My Thought's on the Story so far(spoilers)

DaviesGaming

Firstly, I would like to say that I have completed all of the Halo games and have enjoyed all of them greatly, another thing I would like to say is that even though I have not read the books, that task is within my immediate future. I know this knowledge isn't that important, but hopefully it will help people see that I am not just a new comer.

I really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign/story. And there is a lot of great moments in it that I could endlessly talk about. But for this thread anyway, I want to talk about the things that I didn't like that much, not so that it sounds like I'm hating on 343i and what they did, but to hopefully give some constructive criticism.

The ending seemed quite abrupt. I went from "this is getting really really good, what's next?" to "wtf this is the end?" in a matter of moments. I knew that we were chasing the Didact to stop him in time, I didn't get a sense of "we are in a hurry and HAVE to catch him." In the cut scene where MC is crossing the light bridge to prime the nuke, he just cautiously/casually strolled across, and I couldn't help thinking "how can you just walk like that in this time of urgent need for speed?" It just didn't evoke any sense of urgency.

Another thing was the Broadsword flying. Halo has had a tendancy to have a mad dash to get somewhere at the end, which was always a little challenging. In halo 3 for example, driving that warthog across panels that were falling was thrilling, and it made me feel as if i was racing to save myself. In Halo 4 however, the broadsword sequence was cool. But again I never really felt that sense of urgency as if I was in a lot of danger or someone I was trying to save was in danger.

I only died once, compared to the 4+ times on the Halo 3 ending.

Now to as how MC was made to deal with the Didact, as much as I enjoyed the way we "defeated" him, I do not think that the quick time event was the right was to deal with him. It seemed very CoD-ish. I would have preffered it if you had to fight him in some way. Maybe by shooting him, going in for a melee to take away a part of his chest plate, then putting the grenade in would have made it worthy of such powerful beings.

Last thing I want to mention, as much as I understand how it was done. I HATED Cortana's death. In my opinion, Halo is about MC and Cortana, fighting the enemies together, and making a big scene about how Cortana was really important to MasterChief, and how he promised to save her, to then kill her? I think it was a real blunder, as not only did you destroy half of what players have been attached to since Halo: CE, you also made it so that you now need to create another AI that is better than cortana. Which, in my opinion 343i cannot do. Players have neen attached to Cortana for a very long time, anything other than her will never be as good in their eyes.

That is of course if a spartan needs an AI. So maybe someone can clarify that for me. I really do hope that they haven't killed Cortana off completely. They took a big risk playing with our hearts doing that.

Thanks for reading.

Some of this I agree with. The ending wasn't quite what I expected, allthough it was a nice tone really. The drama, the intensity, everything just rose up and then finished like a an opera killed by 50 snipers.

Seriously though, I think a lot of people demand too much out of videogame series. Halo 4, is one of the best sequels out there at the moment. Thinking about the fact that it's the fourth in the story of Master Chief, and god knows how much in the story of the Halo universe, it's actually nice that it was just that good.

I'm a lot more concerned about the opening, what was up with that lame interrogation about Master Chief with Halsey. I mean, I get what it was about, but it didn't really fit in to this story. Maybe it fits in to sequels 5 and 6, otherwise it just seemed like it was a waste of storytelling time.

Some of this I agree with. The ending wasn't quite what I expected, allthough it was a nice tone really. The drama, the intensity, everything just rose up and then finished like a an opera killed by 50 snipers.

Seriously though, I think a lot of people demand too much out of videogame series. Halo 4, is one of the best sequels out there at the moment. Thinking about the fact that it's the fourth in the story of Master Chief, and god knows how much in the story of the Halo universe, it's actually nice that it was just that good.

I'm a lot more concerned about the opening, what was up with that lame interrogation about Master Chief with Halsey. I mean, I get what it was about, but it didn't really fit in to this story. Maybe it fits in to sequels 5 and 6, otherwise it just seemed like it was a waste of storytelling time.

Chances are it will fit into sequels 5 and 6. As I understood it, he was questioning Halsey about MC because they didnt know if he was dead or not and they wanted replacements

I think 343 has got the "not so good" end of the story" think about it bungie gotto tell the human covenant war story , which was epic as I think the covenant is a great enemy and well crafted (kudos to whoever invented them ) 343 got the after math , no more covenant .

