(Fan fic) Halo: Headhunters

Frankenzer

Prologue: 

Captain Dave worriedly but excitedly looks into the blackness of space. He knew that deep inside him, he was unsure if he was fit for the job. His body began to shake as he thought of what awaits him.

A week ago he received orders to meet up with ONI. It's not everyday you get to talk to a organization full of secrets. Everything became twisted when he found out that ONI wanted him to commandeer the UNSC Nightlight, a prowler built for special operations. Not even the covenant could detect it. 

He then discovered that the prowler contained precious cargo, Spartans. Spartans the world might never know. Spartans built to take suicide missions. These Spartans were different from the ones he was accustomed to seeing. They were a bit shorter but wore the same armour regardless. They were Spartan IIIs. They are a new generation of Spartans. Well, that's what ONI told him.

"All is set", the ships AI said. "Very well, prepare the Spartans for their very first mission", Captain Dave said. He still felt shaky inside.

• Like 4

Chapter 1: 20 hours later

The UNSC Nightlight was on its way to Oynx to retrieve some equipment when a nearby colony world, Honeywell, asked for help. The planet was never fully explored but it contained vast resources. It never required terraforming, and 2 weeks before its discovery, the UNSC already sent people to gather some resources. However, a week after that, war with the Covenant broke out. The UNSC was never able to fully support the people living and working there. Now they can though.

Captain Dave knew that the planet at least had some military support, but a few men and some warthogs won’t be able to stop a Covenant ship from glassing the planet.

“The Spartans are ready sir.” he was interrupted mid thought by the ship’s A.I. He has been on the ship for at least a week now and he has been accustomed to talking to Richard. He thinks the AI is pretty interesting but he admits that Richard was also a bit annoying. He wondered if he would call Richard a he or an it, but he was interrupted once again.

“Sir, Honeywell won’t be able to stand their ground for long. On a side note, how the hell came up with that name?” Captain Dave loved humour but he didn’t want to laugh now. Not while a planet is being butchered by the Covenant. No…..he’s seen enough planets butchered by them.

“Prepare to engage the Covenant ship and send the Spartans to the planet via drop pod. It’s about time the Covenant learned some manners.”

Location: Inside the UNSC Nightlight’s Cryo room orbiting Honeywell

The nightlight was a prowler modified to contain at least 20 Spartans. These Spartans were to be kept in a Cryo tube until they are needed. Sergeant Luke felt quite small compared to how tall these Spartans were. The only things he knew about them was that they were meant for spec ops and worked in pairs. These Spartans were quite different from the ones he heard about. Nonetheless, he felt puny. Was he really going to command these Spartans?

Richard’s hologram came out of nowhere. “Hey Lukey, the Captain needs you on the bridge ASAP” The AI was acting like he has known the crew of the ship for a long time, but he wasn’t particularly bothered.

The Spartans were line up in a neat file and saluted the Sergeant. He saluted back and left for the bridge.

Location: Inside the UNSC Nightlight’s Cryo room orbiting Honeywell

The moment the Sarge left, Josh began to talk like he does all the time. “I wonder how long we were inside that freezer this time. I don’t know about you but I regret putting on my armour immediately after getting out of there because now my body itches like hell”

“We were trained to ignore the itching” Jake felt irritated but he still felt glad that Josh was his partner. He remembered back in Onyx when he was chosen to be part of the Headhunters, Oni explained why they decided to pair them up. Oni took the idea from the way the hunters behaved in combat. When paired, a hunter performs twice as well as it performs alone. Once one of the pair has fallen the other enters a frenzied state and performs 10 times better than it performs alone in combat.

This made Jake feel uneasy, but he was excited for what awaits him today.

• Like 4

I'd appreciate it if you guys left comments :)

So I've decided to release parts of a chapter each day just so this thread won't die.

