Stop creating clans!

NZ Sol

Everyone needs to stop creating clans and start joining existing ones, if this happens then everyone with skill will not have it thrown away by some useless "leader". If people are into fun enjoyable clans/groups, find a group who is like this, if you are competitive, join a clan with a competitive basis. Do some research. Find exactly how many clans there are on xbox, I'm sure one of them will be thinking the same way as you when it comes to running a clan.

Edited by Absolute Dog
Moved to the General Discussion. Does not belong in Clan Invitations and Advertising.
  • Like 1

The only problem is everyone is different. It gets frustrating jumping from clan to clan to the point where you want to make your own. Why not have both community and competitive everyone wins there but as far as how leadership is run is a different story, but people should be able to express how they feel and hope some change comes to them.

not even in the Hayabusa Ninja Clan?

Clans that do specific things or make you wear certain armors are just...-1. Clans that maybe require an emblem or tag, okay. But clans are always going on about all these rules, gatherings, etc. Clans used to be cool MM gatherings. Now its all about which one's better, how to play fun customs, etc.

Thats why I love the clan I'm in. No stupid @ss strict rules and the only thing you need to change is your emblem. Matter of fact thats the only rule to the group I'm with. And we most deff are not cocky and think we are better than other clans.

Clans have become ridiculous nowadays. Everyone is creating one, everyone is joining one, and most are just...I don't know what they are. Clans have been ruined. I don't roll in clans anymore.

<implying that they haven't always been ridiculous.

<implying that only select individuals created clans in the past instead of everyone and their mother having one.

<implying that clans were ever really relevant to begin with.

:P lol

• Like 2

I was real big in the clanning scene (is that even a thing?) way back during the late 90s/early 2k. Back then there were still a lot of clans in successful games, such as Unreal Tournament which is where I hung out a lot. Even then there were mandatory meetings, schedules, etc. But that's simply because the groups I joined were focused on competing against other clans. We were extremely competitive, and as such we needed to schedule when we could all spend a few hours to come up with strategies on various maps, hone our skills with various weapons, get some constructive criticism, etc. (well, those of us who were competing anyway.) Meetings are a good method of getting everyone together if you've got a lot of players in different time zones.

At some point between then and now little Timmy decided to make a clan, and then his buddy made their own clan, and now today we have a crap ton of clans with people running them who frankly don't have any place doing as such. Some of these self-proclaimed "leaders" get it in their head that their role as a clan leader is to dictate what the members do, when they do them, etc. In the end they either get people who kiss their boots or leave the group entirely. Normally when a split happens, the people who left form yet another guild. Running a clan isn't all fun and games, it's more grunt work. You're the guy who gets to write a lot, advertise, schedule events, manage the members, promote the good ones to positions of authority while still keeping an eye on their activities to make sure they don't get delusions of grandeur. You also have the unfortunate task of dismissing someone, and often that individual could be a close friend of yours. (I've found the personal friends of clan leaders tend to think they can get away with a lot, and then make it a personal drama issue if the leader gets onto them.)

The few good clans I can find these days, all of which seem to reside on PC games, are so large that even they suck. At least in my opinion anyway. I want to get to know everyone, not just a few. I don't like niches in clans. The entire clan should be it's own niche. An online kinship, or brotherhood if you prefer that. At the same time, I like guilds who are active in helping the community. I hate it when clans exclude themselves from the rest of a community. Clans should be a perk. Something that increases the enjoyment of a game.

I believe if a clan truly succeeds and is good, then the clan continues to live on well after whatever game they supported has lost it's fire. Good clans are really larger-than-usual friendships that interact with each other in video games. In a good clan, the role of the leader slowly diminishes because I feel the goal should be to stop recruiting once you get large enough that you can do mostly anything in any game you'd choose (excluding Zerging) without the need to worry about what another member does, because that member is an honorable game with courtesy and respect. But these new kids, they don't get that. They seem to think the amount of power they have increases, rather than slowly becomes something in the background, used only when absolutely necessary.

Ugh, I wound up ranting somewhat. That said I love clans. But just the good ones. ;)