Phrase Forward Unto Dawn

Sierra1117

In episode 2 of Forward Unto Dawn, you see Lasky reading the words on the wall above his bed before the exam. You see a bunch of words, but you can also see the phrase Forward Unto Dawn. Now in Episode 1, you can see some graffiti on a sign that says "Forward Unto Death". The fact that the phrase "Forward Unto Dawn" is used by the military, it makes me wonder its meaning. Does it mean that they must go through the darkness to reach the light, that they must endure pain and suffering for peace and serenity. Now if I'm not mistaken, the ship FUD was comissioned during the Human-Covenant War, therefore the meaning of the phrase would make sense because the humans saw the the war as the darkness before the dawn. What do you guys think about this?

• Like 2

In episode 2 of Forward Unto Dawn, you see Lasky reading the words on the wall above his bed before the exam. You see a bunch of words, but you can also see the phrase Forward Unto Dawn. Now in Episode 1, you can see some graffiti on a sign that says "Forward Unto Death". The fact that the phrase "Forward Unto Dawn" is used by the military, it makes me wonder its meaning. Does it mean that they must go through the darkness to reach the light, that they must endure pain and suffering for peace and serenity. Now if I'm not mistaken, the ship FUD was comissioned during the Human-Covenant War, therefore the meaning of the phrase would make sense because the humans saw the the war as the darkness before the dawn. What do you guys think about this?

You might be right, but I think it's a play off of an old saying in the armed services. The saying "We will fight until we die, and when we do we will go to hell and regroup" and is finished by either "and then fight the devil and his demons and take over the place" or "and then fight our way out." Since when one is fighting, one goes forward, and since hell is "everlasting night", fighting your way out of hell would be fighting "forward unto dawn". This of course is only for the second phrase.
  • Like 2

You might be right, but I think it's a play off of an old saying in the armed services. The saying "We will fight until we die, and when we do we will go to hell and regroup" and is finished by either "and then fight the devil and his demons and take over the place" or "and then fight our way out." Since when one is fighting, one goes forward, and since hell is "everlasting night", fighting your way out of hell would be fighting "forward unto dawn". This of course is only for the second phrase.

thats basically the same meaning. Fighting forward in "everlasting night" to dawn, or peace.

Cool interpretation. I remember quickly seeing that written on the wall. Forward Unto Dawn, the series is shaping up to be a pretty good watch. They seem to elaborate on character's backstories rather well, so maybe we will get further insight as to the meaning of the phrase "Forward Unto Dawn". I really do like the way you've looked at it though and I could see this is a possible explanation, since you're train of thought is valid and seems to build a solid enough argument for be to believe it. Great job and cool post.