Chapter 2

Location: Inside the UNSC Nightlight's bridge orbiting Honeywell

Sergeant Luke entered the bridge, he felt a chill running down his spine. He always thought the Captain was one of those grouchy men who only cared about accomplishing a mission. Well, aren't all captains like this? The fact that when in cryo sleep only him, the captain and Richard are active makes him feel uneasy.

"One week and I already miss talking to someone else..."he told himself. 

He spotted the captain and saluted. The captain saluted back. He felt that the captain suddenly became a changed man. "You don't have to keep saluting every time you see me Luke. Especially since we're the only people active once the Spartans are in cryo sleep" 

Luke let himself loose a little. "So I suppose we're going to talk about how the hell we're going to take down that Covenant ship sir.

"Yes, that ship out there is a super CCS-class battlecruiser. It's a whole lot bigger than us, but we've got the element of surprise. That thing doesn't even know we're here. I would like it to remain that way."

"So how are we going to take it down?"

"We don't. We send in Spartans. Divide the Spartans into two groups, send one group to defend the planet and send one group to board that ship. Richard will personally control the Covenant ship and use it to destroy remaining Covenant ground forces. If the Spartans are really as good as the stories say. That shouldn't be a problem."

Luke could only grin. He liked the plan but he wasn't sure it would work. 

Edited by Santazer
  • Like 1

I've read those posts and it's really interesting.So this is something like your upcoming comic book,to be more precise you're talking about making a book?Do you think you will be able to merge your Halo story into Halo franchise,even if it's just a Fan fic?

If you ask me,there's maybe little chance for that because it still talks about Covenant,Spartans & UNSC.Only problem is,would it take place between earlier games or could it be just something brand new in Halo series?

Of course these are just my opinions since this topic is only about fan book.For now all eyes are on Chief,Cortana,Arbiter & Agent Locke.Anyway you have my great support!

• Like 1

I don't have any plans of publishing it since I'm writing it for fun. It will definitely be long and will start at the human-covenant war and reach the present story. I won't be tying this up with the main Halo story but will focus more on the sideline characters. The headhunters in particular have intrigued me since I read about them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jake double checked his weapon of choice,the Battle Rifle, to make sure it won't malfunction in the middle of a firefight. He noticed that it seemed to be a more upgraded version of the battle rifle he was used to. 

As a headhunter, Jake and Josh did several missions to prove their worth. They were simple spec ops, and it has been a long time since he engaged the Covenant head on. He was told that the other headhunters were given similar missions. Once they have proven themselves, they were going to be sent on more dangerous missions. This is probably another one of those missions, he told himself. Nonetheless, he knew the missions were getting harder and harder after every success. He knew they were prepared for anything though.

Being a headhunter gave them privileges. He has access to advanced weaponry that is too expensive for the use of the everyday marine. This includes the energy disruptor, a hand held grenade like weapon that should be handled with care since it disables any Covenant plasma weapon, electrical device and energy shield it s EMP comes into contact with. Their armour is also designed especially for them. It's the same armour the Spartan IIs wear but a little bit modified for Spartan IIIs such as him. It has been given active camouflage,which is reversed engineered from Covenant technology and is probably a prototype. It also has a VISR function. He also had access to special weapons, most of which are prototypes. These include the razor, a sniper rifle like weapon that fires a long bullet that explodes 5 seconds after contact. It is supposed to be used for anti-vehicle purposes only, but Josh uses it for anti-infantry too. It was probably Josh's favourite weapon. Another weapon is the sticky detonator. It fires a bullet that sticks and explodes like the plasma grenade. 

He saw Josh ditch his active camo module for an armour lock module. Spartans could lock their armour anytime but this device makes armour lock stronger and has been known to withstand almost anything. It only lasts for a few seconds though, and when it deactivates it sends out some EMP that can be a double edged sword. It is practically a bad idea to use it at all, but Josh seemed to be fond of it. "Remember, always choose armour lock kids." Josh said while tossing an armour lock module at Jake. 

"You know I hate this" Jake said while tossing the module back at Josh. Josh simply returned it from where he got it. 

