Active Camo is pretty close to overpowered if it isn't already

sgtmattbaker

Playing on maps where people have the sniper rifle and use active camo is not fun at all. Promethean vision has a pretty limited range to start with, and it doesn't show people who are using active camo through objects at all. At the range where people use a sniper on a map like Ragnarok, it is near impossible to see the light distortion that active camo creates (it is actually fairly hard to see it up close in my opinion). The radar scramble effect that active camo causes lets you know someone nearby is using active camo, but again, at the range that snipers operate this doesn't help at all. A player who is using active camo and sniping can eventually be dealt with if they don't move around much, but if someone is smart and changes the area they snipe from they are almost impossible to deal with.

It isn't as bad when this happens, but when people are using active camo and medium-long range precision weapons (DMR, Battle Rifle, Carbine, Light Rifle) they are also pretty difficult to deal with. The reason is the same reason that active camo snipers are almost unbeatable: you have no indication they are there at that range.

I have little issue with active camo on smaller maps, as I can't remember any games thus far (300+) where it has been a major annoyance.

I've never had a problem seeing invis people. And I guess I'm just lucky with not having people camp with the shotty or something while invis or having a sniper far away. It's just something you gotta deal with cause it's in the game. Just gotta figure out ways to counter what they're doing. And even if they have invis the fact they have a sniper means they could pick you off far away no matter what.

Active Camo and Sprint were my two favorite armor abilities in Reach. Though I opted for sprint 98% of the time. Now in Halo 4 I can have my cake and eat it too. Though I am a patient player and I prefer stealth over brute force. It's just a more efficient way to play the game.

On a big map you're going to get sniped regardless of whether the sniper has active camo or not- granted the sniper is decent and knows what they're doing. On smaller maps, like Complex, it's much easier to find and kill an invis sniper.

When you think about it, on Ragnarok, you can pretty much only see 50% of the map at a time no matter where you are. So, if you're being sniped at your own base you know the sniper has to be fairly close. Now, if you could see base to base then that would be crazy.

I second that. Sprinting was good for an advantage of a slight increase in speed and could keep consistency over why previous games didnt involve sprinting. It was a good advantage and disadvantage but it was balanced. Now that sprintings active for all classes it removes the heavyness to the armor that your wearing. Personally they should make sprinting an armor ability again along with evade and remove prethean vision

im very sorry guys but im an active camo sniper and dmr user with this class BUT it is only very effective on ragnarock, its good on longbow but on the rest its just meh so on other maps i prefer jet pack or prom vision. what we need to do is create and find countermeasures as i get killed by this class too. by far the best counter measure for this is team communication and team shooting. if any one knows some good countermeasures i would love to hear about them

Its not so much the cammo sniper but the team you are with, if your team are good they will see him once he shoots and take care of him.

One thing I will say as a cammo user is that when i move while its active, on my screen i am very visible yet when facing a moving cammo enemy they seem a lot harder to track, I assume its the same for people trying to follow me!!! Maybe they could make it worse during movement that way when you respawn if the sniper is still fully cammo you would know he is prob in the same spot.

If you know where they are, send out a hologram a few times and let them waste their ammo. A lot of times on Ragnarok when I'm about to go around a corner that will put me in view of the enemy base (where snipers love to camp), I'll throw the hologram out to test the waters. If they lose a couple rounds over it then bonus.

If you know where they are, send out a hologram a few times and let them waste their ammo. A lot of times on Ragnarok when I'm about to go around a corner that will put me in view of the enemy base (where snipers love to camp), I'll throw the hologram out to test the waters. If they lose a couple rounds over it then bonus.

Anyone with half a brain can tell its a hologram. Iv never fallen for it, and I haven't seen it worked very well unless the player is just straight up bad (has <=1.0 kd)

Halo used to be about skill, now its just casual. Used to you could know how many snipers the enemy had, and know where the were. Now, this is impossible.

camping with invisibility. I personally dont see this too much of a dilemma. I use invisibility only to ambush players with assainations. Camping i feel may just be a disadvantage in some cases but all in all camping is just gameplay and no matter how much we try. It only makes matters worse it appears to me

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know how some of you are defending active camo in this game. You can go into full camo almost instantly, it is much harder to see than it was in previous games and Promethean vision **does not counter it** unless they are out in the open and relatively close. If they are behind a wall, box, the floor below you, etc. with it not even an outline of them shows up. Only when they are out in the open do they show up green, and again, this is only at fairly short range. While you can't run around in the open all willy-nilly on maps like Ragnarok, someone wiith a good position can see 25-50% of the map at any given time. Even if they just have a DMR or a Light rifle they can kill you pretty fast if you're out in the open for just a couple seconds (moving from cover to cover). If there are multiple people with invisibility they can kill you almost instantly. And yeah, whoever commented about how ridiculous it is for entire other teams to be using active camo, I totally agree with you. It isn't the least bit fun to play in those sort of matches, nor is it fun to have to run around using promethean vision all the time just to do a crappy counter to active camo.

I'm not sure if it's because everyone sprints or they just zero in on snipers, but I've rarely had a serious problem with almost any player using almost any tactic. The closest I came to seeing someone get away with a big spree was a Gauss Gunner on Exile before I lasered him. That may seem unrelated, but my point is people just seem to have a harder time staying alive for long, and so when I've fought camo snipers they've gone down one way or another. Then they respawn, run for their rifle, and it's despawned.

In Reach the DMR could engage a sniper at pretty long ranges, and that helped, but in this game I think people just have a harder time getting away with stuff unless the enemy is just playing insanely stupid. It's easier to get a sniper rifle than it once was, but it's harder to keep one.

The other day I was dealing with a camo sniper on Ragnarok, he was giving us a pretty hard time because at first we didn't know he had camo. Then finally someone got on his side of the map with a ghost or something and he was trying for that kill when I domed him. In Halo 3 I don't think anything would have gotten that close to him to distract him, and in Halo Reach he and his team could have just wrecked anything with teamshot because it would have be one of Reach's super-exposed maps.