Anyone ever get the Disc can't read error?

Cassius55

I get this error every 5-15 games, right after the game ends it says "Disc can't read" and it brings me back to my dashboard. When this happens, do stats still get saved or not? It is realy annoying. Is therea ny way to stop this from happening? Maybe if I downloaded the game to a hard drive or USB it will stop happening. Do you still need the discs after you install the game on a usb or hard drive?

If you install the game, you still need the disc to play it - it just increases loading times. Your disc is probably damaged in some way if this doesn't happen with other games, so it might be best to invest in a new one - you can pick up a used copy of Reach for under £10 in most places, and you'll still be able to use any pre-order bonuses you got with your original disc. If it happens with other games, you can either try using a lens cleaning disc, which can be fairly expensive, or sending your Xbox away for repairs, as that's likely the problem.

Guest Thee Dogg

When this happen to me this is what I did. Step 1. Is your disc scratched

step2. Is your xboxs or disc first hot

step 3. . Do you got the old xbox

Step4. Do you get red ring warnings or xboxs making strange noises.

If you said yes to any of these that's why

When this happen to me this is what I did. Step 1. Is your disc scratched

step2. Is your xboxs or disc first hot

step 3. . Do you got the old xbox

Step4. Do you get red ring warnings or xboxs making strange noises.

If you said yes to any of these that's why

I have the old xbox no red ring , why halo reach messes up with old xbox 360's?

I get the disc error right after a game is over in the load screen before it shows you how much credits you got, would my stats still be saved?

Yes, they should still be saved. Reach records things as they happen, not after the game. That's why if you kill two enemies and then die and quit, your stats are still updated. It'll still count as a win and not a quit as long as you get the 'Game Over' announcement before it crashes.

In juxtaposition to RedStarRocket91, I believe downloading the game to your hard drive would solve your problem. My understanding is that downloading it to your hard drive puts all of the disc's information on the drive and all the disc is needed for is to verify the game or something. I had the same problem when I first got my copy of Bad Company 2 a good while ago. The game would only read every now and then, and when I finally got it to read, I downloaded it to my hard drive and never had the problem again. I could always be wrong though. It's worth a try. Unless you're having this problem with other games, in that case, your disc-tray is probably damaged.

But what about the stats when this error comes up right at the end of a game? It comes in the load screen right after a game is over. Do stats still get recorded?

The stats are not saved in unfinished games. That's why people quit out of games when they are getting pwnd. And yes, downloading the disc to your hard drive should clear up the problem. I suggest you get a better disc to do the download though. All you have to do is rent a copy of Halo Reach (this should ensure you getting a decent disc) and copy it to your hard drive. Then you can return it and use your old disc to play the game, without disc read errors. :D

And yes, after you download the game to your hard drive you DO need to use the disc to play it, otherwise there would be no reason to rent games.

I installed it, but then un-installed it, and I have never gotten ithe message again. (my disc worked on other xboxes, it was my own, and once it had everything on it, then it seemed the xbox knew what to do even when I un-installed it. Thank you ghost files!