"One day, you'll understand why I like this" Josh said

"One day, you'll understand how useless it is once you get your brains blown off while looking cool once it deactivates." Jake replied.

Josh was armed with a Razor and a Spartan laser while he had a battle rifle and a magnum. They looked around and saw that their fellow Spartans were armed and ready to go too. They were now just waiting for further orders. Waiting to blow up some Covenant brains. That is, if they had any. 

Edited by Santazer
  • Like 1

Chapter 3:

Private Lance reloaded his battle rifle as he prepared to take down more of those little aliens. There were 50 marines just 2 hours ago, but now there are 20. They were protecting a barn where the farmers were told to evacuate to. He signed up to protect some farmers, hoping for a peaceful life here. Instead, he thinks he signed up for an ET special suicide mission.

They only had 2 warthogs and both are now scrap metal. These aliens just came out of nowhere. The planet didn’t have contact with any other UNSC forces for years. Maybe the UNSC left us here to rot?

“Private, stay sharp! These ETs are stronger than they look.” his commanding officer, Sergeant Harold told him.

They’ve been fighting small aliens and crocodile like aliens for some time now. He was surprised to see another alien. It was a tall alien with 4 mandibles. It wore blue armour that seemed to be protected by some kind of shield. Bullets seemed to be deflected by it like it was nothing.  Never in his life did he feel so weak.

“Don’t lose hope; we have to keep them out of the barn! The villagers depend on us!” Harold was being motivational, and this motivated Lance.

He threw a grenade and it exploded on the tall alien. It seemed to have knocked off its shield. Do these aliens have genders? He asked himself.

Curiosity would have to wait; he has to take down these aliens first.

Suddenly, an alien ship flew over them and shot the barn where the farmers are being held. The ship dropped off more tall aliens and they seemed to have a blue sword.

“Quick, get inside the barn!”Harold yelled. The small aliens were all down and only the tall one remained. Lance didn’t have to be told, he shot the tall alien and its shields seemed to have come back. He threw another grenade and shot it on its head. It fell on the ground.

“At least we know they’re not immortal.” Lance said while running towards the barn.

“Good job private” Harold replied.

He saw the tall aliens chasing the farmers. His fellow marines threw grenades on them. Close enough to knock off the tall aliens’ shields, but far enough to prevent farmers from getting killed.

All the marines shot the tall aliens and they were all down within a minute. He felt relieved, but this didn’t last.

Out of nowhere, 10 of his marine allies were impaled by what seems like invisible swords. Everyone panicked and begun shooting. Some looked like they were hitting something, but it was no use. A blue grenade exploded and killed 5 more marines.

“All farmers run as fast as you can!” Harold yelled while shooting his assault rifle everywhere.

Lance decided to keep calm and focus, but he was hit by something. It hit him very hard, but he didn’t feel like he was dying. He was being unconscious.

He struggled to stay awake, but his vision blurred. The last thing he saw was Harold being chocked by a tall alien in red armour. It then proceeded to impale Harold using a red version of the sword he saw the blue armoured ones using.  

• Like 1

The UNSC Nightlight only has 2 Pelicans in the hangar. They didn’t have a pilot too, so Richard would have to drive the Pelicans himself.

Jake wasn’t sure if that was going to work. The AI might malfunction and bring them all to oblivion, but the Captain managed to assure them that Richard can pilot a Pelican better than most UNSC pilots.

Oh well, guess I have to trust the Captain then.....

“Are you all ready for your flight?” Richard appeared out of nowhere. Jake knows that the AI is practically the ship itself, but he didn’t know that it could appear everywhere it desired. It even speaks now like everyone in the ship has known each other for years.

He saw Josh speaking to another Spartan. It was Kyle. Kyle and Josh practically almost have the same attitude, so they get along very well. Jake wondered why the two of them weren’t paired instead, but he already knew the reason.

Kyle’s partner was Mark, a silent Spartan like himself. The two pairs were rivals during training, and that carried on until actual missions.

