How long has halo 4 been in development?

Dominator

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank O'Connor said in an interview, maybe more than one actually, that Halo 4 has been in development for over two years. It will total in about 3 1/2 years or more of development, from when they started to release date.

well then they started in the end of 2007...like i said, do you forget its a FACT that bungie worked on halo 4 for a entire year? haha bro its almost 5 and could be six for all we know, i looked up what you said and there has been no report on ANYTHING from frank saying such a thing so if you would provide a link, otherwise i will assume your lieing due to the fact i could not find it and Joystick news did not know this either

3 years of developing in total is enough for a game. Look at Halo 3, it had also three years of developing and it was in my opinion a great game. Six years for one game is a bit long I think but maybe Frank means 2 years of very intensive work on the game and the other years for the story, ideas etc.

Yes, the "story, ideas etc." is all pre-production, done with a much smaller team.

When he says 2 years work, he's referring to actual production, excluding the earlier-stage planning.

Extra Credits finally got around to going over it

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3786-The-Pre-Production-Problem

@OP

No clue tbh... maybe flip-flopping back and forth the whole time, going back to Reach for Beta feedback?

Edit: For that matter, they probably even did some work on H4 when they were supposed to be working on Reach. Ex: "wow, this failed... let's NOT do it in H4" or "this would be good but we don't have enough time in Reach... put it on the H4 todo list."

Yes, the "story, ideas etc." is all pre-production, done with a much smaller team.

When he says 2 years work, he's referring to actual production, excluding the earlier-stage planning.

Extra Credits finally got around to going over it

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3786-The-Pre-Production-Problem

@OP

No clue tbh... maybe flip-flopping back and forth the whole time, going back to Reach for Beta feedback?

Edit: For that matter, they probably even did some work on H4 when they were supposed to be working on Reach. Ex: "wow, this failed... let's NOT do it in H4" or "this would be good but we don't have enough time in Reach... put it on the H4 todo list."

interesting

Might have been in development for a total of 7 years... you never know when they truly started it considering they keep things under the radar pretty darn well - Also would be a nice tribute to the one the only Bungie. :unworthy:

Here's to a new Era with 343 :w00t: 8)

Might have been in development for a total of 7 years... you never know when they truly started it considering they keep things under the radar pretty darn well - Also would be a nice tribute to the one the only Bungie. :unworthy:

Here's to a new Era with 343 :w00t: 8)

yep! haha i just go by whats been revealed by bungie and 343

Hey i dont know if anyone else marvels at the fact that halo 4 was so well hidden. and I for one want to know how long this secret was kept. I have a good idea of how long to. listen up because this is some interesting stuff!

Okey so in 2010 Bungie released a comment saying reach started production back in 2006 after halo 3 was in its production phases.(article i found at joystick) this was said because they were asked when they started and what made them want to do this. the full statment was that they originally wanted to start with halo 4(the game JUST announced now hint hint yall) but then whe they worked the deal with MS game studio and found they would be out of a "job" in 2010 they made a different project(mainly because MS owned 51 percent and they ORDERED bungie to change) this project was reach. but they had started the blue prints to halo 4 and then a few months later frank quit bungie. this was the first bungie member to leave. it was unknown were he was or why he left. this was made clear in 2008 when he reapeared. 343i went public and it was known that they existed for a year prior to halo waypoint being out.

It is now rumored by very reliable sources(especially joystick) that bungie MS took what bungie had done so far with halo 4 and 343 got to work. this makes plenty sense if you ask me. it is known now that 343 had many aplications sent in under the radar from bungie employees and other halo involved people from halos past. many jobs included graphic design and campagin missions. they also had the lead MP design aplications there as well.

with all these facts and all these rumors...it seems to me our favorite games new release when it is released will have been being made for a grand total of SIX YEARS! this is more than even the first halo(halo combat evolved was first thought of in 1997 when marathon was offically done for bungie and frank wanted to continue) I do belive that halo 4 will hands down be the greatest halo yet and i can not WAIT to see what 343 has to offer to us!

Please note not all of this is 100% fact there are some rumor(but again there reliable people) but i would love to hear from the fellow hardcore halo fans!!! ALSO I WANNA MAKE IT CLEAR I HAVE PLAYED HALO SINCE LITERALLY DAY ONE AND IM NOT A *** WHO CARES ABOT HOW LONG I JUST HAVE ALWAYS ADMIRED THEM FOR THE CARE THEY PUT INTO HALO!! lol so yeah im not worried bout nothing just pointing it out for future readers!

For awhile, to put it simply.