What am I doing wrong?

Baeztoberfest

I really don't want to make another rant thread. That's been done to death. I know Halo 4 is a good game so I won't bad mouth it.

So that being said here's my problem.

I try so damn hard at being GOOD at the game and no matter what I do I'm getting waxed at every turn. I've tried different loadouts, play styles, and played with people of different skill levels.

My K/D is 1.08. That's the crappiest at out of any Halo title I've ever owned. I'm not going to say I'm the **** at every Halo game because I'm not. Halo 3 I was a legit 50. Halo reach my K/D ratio was 1.23. Now with Halo 4 it's like I'm complete crap. And it's only going downhill...

I don't THINK I have a problem aiming as I feel like I'm scoring good headshots everytime but I'm not. I mean how could I if they massacre me with lesser rounds or they are more powerful or I just don't know...

I'm so freaking fed up with it... I always seem to have the weaker weapon at every dual. I have a boltshot and they have a scattershot. I have a sniper rifle and they have a binary rifle. I have a DMR and they have a BR. I have an AR and they have a saw... Maybe that's just bad luck or something... Look I'll stop bitching and whining.

I think my target acquisition is fine. My Loadout for 4v4 is as follows.

Primary DMR

Secondary boltshot

AA hologram

Bonus dexterity

Grenade plasma

Specialization mobility

That's a pretty all around Loadout I think. And for big team I just substitute the boltshot with the plasma pistol and hologram with jet pack...

I'm a cqc kind of guy. I really excel with shotguns and melees and swords. But I'm also pretty good with the DMR as aiming has never been an issue. (Before)

I thought it was so I switched to an AR, but did even worse. DMR is my best bet so far.

That being said SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IM DOING WRONG so I can enjoy this title and not be so pissed. Seriously. Go ahead and get your laughs in but it pisses me off so badly. It irritates me to where I want to throw things and punch stuff. Nothing has irritated me so bad in my life... And I'm a 24 year old husband and father... BUT! I'm helplessly addicted because I'm praying I'll be better tomorrow.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. That's all I want... Help.

Try using the ammo loadout instead, it makes the world of a difference. Also, try to be aware of rushing into places, I noticed that I seem to rush in more in Halo 4 than any other. Just try to be aware of yourself.

I use the hardlight shield and if you can get used to it, it can save you in the toughest situations.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help :/

Try using the ammo loadout instead, it makes the world of a difference. Also, try to be aware of rushing into places, I noticed that I seem to rush in more in Halo 4 than any other. Just try to be aware of yourself.

I use the hardlight shield and if you can get used to it, it can save you in the toughest situations.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help :/

I'm never alive long enough to exhaust all my ammo. :/

Hard light shield could work? I have yet to try it. And yeah I do my best to watch my radar. It's the long distance that gets me. Or being double teamed.

I dont ghandi hop.

Anyways, you DO seem to die quicker in Halo 4 then say....reach.

This is because the game has been sped up, all you can really do is keep playing and trying your best, do your best to keep your reticule on the corners so that when you go around a wall, you can get a quick target acquisition.

I dont ghandi hop.

Anyways, you DO seem to die quicker in Halo 4 then say....reach.

This is because the game has been sped up, all you can really do is keep playing and trying your best, do your best to keep your reticule on the corners so that when you go around a wall, you can get a quick target acquisition.

Really? I would destroy you in a 1v1! XD Seriously, weird tactics can save you.

I've seen some of your posts before, and I must say this is a dramatic improvement over them, so I applaud you for that. With that out of the way, I have a few questions for you about your play style and why you choose the loadout that you did.

From your post, it seems like you're a close quarters kind of guy, shotguns, swords, melee's. I have a friend who plays this way as well. With that, why did you choose the loadout options that you did? What was your reasoning behind the DMR, Boltshot, Hologram, and Dexterity? I understand the Plasma's and the Mobility for your playstyle, I'm just curious about the other three.

I've seen some of your posts before, and I must say this is a dramatic improvement over them, so I applaud you for that. With that out of the way, I have a few questions for you about your play style and why you choose the loadout that you did.