I'm disappointed because I feel as of we are getting a more supernatural / space magic type of game , we're we have races which are dead for thousands of years influencing the present it just ruins the game , halo isn't about space magic Harry potter stuff it's about a supersoldier defending earth with his AI companion

I actually hope Cortana doesn't come back. As much as I loved her character and the Master Chief being the invincible, unstoppable super-soldier, the time has come for things to change. Otherwise the story gets stale, gets repetitive, gets boring. For this trilogy to top the original trilogy in terms of story, the threat can't just be to humanity generally this time. It has to be a threat to the Master Chief personally. There has to be not just the chance, but the very real possibility that he can fail. What better way to set that up than by having him fail to protect the person closest to him?

On another level, I want this trilogy to end with the Master Chief finally getting some measure of personal peace. He's been fighting (or training to fight) for almost literally his entire life. It's time he gets to see the other side of life. But in order for that to happen, he has to come face to face with his own humanity. He has to feel things he's never felt before, he has to think things he's never thought before. He has to start questioning both who he is and, almost more importantly, what he is. And the best way to do that is what 343 actually did.

For the Master Chief to evolve and become something more than the perfect soldier, things cannot go back to the way they were. At the very least, Cortana cannot come back in Halo 5 and if/when she does come back in Halo 6, she absolutely cannot come back exactly the way she was before. She needs to change as well, although not to quite the same degree John does.

I actually hope Cortana doesn't come back. As much as I loved her character and the Master Chief being the invincible, unstoppable super-soldier, the time has come for things to change. Otherwise the story gets stale, gets repetitive, gets boring. For this trilogy to top the original trilogy in terms of story, the threat can't just be to humanity generally this time. It has to be a threat to the Master Chief personally. There has to be not just the chance, but the very real possibility that he can fail. What better way to set that up than by having him fail to protect the person closest to him?

On another level, I want this trilogy to end with the Master Chief finally getting some measure of personal peace. He's been fighting (or training to fight) for almost literally his entire life. It's time he gets to see the other side of life. But in order for that to happen, he has to come face to face with his own humanity. He has to feel things he's never felt before, he has to think things he's never thought before. He has to start questioning both who he is and, almost more importantly, what he is. And the best way to do that is what 343 actually did.

For the Master Chief to evolve and become something more than the perfect soldier, things cannot go back to the way they were. At the very least, Cortana cannot come back in Halo 5 and if/when she does come back in Halo 6, she absolutely cannot come back exactly the way she was before. She needs to change as well, although not to quite the same degree John does.

That is exactly how i feel. I disagree with the whole cortana bit tho. I would love to see her come back in halo 5, but bring her back in a different way or form. But everything else i agree with 100%. This is 343 story to tell now and we must go with whatever they give us.

This is what a member posted about his views on the story, I agree with everything he said. It is a negative view so i'm sorry for begin negative.

The Storm Covenant: I knew the Storm Covenant was meant to be a minor foe in the grand scheme of things within the story, but I was still a bit underwhelmed by their presence. They were fleshed out in Halo: The Thursday War, but in the game they were just there to be enemies. I had hope with the Prologue Terminal and its introduction of Jul 'Mdama, but even that led nowhere. His presence in the game was non-existent however. It would've been great to see Jul as a true adversary to Master Chief in the games working alongside the Didact, maybe even act like Truth did in Halo 3 with his religious ramblings about the Great Journey.

Spartan Ops has also reduced them to squatters on Requiem who work alongside the Promethean Knights. Hopefully the rest of Spartan Ops will shed light on what else they have to do on Requiem, but as far as them being a faction goes, their story may end just as soon as it began.

The Didact: As far as the Didact's role as the antagonist in Halo 4 went, it was a bit underwhelming. He just wasn't a really good or believable villain in my eyes. Yes, he has a myriad and sordid history that is shown in pieces within the campaign. It was interesting to see the politics of the Human-Forerunner War, but the Didact seemed overwhelmingly unreasonable in his hatred of humanity.

Most of his points about humanity being evil was disproved in both the novels and the Terminals themselves. With his history in the books regarding losing his children in the war and seeing his civilization crumble, I had hoped for a sympathetic and tragic villain, but he only came off as ***** to put it bluntly. That and we never are told WHICH Didact it was, I felt that would've put a better perspective on his attitude.

The Terminals and Reference: Speaking of the Terminals, I liked how they shed light on the Forerunner side of things, but they were really schizophrenic in their timelines. I never got a real sense of when they occurred or how they fit within the lore's timeline. I think a few more references to Cryptum and Primordium would've made things better.

