, covie, forerunner) damage by 25-50%. This boost should give a slight quicker kill count to them. Viability for the AR class weapons would be restored (esp if 343i makes CQC Maps)

PS: alternatively, they could add the kick to dmr and reduce the br kick ( range ammo typically has more kick than closer range ammo due to the higher ammt of gunpowder required to push that bullet along. Sure, the range bullet might be aerodynamic, but gotta make enough force to push it to its destination)

The DMR does not fit into halo!! think about it. DMR is from reach.. reaaallly old. in halo 3, there was no DMR there were a lot of automatics. where the hell does the DMR come from?

Have to admit, I agree. smg vanishes, dmr returns to service, if dmr can return, why cant the needle rifle? Better question, why is it that spartans dont have the same hud interface that odst has (the nightvision and iff outlining) or better?

I'm about average at Halo 4 and have to admit that even at my level (well below the top) the BR isn't worth putting in a loadout in any circumstance. I started off using the DMR (having pretty much stopped playing Halo online after H2) and never looked back. I've since worked out how to use the AR competitively and also the suppressor but unless I'm playing close up then skipping straight past the BR to the DMR is a given.

I quite like the idea that the BR is designed to be a gateway gun to precision weapons. I can't vouch for the theory personally but it would make some sense. The overall weapon balance in the game seems pretty reasonable so I'd prefer not to see 343 make big changes. Maybe drop the DMR clip down slightly (as a 'pro' weapon we shouldn't be allowed to miss with half our shots ;) )