Help me out? I need some tips!

PizzaGrenade

Alright, so here is the story. I started a map where I am building an old cement plant, and I came across a problem and I need an answer for. My problem is tje walls. I know the shape of what I am building and I know how it is going to look but it's the materials that I am having a problem with. I started the actual structure by using wall pieces to build a specific section and I was wondering, why don't the professional forge builders use the walls? Am I going at this the wrong way? If so, what pieces should I or could I use as a substitute for the wall pieces?

A very common wall-piece substitute, which I believe was started by THFE... but don't take my word for it... was to use Brace large pieces. What you do, in most cases, is bury the burves end in the ground and have the long side vertical. You can choose which side you want inside and which you want outside (since they both offer a different design). Depending on whether your structure is against a rock background, you could put them horizontally - since the problem with doing that in any of other case is that the curved-end sticks out. Here's an example of how I implemented brace larges on my "Tanker" map to build the control room:

tanker14.jpg

You can see I also used walls, out of necessity, but they can change the layout of the map.

Tanker11.jpg

Here, from the inside of the control room, you can see the opposing side (which offers a different design)

This is a link to the full map if you want to see it: "Tanker"

A very common wall-piece substitute, which I believe was started by THFE... but don't take my word for it... was to use Brace large pieces. What you do, in most cases, is bury the burves end in the ground and have the long side vertical. You can choose which side you want inside and which you want outside (since they both offer a different design). Depending on whether your structure is against a rock background, you could put them horizontally - since the problem with doing that in any of other case is that the curved-end sticks out. Here's an example of how I implemented brace larges on my "Tanker" map to build the control room:

tanker14.jpg

You can see I also used walls, out of necessity, but they can change the layout of the map.

Tanker11.jpg

Here, from the inside of the control room, you can see the opposing side (which offers a different design)

This is a link to the full map if you want to see it: "Tanker"

Woah, nice post also nice map. :)

• 1 month later...

If you are ralking in halo IV i have one idea its called magnate. But you might allready know it just press the button B and click on magnates and custermize it. :D

But if you are talking about REACH i have no tips but yet i am pretty good at the forge mode i have made 7 forge worlds useing trar zone, lights, self built buildings and lots of others.

Magnet can help at times but other times it can be a pain when used wrong. Another way to build a map without using walls to set the main structure down would be to use railings, long. They can be used like skeletal structures for the body that you can build on. Hopefully it will be worth your time sir^^

• 3 weeks later...

I usually forge with the nudge tools rather than with the magnets because they are more accurate, Magnets are only useful at aligning things that cannot be aligned to a specific point.

For example if I have too many pieces together on the same line they tend to flicker because it's two objects fused together, so I nudged it down by roughly 0.30 by clicking on the piece and moving it down by as I do so I lock the piece before it moves completely making it stay where I want it but not flickering.

And the magnet tool is useful for connecting multiple pieces together when I cannot use the co-ordinates to do so because the previous object is locked at a '0.something' between the co-ordinates.

Also locking pieces as you move them can be a great way to adjust something by a little rather than a lot.

Hope this helps, The Sigma AI

• 1 month later...

I think one of the main reasons you see so few "walls" in maps is because there are so few of them, and lots of great aesthetic pieces come from the same inventory. So forgers use blocks, and braces instead, to reserve the wall inventory for other things.

Well, most forgers would deem the walls too thin. That's why you won't see too many forgers using them, because it just isn't realistic. What most people will use, or Blocks. I strongly suggest using these instead, as it makes the map more authentic, realistic and believable. You can use Brace Larges, however these are found in the decorative section, and may sap away your budget.

Hope this helps.