From your post, it seems like you're a close quarters kind of guy, shotguns, swords, melee's. I have a friend who plays this way as well. With that, why did you choose the loadout options that you did? What was your reasoning behind the DMR, Boltshot, Hologram, and Dexterity? I understand the Plasma's and the Mobility for your playstyle, I'm just curious about the other three.

Dexterity to give me the edge for engaging multiple targets when I need to reload. Four shots will kill an opponent with headshots. Realistically I spend 5 to 7 rounds per guy. So when taking down 2 or more guys I need that quick reload. The hologram is for evasion mostly to take the heat off me when I'm going for cover. They usually chase me and engage the hologram while I'm safe behind the corner.

The boltshot is used primarily for smaller maps for the charge shot. The one hit kill within melee range is pretty stout and works a little better than say the pistol or plasma variant. The plasma pistol would be a good choice for its charge and melee combo but the charges go too quickly for me and the extra step to melee just seems like to much versus just pointing and clicking.

That was my rationale.

Yesterday I switched to active camo because I was thinking even if I'm walking instead of camping puts a minor camo on me making me that much harder to see in combat and is also useful for retreating to a degree. I substituted the dexterity for the extra grenade range and damage perk. But I'm still in the air about those choices...

So that was my thinking. Hopefully that will help shed some light on the problem.

Also I don't know what Ghandi hopping is. Is that jumping around all willy nilly? I'll admit I've played against those guys and its annoyingly affective. But honestly that won't help me. It's just to confusing to me to acquire targets and maintain sight picture.

I use the tactic of reticle to the corners. Works well for me especially in swat. It's a lot quicker than just running blind and unprepared.

I don't mean to come off like any of y'all's advice is exactly wrong because obviously it's not working for me or I'm doing it wrong I suppose. How I don't know but I must be. That's the confusion. If it was as simple as practice I should be improving as I play (and lose) all the time. But it's like I'm progressively getting WORSE instead.

Oh I didn't address the DMR. That works easier for me to just score headshots than spray and pray with the AR. It's about the same skill level with it at close, medium, and long range. Medium range is probably where I use it best.

I don't blame Halo 4 for my issues because its a program essentially. The only changing variant is myself and human error. I'll have my good days and bad days but it seems skewed? One match I go 25 and 14 (I consider that a good match) and other times I'll go 7 and 19. It fluctuates drastically but the latter is more the case the the 25 and 14. I don't expect to win every gunfight. I just need an edge or a tip or some advice or something because what I'm doing now isn't working.

Have you ever played octagon with anyone?

This will tell you instantly how good or bad your strafe really is and also how accurate you are. Find someone to play with you a few games, heck if you live in the US I'll even play some games after 6pm CST.

I haven't seen anyone build a LONG range octagon yet, which should be introduced in H4, this is because you really don't need to zoom much of anything unless it is LONG range.

Don't aim at the head, this is the biggest misconception in all Halo games. The first NONE KILL shots in Halo all register the same, if I hit you int he stomach (largest part of the body) it still a head shot damage the first 4 shots. Fire as fast as the DMR lets you first into the body the first 4 shots, and raise the 5th shot. NO REASON to slow down any shots, unless the 5th is at good range.

Can people post full games to like a file-share or something? I haven't tested this, I'd like to watch a game or 2 of yours. If you can, do so and LMK you tag.

One big thing in all Halo games, is learning grenade points, out of the ordinary jumps and firing lanes. If you can out think your opponent you'll stay alive longer. That's why my favorite perk is re-supply, on average I get 4-6 grenades a life.

Lastly, if your clearly losing the fight and turn to run, looking STRAIGHT DOWN still works in this game to lower your head slightly from behind.

Have you ever played octagon with anyone?

This will tell you instantly how good or bad your strafe really is and also how accurate you are. Find someone to play with you a few games, heck if you live in the US I'll even play some games after 6pm CST.

I haven't seen anyone build a LONG range octagon yet, which should be introduced in H4, this is because you really don't need to zoom much of anything unless it is LONG range.

