Slayer AR (And other Assault Rifle-based suggestions)

LANCERZzZz

New AR only playlist  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see playlists where DMR/BR are locked?

• Yes
    • No

Ever since Reach created loadouts in Halo, it seems like the only weapon anyone uses is the DMR (or in some cases the BR). I'm not so sure this is completely due to personal preference to the weapon, and rather because players have no choice but to use precision weapons while other players are using precision weapons. Otherwise they risk being constantly outmatched at mid-long range battles and getting kills stolen regularly by teammates (or enemies in FFA) who are using precision weapons. I personally have made it my mission to keep the AR as my main weapon, as I find it more of a challenge to use in multiplayer, and at level 43 and 250 games played, I'm happy to say that it's still my 'Favorite Weapon'. But I can't be the only person who finds it incredibly frustrating to be somewhat "forced" to use precision weapons in practically every playlist. A "Infinity Slayer AR" playlist could be made for like a month as a test to see if anyone would actually play it and go from there.

It could either be set up with all players starting with the same AR loadout, or just having a loadout for the main AAs (Pro vision, Invis, Jetpack, Regen, Decoy). From there it could either be like Halo 3, where the BR and/or DMR has one or two spawns around the map along with all the other normal weapons. Or it could be like Slayer Pro where the AR is the only weapon allowed and all the others (except the Magnum and/or the Plasma Pistol) would be locked. I personally think a SWAT AR gametype would be interesting, kind of with a tactical shooter feel where firing in bursts and keeping near cover are important.

What do you all think? Should the AR get more attention from 343 or am I in the sad minority here? Sorry for the poor writing but I'm kind of just trying to push this out before work.

Another suggestion I have, and I'm not a game programmer so I'm not sure how easy it would be to put this in a patch, would be to make the AR capable of headshots, or increasing the damage rounds make when they hit the head. It's extremely frustrating getting people's shields down with the bullets and just getting the kill stolen by someone using a weapon that can get headshots. It's not like it wouldn't be a challenge. You'd actually have to aim instead of just spraying like most people do with the AR.

I just looked through some other threads discussing the merits of precision vs automatic weapons, and one thing I've noticed is that no one really seems to realize how good the assault rifle is for mid ranged combat if you fire it in bursts and don't just spray everywhere. As to long range, I seriously think that either the recovery time for the spread on the dmr should be reduced, or the amount of spread for the assault rifle should be reduced, since it is basically pointless to try and kill an enemy who is using a precision weapon at long range, using an AR or other automatic weapon, and I feel that no game should have a gun that is impossible to get a kill with in any situation.

• Like 1

The assault rifle is a lot better than what it is made out to be. You just have to know when to use it. If you get Haven as the map you probably shouldn't use it, but if you get Adrift you won't do that bad. You just have to be a little smart about using the gun instead of rushing and shooting and hoping for a beat down.

The assault rifle is a lot better than what it is made out to be. You just have to know when to use it. If you get Haven as the map you probably shouldn't use it, but if you get Adrift you won't do that bad. You just have to be a little smart about using the gun instead of rushing and shooting and hoping for a beat down.

The AR has been my favorite gun since Halo 1, and I find it frustrating that there's certain times when the best option is just to not use it. I think the only time I use the BR/ DMR is when I occasionally play SWAT, but other than that I'm more than capable of getting around a 2.0 K/D and usually around 15 kills per game using just the AR. My strategy isn't to run in shooting and go for the melee, I usually just stay close to my teammates and suppress for them or finish off enemies after their unshielded.

the ar is op in halo 4 i use it to troll and i can beat a br and even dmr from mid range sometimes its stupid lol

by that line of thinking the precisionw eapons are OP at long range cuz automatics cant reach that distance.

i use the DMR/BR at long range to troll AR users sometimes its stupid lol

cwutididthur

making automatic weapons capable of burst firing at long range would be interesting, but not sure if it makes sense sadly.

The problem is, from a tactical standpoint, the percision weapons will always be better. By their very nature, they're equally effective (more or less) at all ranges. In a game like Halo, where player skill means a lot, it would be hard to make a weapon good at "mid-long range" not simply then be good at all ranges.

I could see a 1-2 bullet buff for the AR or other autos. Nothing too drastic. As it stands, a good player will just barely beat (but generally consistantly) beat a similarly skilled player with a DMR in cqb.

The problem is, from a tactical standpoint, the percision weapons will always be better. By their very nature, they're equally effective (more or less) at all ranges. In a game like Halo, where player skill means a lot, it would be hard to make a weapon good at "mid-long range" not simply then be good at all ranges.

I could see a 1-2 bullet buff for the AR or other autos. Nothing too drastic. As it stands, a good player will just barely beat (but generally consistantly) beat a similarly skilled player with a DMR in cqb.

obviously a fully automatic weapon should kill faster then the precision weapons given CqC.

buffing the AR would make it encroach on the SAW ordance drop, better to lower the ttk on precision weaposn and keep the autos the same. games too fast atm anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted no because a playlist where less is available is almost never going to be the solution to any problem. People love options, it is important to understand this and extremely important to also understand that taking things away NEVER makes them happy unless it's streamlining a type of gameplay (Like SWAT or snipers). "Everyone run into each other and die while racking up assists" is NOT an appealing gametype.

The AR needs a buff, and has always need a buff in every single game in which it has appeared. It has always been that weapon you throw away ASAP or that weapon you use because you couldn't find anything better.

I think the appropriate buff would be to let it become capable of making headshots. The fact that it can't has always been silly. The accuracy is enough to keep it as a closer-range weapon, but at least if it could make headshots you could have a chance of finishing your own kills. You don't need a damage boost, you just need a way to drop people quickly after you've popped their shields. At the moment you have to melee/switch weapons/'nade. You should just be able to cram in it their face and kill them. You will still lose fights to BRs and DMRs at their effective ranges, but you will win fights at YOUR effective range. That's how it should be, and that's how it should have always been.

Then you will have a weapon that can compete at the range it was intended to work at, which it doesn't right now.

The AR should be nerfed back to the power it had in the Halo 3 days, basically, at close range, the DMR should win unless the DMR misses at least once.

No the DMR should lose at close range even if every shot is perfect, and it should lose at mid-range to the BR. Close range should belong to the automatic weapon. Why on earth would you think a marksman rifle should be good up close?

Long range: DMR/Light Rifle

MId range: BR (Should be 4 shot again, the new recoil should stay because it keeps it from winning long range)

Close range: AR/Suppressor/Storm Rifle

Somewhere in there the carbine is supposed to find its place, but I couldn't tell you where.

I will never understand people who think one weapon should be the best at all ranges. That's not how it works IRL, and that's not how it works in almost any game. The DMR should get absolutely raped in Close Range, and the BR should barely survive. That is not their territory. It actually IS because the AR and its friends suck, but they shouldn't suck. They should be devastating in their effective range, and outclassed outside that effective range.