Halo 4 story explanation

Baeztoberfest

Can anyone explain to me why the Didact hates humans and why the covenant work for him now? And can anyone tell me why the librarian helped the chief? (Other than the fact he's the chief)

Also note that I'm only on mission 6 on legendary so far. I haven't beaten it yet.

That being said I get that he hates me because I'm the chief (big surprise... Have him some earl grey Tea in another lifetime if you catch my drift) and he is still mad at a human forerunner war?

First of all, what human forerunner war? I thought the forerunners were good and we were descendants of the forerunners. Didn't they design the halo rings to wipe out the flood? And when he didn't do it he was executed? (His escence was placed with someone else somehow before he died so he didn't REALLY die...)

I gathered that the librarian is on the home team and wants me to stop Didact. (Her motivations are unclear at this point in the campaign) and this dude is EXTREMELY upset at the human race for unknown reasons. Seriously can ANYONE explain any of this to me?

Don't get me wrong. Visually the game is stunning and the campaign has a lot of depth and I like that. And maybe I'm just plain dumb. But I wanna know what's going on... I'm so confused. I just want to know what's happening.

And captain del rio is a total staff captain. I hope he takes a high dive off the infinity. I mean I'm thinking that it being only FOUR years everyone would be familiar with master chief stopping two alien races from exterminating all sentient life in the galaxy. Guess he didn't get that memo so he's okay being such a ******.

And what happened to that admiral at the end of halo 3? And Miranda Keyes? Not that I was heavily invested in either of their survival I just wanted to know if lose ends were addressed.

Okay just found out (rather reminded) that Miranda was killed in 3. And it doesn't mention what happened to lord hood. And after watching the terminals I get that the forerunners were upset that we "cleansed" their planet because the flood were there.

The forerunner war is a retcon and it kind of sucks. The rest of the problems are poor writing and it does not make a lot of sense. The Didac and Captain of the infinity are nothing more than plot devices to extend the length of the real story which is saving Cortana. They both have to do totally stupid things and act like idiots in order to extend the plot. But that's only my opinion and some people really like the story. Then again some people think the Twilight series is brilliant writing. It's all about taste in most cases. For me this game was style over substance, I don't generally let plot wholes, plot devices or idiot plots slide, but some people do and they like the story for emotional context, and themes. I prefer a tighter story.

• Like 1

The forerunner war is a retcon and it kind of sucks. The rest of the problems are poor writing and it does not make a lot of sense. The Didac and Captain of the infinity are nothing more than plot devices to extend the length of the real story which is saving Cortana. They both have to do totally stupid things and act like idiots in order to extend the plot. But that's only my opinion and some people really like the story. Then again some people think the Twilight series is brilliant writing. It's all about taste in most cases. For me this game was style over substance, I don't generally let plot wholes, plot devices or idiot plots slide, but some people do and they like the story for emotional context, and themes. I prefer a tighter story.

The Forerunner-Human War is not a retcon at all. They explained that there was a war with the humans in Hal Cryptum, so we knew about it for 2 years, and It doesn't conflict with any knowledge we already have. And there is no way the Didact or Del Rio are plot devices. The Didact has been a character in the universe for 2 years now, and Del Rio was in The Thursday War. The fact that 343 would spend that much time developing these characters proves they're important. And the Ddact isn't idiot, read Cryptum and Primordium and you'll understand.

hey dipwad, take 5 seconds of your life to confirm facts before sounding like a total ******.

So here's a brief rundown of the war(in bad grammar).

100,000 years ago

Flood attack human and san shyumm (prophets).

Human & prophet form alliance and in other escape flood evacuate their infected planets and take over planets occupied by lower species.

Forerunners consider this an affront to mantle (they unaware of flood) and start war with human-prophet alliance.

Human-prophet find a cure to flood, flood driven off, but the alliance gets destroyed by forerunners, cure to flood lost.

Flood comes back and proceeds to rape forerunners. Forerunners destroy all life including themselves.

The end.

• Like 1

Okay but that still doesn't answer my question. As a matter of fact it only raises more.

Why is Didact so pissed at the human race? I mean yeah the forerunners are mad because we wiped their planet out. But why is he personally mad?

Why did the librarian help master chief? What are her motivations?

What happened to lord hood? And for that matter what happened to del rio? I'm on the last mission and they mention it but I was too busy dodging everything and its mother to make it to the end. (I'm intentionally trying to be vague to not ruin it for anyone)

So... Can anyone answer this?

And how is Didact and the librarian the last forerunners in existence? It didn't clarify one way or the other but that's just my guess. Because if they are the last remaining race they are split. Half hate me and half love me or unknown reasons...

I don't read the books I only smash the games on legendary and watch the shows. So... I'm glad they developed these characters from the book so I know what's going at least.

Sort of.

Okay but that still doesn't answer my question. As a matter of fact it only raises more.

Why is Didact so pissed at the human race? I mean yeah the forerunners are mad because we wiped their planet out. But why is he personally mad?