Don't aim at the head, this is the biggest misconception in all Halo games. The first NONE KILL shots in Halo all register the same, if I hit you int he stomach (largest part of the body) it still a head shot damage the first 4 shots. Fire as fast as the DMR lets you first into the body the first 4 shots, and raise the 5th shot. NO REASON to slow down any shots, unless the 5th is at good range.

Can people post full games to like a file-share or something? I haven't tested this, I'd like to watch a game or 2 of yours. If you can, do so and LMK you tag.

One big thing in all Halo games, is learning grenade points, out of the ordinary jumps and firing lanes. If you can out think your opponent you'll stay alive longer. That's why my favorite perk is re-supply, on average I get 4-6 grenades a life.

Lastly, if your clearly losing the fight and turn to run, looking STRAIGHT DOWN still works in this game to lower your head slightly from behind.

Good stuff man. I've never heard of octagon. I'll add your GT and post a couple of games tonight. I'm stationed in Kansas so yeah after I get out of the motor pool tonight I'll hop on and see what I can post. Didn't know about the looking down. I know maps well enough to give this a solid try.

Also I'd heard of the first few shots registering the same. Maybe that's why it always seems like I drop their shields quickly but can never seem to land the final headshot. That actually clarifies that completely. I thought maybe it was a rumor but that actually sounds more like what's going on.

My gamer tag is Baeztoberfest if any of y'all would like me to upload some games so you can critique and see what the deficiencies are.

Stop thinkin this is like past Halo games is probably the most important thing, Its more COD like in the way you have to play (Not saying the game is like COD), Having never played reach after the first couple of days it came out my previous Halo experience was from H3, since then I have played MW2/BO/MW3 and yet I acclimatised to this game as fast as all my friends that played Reach.

I am nowhere near as good as I had managed to become on H3 but can do quite well in H4, IMO this is down to the speed at which you die from multiple players outside your radar range, you have to change the way you move/advance, what ground you try to hold etc. Its something more like the way you move and play in COD games than H3 for example.

I still find myself advancing in ways I shouldn't (had been playing a bit of H3 before H4 came out) because it is habit in halo games, when i do this I die LOTS!!

I know this is not much specific help but the old play style combined with lag will make it hard for you to ever do well.

Stop thinkin this is like past Halo games is probably the most important thing, Its more COD like in the way you have to play (Not saying the game is like COD), Having never played reach after the first couple of days it came out my previous Halo experience was from H3, since then I have played MW2/BO/MW3 and yet I acclimatised to this game as fast as all my friends that played Reach.

I am nowhere near as good as I had managed to become on H3 but can do quite well in H4, IMO this is down to the speed at which you die from multiple players outside your radar range, you have to change the way you move/advance, what ground you try to hold etc. Its something more like the way you move and play in COD games than H3 for example.

I still find myself advancing in ways I shouldn't (had been playing a bit of H3 before H4 came out) because it is habit in halo games, when i do this I die LOTS!!

I know this is not much specific help but the old play style combined with lag will make it hard for you to ever do well.

I hear you loud and clear. Battlefield dominance plays a much bigger role in this game than in previous games. I'm too tenacious. I know that much. I try and push the limits of field control maybe a bit too far but never more than line of sight for my teammates to cover me.

Example. Me and some guy are going back and forth. The guy I'm trying to kill ends up giving me an assist even though I did all the work. I get shot from my 3 o'clock. There's two teammates right behind the guy shooting me battling to kill the guy I'm already trying to kill. That's why I get the assist and that's why I die. Because rather than kill the guy who's at my 3 o'clock right in front of them they engage the guy I'm trying to kill at my 12 o'clock.

But let me humble myself for a minute... I can't really blame them can I? Sure they have about as much teamwork as a suicide bomber might have or give but it was ME that put myself in that situation. Expecting too much from my teammates is also another place I go wrong.

I can admit it. No shame. But how can I get more from my team? How can I adapt to fix that situation? I can see what you're saying.