“First one to complete their mission wins...” Jake over heard Kyle talking to Josh and Josh looked like he already accepted the challenge. 

“Hope you’re all prepared because we have to leave right now!” The sergeant came out of nowhere and interrupted everything that was happening. The Spartans were briefed on what to do by Richard, so they all got to their assigned Pelicans.

They were assigned on the Pelican going to Honeywell and rescue as much as they can, while Kyle and Mark were assigned on the Pelican that was going to the Covenant ship and hijacking it. The sergeant was coming with the one going to Honeywell.

He was still unsure if the AI was capable of piloting the Pelican. It was given stealth abilities like almost all ONI tech does so it won’t be detected so easily. Maybe it won’t be detected at all. The question is: does it have the fire power once it does get detected?

“Fasten your seatbelts boys we’re taking off!” Richard had a rather jolly tone despite all that was happening.

The takeoff was smooth and Richard seemed to have control of almost everything. Josh was seated in front of him and the Sarge was on his right side. He wondered what was happening outside. Josh was rather silent, maybe because it was the presence of the Sarge?

He lost track of time until he heard a loud bang. The back of the Pelican opened and they all jumped out without being told to. They were on an area full of burning crops and equipment. He saw dead grunts, jackals and marines, and a few phantom wreckages. Was Richard the one who took them all down? He was informed that the planet had no defence against ships, so that must be the case. He must’ve drifted away in thought when Richard was taking them down.

Suddenly, he was back on the field. Josh was beside him taking down the Covenant with his Razor. The other Head hunters were working in pairs and taking Covenant scum down. He saw the Sergeant in a distance firing at them too. “About time you woke up from your trance. Have you been day dreaming again?” Josh knew him too well.

Something from a far blew up that took Josh’s attention. It took Jake some time to notice that it was another Phantom. He saw a wraith from a far but it all blew up. It was a direct hit on its weak spot from Richard. “Damn, Richard knows how to shoot” 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Josh fired his Razor at an elite major from afar. He was momentarily stunned by the “gorgeous” view. He couldn’t believe how things seem a lot easier when 5 headhunter teams worked together since at most, only two teams worked together for big missions. Combine that with an AI who seems to have a 100% accuracy in a pelican, and you have yourself a lethal combination.

Jake seemed to have snapped off at what he was thinking about earlier. He was now being the hyper lethal Spartan he is. Only a few Spartans are known to be hyper lethal. Josh wished he was, but he was just glad his partner was Jake.

There were now only a few Covvies left standing. A few elites with a major were holding their position in front of barn entrance. It was only approximately a few meters away, but 2 teams are on their way to take it down.

Aside from that, not much left here. The others were taking down the remaining survivors so he didn't have to do anything. He wouldn't bother wasting shots on grunts. People have told him that his choice of weapons was terrible and that a Spartan Laser with a Razor is the worst combo you could have. Josh just didn't care.

“All clear, no more hostiles detected”, Richard said through the coms.

“Ricky, how’s the ship hijack going?” the sarge asked.

“We’re working on it. No casualties yet, and I’ll make sure it remains that way.”

Josh wanted to win his bet with Kyle. He checked his remaining rounds. 6 more rounds, that means 6 more shots. I shouldn’t have wasted them on basic Covenant infantry. Spartan laser is still full though.

Josh went to where Jake was standing. The sarge was talking to Richard in the coms.

“How much ammo do you have left, Jakey?

“2 more magazines left for my battle rifle. Magnum is completely out. Not much use for it now.” Jake then dropped the magnum and proceeded to look for weapons.

For a while, Josh took some time to look at what the Covenant has done to the planet. Fields were burning, infrastructures and silos destroyed, black soil scattered everywhere and the artificial lake he kept hearing about when he was a kid looked dead. He saw wrecked vehicles and dead bodies, both human and Covenant alike. He could now only imagine how the place looked like before. The only structure left standing was a barn. It was made out of some metal alloy, and it was huge. That’s probably where harvested crops were stored. Behind the red barn is probably where the ships land. Thing is, why were there some Covenant guarding the entrance?