Why did the librarian help master chief? What are her motivations?

What happened to lord hood? And for that matter what happened to del rio? I'm on the last mission and they mention it but I was too busy dodging everything and its mother to make it to the end. (I'm intentionally trying to be vague to not ruin it for anyone)

So... Can anyone answer this?

And how is Didact and the librarian the last forerunners in existence? It didn't clarify one way or the other but that's just my guess. Because if they are the last remaining race they are split. Half hate me and half love me or unknown reasons...

Sort of.

Ok. So the Didact lost his children in the war, so that's his personal motivation. The Librarian is helping Chief because she is in charge if preserving life in the galaxy and keeping peace. Lord Hood is still alive, and Del Rio is n longer n charge of Infinity because he abandoned Chief on Requiem. The librarian was dead, that was just her mind as an A.I. kind of. And the Didact was in Requiem, which is a shield world, which is safe from the effects of the Halo rings. And it is possible that there are other forerunners still alive. Hope this helped
  • Like 1

Ok. So the Didact lost his children in the war, so that's his personal motivation. The Librarian is helping Chief because she is in charge if preserving life in the galaxy and keeping peace. Lord Hood is still alive, and Del Rio is n longer n charge of Infinity because he abandoned Chief on Requiem. The librarian was dead, that was just her mind as an A.I. kind of. And the Didact was in Requiem, which is a shield world, which is safe from the effects of the Halo rings. And it is possible that there are other forerunners still alive. Hope this helped

That answered every question I had. Lol. Thanks! I miss the old days where it was as simple as chief walks in that general direction and everything dies. Muhahahahahahaha!

• Like 1

hey dipwad, take 5 seconds of your life to confirm facts before sounding like a total ******.

So here's a brief rundown of the war(in bad grammar).

100,000 years ago

Flood attack human and san shyumm (prophets).

Human & prophet form alliance and in other escape flood evacuate their infected planets and take over planets occupied by lower species.

Forerunners consider this an affront to mantle (they unaware of flood) and start war with human-prophet alliance.

Human-prophet find a cure to flood, flood driven off, but the alliance gets destroyed by forerunners, cure to flood lost.

Flood comes back and proceeds to rape forerunners. Forerunners destroy all life including themselves.

The end.

YEA...

k what?

ok so, questions and some stuff i would like to poing out to you,

you saw the video right? then humans come across and forerunner planet that has a small infection by the flood, this is literally what the dialog was,

trigger man-"sir this flood down their"

shipmaster-"****"

trigger man- "what should we do?"

shipmaster- "destroy the planet... now!"

trigger man- "shouldent we worn them first?"

shipmaster- "uh no, that will give the flood MORE time to spread"

trigger man- "dude? really i could send a tweet right now wouldent even take a minute"

shipmaster- "fire danm it!"

trigger man- "but this could avoid and intergalactic incadent"

shipmaster- "....."

trigger man- "yes sir..."

.... poor writing

also.... a question

if the forerunner were at war with the humans, why the **** did they leave all that they left behind to humanity? why was humanity the only ones would could light the rings?

also, why did 343 stray so far from bungies story line, why add all this space magic in their? this isnt masse effect 3...

YEA...

k what?

ok so, questions and some stuff i would like to poing out to you,

you saw the video right? then humans come across and forerunner planet that has a small infection by the flood, this is literally what the dialog was,

trigger man-"sir this flood down their"

shipmaster-"****"

trigger man- "what should we do?"

shipmaster- "destroy the planet... now!"

trigger man- "shouldent we worn them first?"

shipmaster- "uh no, that will give the flood MORE time to spread"

trigger man- "dude? really i could send a tweet right now wouldent even take a minute"

shipmaster- "fire danm it!"

trigger man- "but this could avoid and intergalactic incadent"

shipmaster- "....."

trigger man- "yes sir..."

.... poor writing

also.... a question

if the forerunner were at war with the humans, why the **** did they leave all that they left behind to humanity? why was humanity the only ones would could light the rings?

also, why did 343 stray so far from bungies story line, why add all this space magic in their? this isnt masse effect 3...

The writing in that terminal made sense because warning the forerunners would've given the Flood more time to spread, and they left all their " **** " to mankind because top mankind was going to inherit the mantle of responsibility, so they had to leave their stuff for them so they could gain the mantle, and clearly it helped.

Wow some of you really aren't trying to understand the story and just claiming it's bad Storytelling.

I'll break it down so it's easy to understand. (there will probably be spoilers.)

The Libarian and Didact are both Prometheans which are High class Forerunners, some of the prometheans are also Human but most looked like the Forerunners you see in halo 4 due to being mutated. The Foreunners you see attacking (bigger, hunched over ones) you are highly trained Warrior-Servants they are mutated humans just like The DIdact once was. But Prometheans are both Forerunners and Humans it's just most of the Forerunners are mutated humans that weigh 800 lbs and can crush a human skull with their bare hands)

The Forerunners felt they should take care of the balance of the milky way galaxy making sure that all species keep from exinction or too much power, they did this by following the "Mantle" which is their bible and holds all the rules and regulations to balanceing the galaxy.