I am nowhere near as good as I had managed to become on H3 but can do quite well in H4, IMO this is down to the speed at which you die from multiple players outside your radar range,

I find this as well. The prevalence of the DMR means that the long distance opponents you could ignore on H3 will kill you within a couple of seconds now in Halo 4. I feel like being as aggressive as I was in Halo 3 is just getting me killed a lot, so I've tried to tone it down a bit.

Slightly related, but are killcams broken in this game? Only occasionally do I even see one when I die, and when I do they seem to be very jerky/laggy. If they were fixed then I'd have a much better idea from which areas I keep getting shot long range from.

Stop thinkin this is like past Halo games is probably the most important thing, Its more COD like in the way you have to play (Not saying the game is like COD),

I am lost at this comment.

This plays no different than any other Halo game I've played. Spawn control, Weapon control, Straffing, Ghondi hoping and good grenade placements. All the other Halo games register none head-shots and head-shots until the kill point, this is by no means COD related.

COD is by far different from this game. Sprint should be used only from time to time in Halo as it takes forever to recover from sprint. COD you spring everywhere and using spray and prey with a sub-machine gun, Halo you play controlled.

Since the days of CE, I've never had a problem maintaining a 1.5+k/d, it's all about map control and knowing when to challenge a player. The biggest problem most halo players have is they rely on grenades way to much. You're weapon is your tool of destruction, the grenade is for damaging corner, pushing players back at the start and holding players at bay. THEY ARE NOT KILL WEAPONS!

I am not calling myself amazing by many means at this game, if I learned all the callouts ect, I would call myself well above the average gamer, but no PRO status. I play this game for fun and callout when I feel like it. I've found myself randomly placed in PRO games in MM in the past and held my own to a point and even played in PRO tournaments, I've seen all levels of gaming but the key aspects are staying controlled in Halo.

There is no such thing as running and gunning, which is what COD is all about. I don't push anyone's feeds on these forums but if you ever want to watch an average good gamer, search YouTube for GameTimeIzSiK he's a local buddy of mine as we all play the same. He is no PRO and there is no reason to tell you to watch a PRO as they've played so much together they know exactly what to do every game, we just play. We communicate when it's needed but his gameplay is very similar to mine. Normally live streams every few days and more often then not, other good gamers are in his room.

Slightly related, but are killcams broken in this game? Only occasionally do I even see one when I die, and when I do they seem to be very jerky/laggy.

You can't believe kill cams, there is a reason they removed them from MM, they account for lag in this game so you rarely ever see exactly what happened. If you do, that player is host.

I'm sorry but if you had a "legit" 50 on halo 3 you would be on a near 2 K/D on halo 4. I had a lvl 45 and a lvl 48 account on Halo 3 and Halo 4 is much easier to get a good kill to death on. Sorry to be a cynic but after playing 4k + games of halo 3 and I feel that I've got a fairly good grasp of how good a lvl 50 would be.

I'm not sure what my kd ratio is. However, I can tell you that Sensor in your support upgrade helps a lot as it gives you better detection range on your motion sensor giving you a better idea of where on the map your enemies are. I normally sprint to the location and immediately crouch at least 10-15 yards away. Doing so gives me the better chance to get the jump on 1 or 2 enemies, even 3 if you're lucky. Promethian Vision is also very useful. I have assassinated so many people with that. Active Camo is also useful if you know how to be cautious with it considering people have a general idea of your location due to the scrambler on the motion sensor.

I'm sorry but if you had a "legit" 50 on halo 3 you would be on a near 2 K/D on halo 4. I had a lvl 45 and a lvl 48 account on Halo 3 and Halo 4 is much easier to get a good kill to death on. Sorry to be a cynic but after playing 4k + games of halo 3 and I feel that I've got a fairly good grasp of how good a lvl 50 would be.

Clearly this isn't the case. This is a thread for help. Not opinionated judgement. Your opinion of how good a player was 5 years ago doesn't amount to squat. Worst troll ever. Thanks for nothing.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but if you had a "legit" 50 on halo 3 you would be on a near 2 K/D on halo 4. I had a lvl 45 and a lvl 48 account on Halo 3 and Halo 4 is much easier to get a good kill to death on.