Honestly, I think 343i just tried to fit in too many references to the novels without a solid foundation to do so. To get the info there, you would've needed to read the books, something they said people would not need to do.

Master Chief:Make no mistake, this is not about Chief's character development. This is the first Halo game where he actually felt HUMAN to me, not some machine who said catchy one-liners. No, my issue is with what 343i essentially made him: a Space Jesus. What I mean by that is that Chief seems to have become a "Chosen One" type of character. The Librarian said that she planted seeds specifically for the creation of somebody like John to arise.

It makes Chief truly important, but I feel it cheapens the other characters in the game and lore. It is like a giant middle finger to everybody else, "Sorry, Chief is the only one who matters, ha!". I'm fine with Chief being a central part of Halo, but not as THE character of Halo who will have the biggest impact. Sorry folks, but that one is just a more personal complaint of mine.

Missed Opportunities: To wrap things up, I felt 343i missed some important story points they could've mentioned. What was the relevance of the ship that landed on Installation 04? Where were the references to characters like Chakas and Riser from the Forerunner Saga? Why were the Precursors not mentioned? Just a couple of things.

-quote-

1. The Storm is an unimportant enemy. They're just a faction of the Covenant that still hates humanity. We already learned a lot about the Covenant in the other games and books and the Storm is just a part of that. They don't need their own story. The Prometheans are the main enemy.

2. Spartan Ops just started. the second episode hasn't even been released yet.

3.I don't see how he wasn't a good adversary. He hates humanity and wants them obliterated. He also has the power to do so. His hate of humanity maybe unreasonable, but that's a good thing. It means that he'll never stop. He will fight util he is dead or victorious.

4. The Master Chief is important. This is nothing new. The instruction manual that came with Halo 3 described him as the last and best hope for humanity. He the greatest warrior that ever lived so he's obviously going to be important.

1. The Storm is an unimportant enemy. They're just a faction of the Covenant that still hates humanity. We already learned a lot about the Covenant in the other games and books and the Storm is just a part of that. They don't need their own story. The Prometheans are the main enemy.

2. Spartan Ops just started. the second episode hasn't even been released yet.

3.I don't see how he wasn't a good adversary. He hates humanity and wants them obliterated. He also has the power to do so. His hate of humanity maybe unreasonable, but that's a good thing. It means that he'll never stop. He will fight util he is dead or victorious.

4. The Master Chief is important. This is nothing new. The instruction manual that came with Halo 3 described him as the last and best hope for humanity. He the greatest warrior that ever lived so he's obviously going to be important.

Frank O'connor said we dont need to read the books to understand Halo 4.

We know what the main covenant was all about, but there should have been a little more told about the storm and why some elites are still in.

Master chief becoming the chosen one was too over the top and seems ridiculous, being humanity's best warrior then being the chosen one to be the hero of the forerunners and everything else was just far too much.

I can see where you are coming from, but it is a risk. I still think they should bring Cortana back and keep your suggestion. This whole thing could be achieved because of what has happened.

They already have, his name is B.B. or Black Box. You'll meet him in Glasslands and Thursday War

I'm not sure when I'll be able to read the novels. I have quite a lot to read before them.

But from the point of view of someone who hasn't read them(and even those people who will not read them) Nobody can beat Cortana. And even though this B.B could be better and more likeable, people have only seen the writings of him, and haven't experience him in a way like they have experience Cortana.

I can see where you are coming from, but it is a risk. I still think they should bring Cortana back and keep your suggestion. This whole thing could be achieved because of what has happened.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to read the novels. I have quite a lot to read before them.

But from the point of view of someone who hasn't read them(and even those people who will not read them) Nobody can beat Cortana. And even though this B.B could be better and more likeable, people have only seen the writings of him, and haven't experience him in a way like they have experience Cortana.

Trust me, yes we have. He is very sarcastic and reminds of Cortana sometimes. Whenever you'll read the books you'll se what I mean.

Trust me, yes we have. He is very sarcastic and reminds of Cortana sometimes. Whenever you'll read the books you'll se what I mean.

Hm, wel I'll be cautiously optimistic about it then. But it will be difficult for me to accept him, until I read the books.

Though I'm not sure about the sarcasm. Baird from Gears is very sarcastic and I loathed him with a passion.