“Sarge, I think I know where we might find some survivors” Josh approached the sergeant.

“You’re thinking of that big red barn too aren't ya?  Well, I was just discussing plans with Richard here. Just making sure we get out of this planet fast once the ship hijack fails. Time to move! Squad one and two you’re with me! Squad 3, 4 and 5, search the area for possible undetected survivors. You know what to do if it’s Covenant.”

“Copy that” Almost everyone said.

Josh has completely forgotten that he and Jake is squad one until now.

Jake approached their location along with squad two behind him. He seems to be holding an Assault rifle that looked like an old version of it.

“You know that thing might not even be able to pierce even the lowest elite’s shields right?”

“It’s better than an empty weapon”

“There are lots of Covenant weapons around”

“I don’t like Covenant weapons”

“Follow me into the barn. Richard didn't detect anything, but let’s hope there are at least a few survivors.” the Sarge said. He then nodded and sprinted towards the barn. The Spartans followed.

It was hard sprinting behind the sergeant. The Spartans could easily out run him, but they didn’t out of respect.

The bodies of the fallen elites protecting it were still there. They walked pass them. There was a wrecked Warthog just behind the gate. The sight behind it was very unsettling. A lot of Covenant bodies were on the ground, mostly grunts and jackals. He saw a few elite minors though, but no majors. A midst the Covenant bodies were those of marines. And there are a lot of them.

“We should’ve arrived earlier” the sarge said. The Spartans were just silent. Even Josh could not bring himself to speak. He remembered when the Covenant attacked his planet. He remembered the sight of his family dying. He clenched his fist in anger. 

The barn has a huge metal automatic door as the entrance. The door was broken and some parts of it were melted. The barn looked bigger on the inside. Josh waited for the sarge to enter when an energy sword activated behind him.

It was red and this made Josh feel uneasy. He activated his AV cam and so did the other Spartans. It was a lot better than the previous version and now power isn't a problem.

What he saw through it made him shiver. There were 5 elites in front and behind them. They seem to wear armour he has never seen before. It couldn't have been customized since the Covenant didn't do that from what he heard.

“****, motion detectors should have detected them a while ago” Matthew, a member of squad two said.

Before Josh or anyone could say a word, the elite with the drawn sword said: “Demon, you shouldn't have come” 

Edited by Frankenzer

Announcement: I'll be editing some of the previous stories since I'm not satisfied with them. I also changed my story format a bit. Once I edit something I'll let you guys know :D

April 7, 2550

Time: 15:07

Jake looked in front of him, AV cam activated. 5 elites with strange highly decorative but also cool looking armour. He wanted to look behind him where the sound of an activated energy sword came from, but his instincts told him otherwise. One glance behind him, and one of the elites might try to kill him. He just assumed that there were more elites behind them.

The sergeant was in front of him, rifle ready to fire. Jake knew that the sergeant stood little to no chance fighting the elites in CQC, so he readied one of his power disruptors. One of this will keep shields down for at least 5 minutes and will drain power from weapons completely. He knew he had to have a precise aim, or it will drain their shields and weapons as well. Human weapons can still fire without electricity and the like, but that means his suit won’t be able to connect with the weapon. Thus, that means no ammo monitor and reticle. That will make everything harder. Frag grenades also lose their timer ability and will explode in 3 seconds upon throwing. A faulty throw will make everything harder.

“****, motion detectors should have detected them earlier!” one of the Spartans of squad two said. Jake considered the fact that their motion detectors were highly enhanced to detect even cloaking.

“Demon, you shouldn’t have come. Look around you, soon you will be just like them.” an elite from behind said.

He looked around, and he wanted to kick himself for not noticing earlier. A lot of elite corpses lay on the ground, but there were more marine bodies here. Most of them were impaled by swords. Further in the barn lay a lot of civilian corpses. They were truly too late. This was a slaughter.

