The Light Rifle..

Shokyr

Hey everybody. As Nov. 6 approaches, I've become increasingly antsy about playing Halo 4, and I've been looking up more and more gameplay every day. Now, today I got an extensive look at the Light Rifle and it's gameplay in Matchmaking. I would've put this thread in 'General Discussion', but Match Making seemed more fit as to the fact that it's the only place that my concern rests.

Now, as I said earlier, I recently got an extensive look at the Light Rifle and it's uses and implications on the battlefield, and I've got to tell you - this weapon looks absolutely devastating. I was watching a player, Walshy, use it on a match on Haven, and he was killing about everybody with it whilst he still had about half of a shield. Now, I realize he is an MLG player, but some concern started to rise the more gameplay I watched.

The more I saw, the more I got to wondering - is the Light Rifle unbalanced? I was watching gameplay from PAX, so it's a somewhat recent version of the game. Perhaps it's been toned down, and perhaps there's nothing to worry about. I'm just here to have a few questions answered.

1. Do you think the Light Rifle seems a bit overpowered, or unbalanced? After all, as I said, he was killing about every enemy whilst he still had about half to a third of his shields remaining.

2. If this weapon is so destructive, why doesn't everybody use it? It's a starting weapon, so everybody has access to it. I see just about anybody who uses it get kill after kill, so why don't we see it used more?

3. Doesn't it seem a bit short on starting ammo? This may be the prime reason for #2, and possibly a counter for #1. Sure, maybe it is more powerful, but that fact could be opposed by it's lack of starting ammunition. However, with the package that allows you to pick up ammo from fallen players, the Light Rifle would definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any and all input!

From my experience at SDCC...the LR was awesome, but I actually prefered the Carbine. The dual modes of the LR, (3 round burst when un-scoped, single shot when scoped), were pretty cool...but the clip was smaller, and the RoF was high but it had a bit more spread. The Carbine only has the single fire mode, but it had a high RoF, good sized clip, and decent spread. Really, like any weapon, it depends on the skill of the player. I am sure if it is unbalanced and a little OP as the game continues, 343i will nerf it. But I think it fits well.

From my experience at SDCC...the LR was awesome, but I actually prefered the Carbine. The dual modes of the LR, (3 round burst when un-scoped, single shot when scoped), were pretty cool...but the clip was smaller, and the RoF was high but it had a bit more spread. The Carbine only has the single fire mode, but it had a high RoF, good sized clip, and decent spread. Really, like any weapon, it depends on the skill of the player. I am sure if it is unbalanced and a little OP as the game continues, 343i will nerf it. But I think it fits well.

Nice, thanks a lot for the quick reply. I haven't been lucky enough to play the actual game myself, but if you feel that it wasn't overwhelming in any way, or that the gameplay was fair, maybe I am mistaken. I really love all of the functions of the LR so far, and if the spread isn't so bad, I may pick it over the DMR. I've gotta wait to play, first, though. :no

Nice, thanks a lot for the quick reply. I haven't been lucky enough to play the actual game myself, but if you feel that it wasn't overwhelming in any way, or that the gameplay was fair, maybe I am mistaken. I really love all of the functions of the LR so far, and if the spread isn't so bad, I may pick it over the DMR. I've gotta wait to play, first, though. :no

Yeah I mean like I said, if the player is skilled the LR will be beast...but that can be said with most weapons essentially. Also like I said, I prefered the Carbine over the other rifles, just for the High RoF, good clip, and less spread. Does a bit less damage than the others but it makes up for it by the RoF and accuracy. The DMR was lame...only good for big maps, and when you are on a big map other weapons and vehicles play a larger role than the DMR. The BR was fun and brought back memories, but wasnt overly awesome. The LR and Carbine were my faves

I also thought the Light Rifle seemed OP, but then I remembered that some of the players from the gameplay footage are really good, and they're gonna make anything look very strong.

Exactly...if the player is skilled, the weapon will be devastating.

Exactly...if the player is skilled, the weapon will be devastating.

This. The weapon is only good if the player knows how to use it. Few people use it because they don't know how to use it, I guess. As for your third question, I think it's intentional to limit its ammo count, otherwise it would be OP. ;)