The Humans in 110,000 BC had developed technology that rivaled the Forerunners but then they came across "The Flood" a Viral species that consumes sentinal beings and makes them their own to prevent their own extinction they teamed up with the Covenent (San 'Shyumu) to take them down which worked and they found a way to neutralize the threat of the flood. The Forerunners caught wind of this and being the "custodians" they thought that their choice to neutralize the flood violates the rules of the mantle and so they waged war on them and defeated them, broke their alliance, de-evolved humans as punishment to a more primitive stage, and lost the cure for the flood. Soon the flood began attacking the forerunners and it nearly whipped them out so they created the halo rings to destroy the flood before they were whipped out completely. The Forerunners where lead by the Didact who was killed by another commander of the forerunners but inhereted someone elses body at somepoint. The forerunners did not want to use the halo array because it violates the mantle despite being whipped out by the flood. But in the end the DIdact did and later he did not want humans to be their succsesor because he did not trust them so he created an artifact that could turn humans into Forerunners instead but it just disinitgrated them this is "The composer."

since the other forerunners strongly opposed this act they imprisoned the didact in the Cryptum (the red ball)

The Libarian was married to the Didact and had kids with him but all those kids died at war against the humans and San 'Shyumu.

The Libarian believed in the Humans to be their succsessor like the other forerunner but unlike her husband, she was afraid of her husband using the the composer to wipe out humanity so she tweaked human DNA and eventually come up the immunity to the composer which she intended to give to Master chief. She set up the de-evolved humans to be the succsesor to the forerunners in their last dying moments even cortana and all the technology the humans aquiired. THe humans even have access to the halo rings just in case the flood returned. The covanent had a misconception about the halo rings they thought they would unlock "The Great Journey" and when they found out they couldn't control it they got jealous and angry and attempted to whip out the humans. They even unleash the flood again (some what accidently) at one point on the humans (but they end up consuming both) In halo 3 despite a breif truce to get ahold of the flood they covenant prohet betrays their alliance and is even willing to sacrifice his own people to destroy humans so Master Chief kicks his ass but doesn't beat them.

The story is complex i'm sure I might of missed something but that's the nutshell.

The Libarian and Didact are both Prometheans which are High class Forerunners, some of the prometheans are also Human but most looked like the Forerunners you see in halo 4 due to being mutated. The Foreunners you see attacking (bigger, hunched over ones) you are highly trained Warrior-Servants they are mutated humans just like The DIdact once was. But Prometheans are both Forerunners and Humans it's just most of the Forerunners are mutated humans that weigh 800 lbs and can crush a human skull with their bare hands)

Wait, what? Absolutely not. The Librarian is a Lifeworker, wich is above the Didact rate, Warrior-Servant. Both are lower in rank to the Miners and Builders.

The second part is unclear, you have to adjust your grammar. Prometheans were Forerunners, wich at the end of the war with the Flood were mutated into AI (immune to the infection), the Knights you fight in the game. When the didact realised his forces were not sufficient, he too composed humans into AI. So, the knights you fight in the game are both Forerunners and Humans.

The Humans in 110,000 BC had developed technology that rivaled the Forerunners but then they came across "The Flood" a Viral species that consumes sentinal beings and makes them their own to prevent their own extinction they teamed up with the Covenent (San 'Shyumu) to take them down which worked and they found a way to neutralize the threat of the flood.

San Shyuum were not Covenant. This is an alliance formed in the "after-array" galaxy.

The Forerunners caught wind of this and being the "custodians" they thought that their choice to neutralize the flood violates the rules of the mantle and so they waged war on them

Again, no. The Forerunners were not conscious about the existance of the Flood. They attached Humans because they thought they were invading their territory, instead of running safely away from the infection.

But in the end the DIdact did and later he did not want humans to be their succsesor because he did not trust them so he created an artifact that could turn humans into Forerunners instead but it just disinitgrated them this is "The composer."

No. He didn't create the Composer, he just used it against humans to have a new army of Knights, and then he tried to use it on Earth to prevent the human supremacy of the galaxy. It doesn't disintegrate them, it turns them into AI.

and when they found out they couldn't control it they got jealous and angry and attempted to whip out the humans. They even unleash the flood again (some what accidently) at one point on the humans (but they end up consuming both) In halo 3 despite a breif truce to get ahold of the flood they covenant prohet betrays their alliance and is even willing to sacrifice his own people to destroy humans so Master Chief kicks his ass but doesn't beat them.

Not at all. The Prophet asked the Dreadnought's oracle why there were so many Forerunners' artifacts on Human's planets, and the oracle (wich was a sliver of the original Mendicant Bias) said "his makers are his masters, he served his makers, his makers are the humans, he would conduct his makers safely to the ark." So, the Prophets kept this secret to not destroy the basis of the Covenant, and decided to genocide the Humans.

Ufff, please correct your grammar, i had to read it three times before i could get it.