“We couldn’t save them. We were too late.” the sergeant said. Jake broke in before he could say more. “How many elites behind us?” he asked.

“There are 5 here” replied Josh.

“That’s all I need” Jake replied. He was really angry inside.

The elites in front of him activated their swords. They were red in colour but he couldn’t care less. Elites usually deactivate their cloaking once they draw a weapon. He was told that it was part of their code of honour. These elites however, didn’t.

“Do not engage until I say so” the sergeant said.

Jake saw an energy sword just a few inches from where he was standing. He knew if he wanted to stand a chance against five elites from behind and in front of him he had to use it, even though he hates using Covenant weapons.

“Do not fear demon, your strength shall be remembered. We shall tell your comrades outside how brave you fought once we have disarmed them.” the elite behind of him said.

So they know of the others outside, huh? Why didn’t they help their allies when they were dying?

“Take those down those behind you, Jake” Jeremiah the other member of squad two said in a whisper tone.

“Copy that” Jake replied.

He heard swords activate behind him. “Engage!” the sergeant said before he leapt sideways firing his rifle. He heard the sound of a fired razor behind him. An elite charged toward with a lot of speed. Jake immediately reacted by dropping the old assault rifle and grabbing the sword. The blue sword connected with the red one. Another elite came running toward him. He grabbed his combat knife with his left hand and plunged it at the elite’s neck. He felt the very strong energy shields of the elite try to oppose the knife but it was no use. The knife was made from a very expensive metal that kept the shield’s melting ability to a minimum. Any metal would have been disintegrated before it reached the elite. He also had to make sure not to go too fast since the faster the projectile, the easier the shield gets rid of them. A thrown knife wouldn’t work as well since without the Spartan’s strength backing it up, the shield deflects it.

The elite he stabbed didn’t flinch. He tore the knife down to its neck and he it seemed to have done the trick. The elite fell as soon as the other came close. Matthew fired at it. Its shields withstood the combined assault of 2 assault rifles. Jake prepared to swing his sword as the other elites came dashing to help their comrade.

Jake swung his sword quickly and the elite’s shields dropped. He dashed towards Josh is. 3 elites were bearing down on him, his armour lock activated. The elites readied their swords as the armour lock was about to expire. Josh was about to get in a very tight situation. Jeremiah was fighting 2 elites and he seems to be having a hard time. The elites were simply too fast.

He heard assault rifle fire behind him and something dropping. An elite grabbed Jeremiah by the neck, sword ready to impale him. Josh’s armour lock expired, sending an emp that knocked off the 3 elite’s shields for the mean time. Jake didn’t hesitate. He dashed towards the elite grabbing Jeremiah and slashed off its arms with the sword. He was so fast that the elite was surprised. He then slashed the armless elite vertically in the torso and it fell.

Jeremiah quickly dashed to help out Matthew and the Sarge while Jake tackled the other elite backing up the one he just took down. He then took the fallen elite’s sword and dual wielded it. He saw Josh about to be lunged at.

He quickly went in between then and blocked the elite with one sword and slashed it with the other. The red sword seemed stronger but slightly slower than its blue counterpart since it broke the elite’s shield in one hit and it slashed a horizontal wound into its torso. He then impaled the elite as Josh fired his razor at the elites behind the now fallen elite.

“Damn, those shields are tough. Razor can’t even kill them in one hit” Josh said.

Jake has just noticed that the elite’s weird armour seemed to go with its surroundings. It was metal gray when the elites were in front of the barn’s wrecked scrap metal and now it is red, mimicking the barn’s red interior paint.

“Demon, I am impressed. The last time we fought your comrades, no one managed to kill our brothers. They only died when the last one standing decided to kill himself by fire and take our brothers with him.”

6 elites are left standing and Jake had no idea what they were talking about. Maybe those were the Spartan IIs or the Alpha company headhunters. Whatever they were, doesn’t matter now. He now knows that this wasn’t the first time someone encountered these elites. They just didn’t live to tell the tale. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...