My opinion on the Experience Cap

Magdalen

First off, let me just say: phenomenal job with Halo 4, 343! It has been absolutely incredible, so please don't take this next part the wrong way.

In my opinion, the experience cap is a hindrance. I'm only available to game a limited amount of time every week because of school and work. I bought double xp tokens to try and account for this, so that my few games would let me keep up with my friends' ranks. This ultimately doesn't work, however. Take today for instance. Upon getting on my Xbox and seeing that I had the rest of the day to play some Halo, I figured I could make some progress towards catching up to my friends. I put in 12 or so matches worth of double xp, some of which were Spartan Ops, so I reached the xp cap in 4 hours or so. Then I quit, because there's really no point in playing if you're not being rewarded.

So hypothetically, everyone should be able to hit the xp cap every day or at least a few times a week while playing every day. Well what about us casual gamers who want to rank up, but can only rank up three or fours times a week due to our schedules? I'm not one of those guys who plays for skill and stats and what not. I just want to play, earn xp, and unlock some cool armor pieces.

So here's my opinion on the cap. I say take it off. Sure, you're going to get the rank-boosting shenanigans, but what experience-based game doesn't have rank boosters? They're all going to be eaten alive in match-making anyways. They'll just look pretty awesome doing so. The boosters will just end up punishing themselves in the long run, because they won't be practiced enough online to stand a chance against even me: a casual. What I see now with the people online is just frustration. I ran into a couple guys this morning, and one of em, after the match said, "Ah, I hit the xp cap, guys, I'm out" and he quit. This is what's going to happen.

If you have a reward system mirroring consistent reward models such as COD, where you get experience for everything no matter what, then people will get frustrated when their seemingly consistent flow of xp is cut off. And then we quit.

tl;dl -

Take off the cap, because people who have schedules that physically limit their play time won't be able to keep up by hitting the cap only two times a week, when everyone else is playing every day. And boosters are already irrelevant in multiplayer, especially when their stats show how bad they are, so that shouldn't matter.

Besides the xp cap, it's a great game.

I dont know if they need to get rid of the xp cap, as you stated it is really only in place to stop boosters, with that being the case, it should be ridiculously high and completely unobtainable by the average player even when using double xp. It should be high enough that only boosters can reach it and the average player will NEVER hit it

If you have a reward system mirroring consistent reward models such as COD, where you get experience for everything no matter what, then people will get frustrated when their seemingly consistent flow of xp is cut off. And then we quit.

First of all, this does not justify anyone's opinion that I have ran into. Yes the Experience Cap does get annoying, but you are playing with double experience points making it 2x faster to gain that cap limit of experience. I will tell everyone right now that I do not play with double experience and I played a legit 8-10 hours with my friends last night and NEVER hit the experience cap. This Cap is much greater than we all know. Wait until you use up all your double experience and you will see what I mean. For a "Casual" player you should have no problem with the cap.

Another thing I would like to add. Anyone who quits this game because experience is cut off is clearly not a true Halo fan and doesn't play this game for the fun and competitiveness within it. Before Halo 3, there was no experience like we earn now-a-days. We gained experience in levels, had no armors to unlock, no weapon skins or abilities to unlock..we played for competition and to beat the other team. Shame on anyone who "Quits" after experience cap.

Then I quit, because there's really no point in playing if you're not being rewarded.

If you feel like you should be rewarded for playing this game then maybe you should try out for the MLG or GameBattles tournaments. I almost wish this game had no rewards like it does now just because of this. If you are going to quit due to unobtainable experience, then Halo 4 is better off with out you.

FYI: You kind of ruined your "Casual" Statement with all the other stuff you put in here. Sounds to me like you do play only for rank and you don't want to be left behind by your friends. The experience isn't going anywhere, so take your time and chill out. You have multiple years to reach max level.