How do you guys come up with ideas?

icycoolx

• 2 weeks later...

First of all before you even start thinking of the map you want to create, you must decide what type of map you want. You don't just jump in head first and start throwing **** around.. Well, that has never worked in my case. For me, I usually like to stick to symmetrical maps. (Warlock, The Pit etc..) When I make a symmetrical map, I usually start in the middle and work my way out. Default slayer in 4 is RvB (like all other Halo games) so two basses is a must, but keep in mind if you are going to play like multiteam you will need good places for the other initial spawn points and respawn points. (orange, green, purple etc..)

So just try this.. Make a tower of power style symmetrical map. Create a center location that is higher than the rest of the map. Make that location have the exact same thing on both sides. (red side, blue side) Then create two ways up to that location on one side. (there will then be four ways to the top mids) Now make both of those paths connect in one way or another to a base location. (I recommend using one of the "Buildings" with in the structures category; making your own base out of building blocks isn't really the best way to go..) Now make it to where you can get from one base to the other base by going around the center location without ever having to step foot on it. Just make sure everything is exactly the same on both sides and you have yourself a map! You can change that same logic around anyway you want and the flow of the map will still work.

Focus on one side of the map only. Don't even start building the other half until you are for sure how it is going to be. What I do a lot is just pop in player mode and jump, shoot, throw grenades, rape and fly around to figure out all the possible angles and how I should implement them better at that point in the map.

Anywho, I sure hope you read all of this!

Trollya later man!

But to answer your question, inspiration comes from my friend named Puff, the Magic Dragon. You know, the one who lived by the sea..?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Be aware of the world around you each day. If you see a cool building then add it to the idea box. A cool bridge then add it to the idea box. Google cool architecture. I got lucky and don't have to do this because I have a very creative mind. It just comes but this doesn't work for everyone.

try making maps off things you think would be fun to play to start and get some ideas off other peoples maps you have played on I perfer a big team heavys game and infection games for custome i like 8v8 and infection games then when you get used to using all the features of forge you can make awesome maps and come up with ideas more often :D

• 2 weeks later...

I typically build asymmetrical 1v1 maps, that connect to already built in structures.My first thing I do is scavenge out an entire map looking for areas that already have great aesthetics, and start from there. My next step is to start on the side that is closest to a built in wall so I don't get flustered trying to find out ways to fill in that specific area and eventually make it look worse than if I had started there. After I develop a nice looking structure there I mentally plan out where the boundaries of the map itself are going to be. Then I slowly make progression in one direction until I feel that the base idea of what I am looking for is complete. Continue that step until you have about half or more of the base layout complete. Then I start viewing where I want the Line of sights to be on that particular part of the map. This will help you with Aesthetics when you are first experimenting with ideas. After you finish that you will be a lot easier for the other half of the map, because the rest is just what looks like it fits in, and what doesn't. After you get the basic idea of where you think that the basic layout is complete, start looking for ways to make the map look better, by adding color, and trimming to your map. When you are finally finished with all of that, do spawn locations, that is one of the most important things to do, and you need to know where people should spawn, and where they shouldn't, where they should face, and where they shouldn't . After this depending on the size of the map, and by how many people will be playing it on a normal basis, find an appropriate amount of power weapons. Make sure that controlling one will not gaurantee a victory. Also the Power weapons need to be at a fair distance from all players initial spawn, or balanced accordingly. After you place the rest of the normal weapons, make sure you can't break the map, you finally have a forge map you can be proud of!

• Like 1