I sold 50s all day long and averaged around a 1.5 - 1.8, these games still play the same. Again, I find myself back around the 1.5 mark in H4 but then again I've been messing around with the BR and Magnum which are clearly underpowered to the DMR. K/D means really nothing in this game still as it's new and players don't have thousands of games played.

I've dumped on way to many 70+s that hav a 2-3k/d, anyone can sit int he back on big team and just steal kills all day. I play aggressive and carrying the flag, I could farm kills all day but those games get boring quickly. I find it more entertaining to pick a flag up and challenge a guy with a DMR or BR with my pistol and still walk away.

The games are the same, playing the game under control and knowing this game you can fire as fast as you want, fire rate doesn't effect anything in the end, the %s are so close it doesn't matter if you fire as fast as possible or delay your last shot.

The biggest problem most halo players have is they rely on grenades way to much. You're weapon is your tool of destruction, the grenade is for damaging corner, pushing players back at the start and holding players at bay. THEY ARE NOT KILL WEAPONS!

I agree with most of what you said, but grenades are still massively important. A well timed prenade is going to win you a LOT of gunfights.

I didn't even realise for quite a while that grenades didn't resupply automatically and was getting a bit frustrated never having them. Now I've unlocked the perk the majority of my kills come from chucking a grenade at someone's feet and cleaning them up with a headshot.

KD means nothing, but if you really want to know what you have add your GT to the list (top left) and check it (mid right).

http://www.topgunstats.com/leader-boards/index/s/1

I am a bigger fan of the W/L Ratio, I'll take my 2.82W/L over my 1.54K/D anyday.

I agree with most of what you said, but grenades are still massively important. A well timed prenade is going to win you a LOT of gunfights.

I didn't even realise for quite a while that grenades didn't resupply automatically and was getting a bit frustrated never having them. Now I've unlocked the perk the majority of my kills come from chucking a grenade at someone's feet and cleaning them up with a headshot.

That being said, it's till a bad habit. You need to get comfortable with the game to the point you round a corner sites up knowing you'll beat a guy head to head. If you got head to head, the player the throws the grenade generally loses.

I sold 50s all day long and averaged around a 1.5 - 1.8, these games still play the same. Again, I find myself back around the 1.5 mark in H4 but then again I've been messing around with the BR and Magnum which are clearly underpowered to the DMR. K/D means really nothing in this game still as it's new and players don't have thousands of games played.

I've dumped on way to many 70+s that hav a 2-3k/d, anyone can sit int he back on big team and just steal kills all day. I play aggressive and carrying the flag, I could farm kills all day but those games get boring quickly. I find it more entertaining to pick a flag up and challenge a guy with a DMR or BR with my pistol and still walk away.

The games are the same, playing the game under control and knowing this game you can fire as fast as you want, fire rate doesn't effect anything in the end, the %s are so close it doesn't matter if you fire as fast as possible or delay your last shot.

That's what I mean!!! I don't play much objective but when I do I'm the guy with the skull or the flag or whatever. I enjoy sweeping the hill and moving in. That's where the action is at. Not sitting back with a DMR and ordinance stealing kills. That's just boring and sure your K/D is better (that's what I want) but I'm trying to do it the right way by playing to win and getting into the game.

I enjoy employing tactics and working hard. I on e played a resident evil game that summed it up for me in the beginning. Challenge breeds excellence. But first I need to work on my A-game. That's what this thread is about. Gaining skill and tactics I wouldn't have thought of to sharpen my skills to set me up for success or really anyone reading this.

So then... You're an above average player. Seems like you don't need help as badly as half of population.

Though I will concede, KDR's are pretty meaningless in Halo. (Because of MM)

If hardly say that 1.08 is above average. And I'd hardly admit that my 35% win rate is a something to brag about either. I've played roughly 500 games and won about 150... I'm not okay with 1.08.

That's not me wanting to camp until I get a good K/D. That's me wanting to get the head to head.