[Spoilers?] Are the New Halo 4 Enemies Actually Very Old Enemies?

Archangel Tyrael

The new enemy revealed via McFarlane toys packaging today, certainly looks like a totally new enemy at first glance. Following a little bit of digging the dark recesses of my memory, I think this may not be their first appearance in Halo.

[spoilers after the jump]

The Crawlers:

(Attention, i found this and i am quoting the person, my actual opinion of these things are nelkrons http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/8320-nelkrons-who-are-they-do-they-actually-exist/.)

crawler.jpg

I'm sure like me, your first thought was that this was a totally new addition to the Halo universe. After a little bit of thinking I remembered these guys:

Crawlers2.jpg

So far as I'm aware they're unnamed creatures that only ever appeared in the

There's certainly a very close resemblance between the creatures from '99 and the Crawlers we see today. Not identical, but then nothing in the E3 '99 demo made into the games without substantial changes. It's just my theory, but it'd be really cool if 343 were pulling in bits of long lost Halo lore like this.

• Like 6

crawler.jpg

I'm sure like me, your first thought was that this was a totally new addition to the Halo universe. After a little bit of thinking I remembered these guys:

Crawlers2.jpg

There's certainly a very close resemblance between the creatures from '99 and the Crawlers we see today. Not identical, but then nothing in the E3 '99 demo made into the games without substantial changes. It's just my theory, but it'd be really cool if 343 were pulling in bits of long lost Halo lore like this.

They do look a bit similar lol

Those creatures were actually recreated and put into Halo Reach, btw. :D

HaloReach-Guta.png

This is a Guta.

If you look closely, you'll notice the stub of the tail, they both have three "fingers", both have elongated lower teeth, and both are hairless.

The reason for this is because Bungie had been looking for a way to incorporate that creature into the game without adding to much of a "Are we fighting enemies or animals" feel to the game. So, they made them into a sort of "Boss" for the level Nightfall in Halo Reach.

The Guta also bears a surprising resemlance to a Drinol, another cut creation from Halo 2.

Drinolbig.jpg

It appears that the Guta is a mixture of the Blind Wolf (your picture) and the Drinol. :D

• Like 2

The new enemy revealed via McFarlane toys packaging today, certainly looks like a totally new enemy at first glance. Following a little bit of digging the dark recesses of my memory, I think this may not be their first appearance in Halo.

[spoilers after the jump]

The Crawlers:

(Attention, i found this and i am quoting the person, my actual opinion of these things are nelkrons http://www.343indust...actually-exist/.)

crawler.jpg

Crawlers2.jpg

I dont see similarities at all actually, 4 legs, 2 legs is the main difference to me, and while the crawler looks mechanical in a way the other one is obviously organic. I think the crawler is gonna end up being a mechanical representation of a big cat

im thinking is a forerunner created species and will not have to much of a perpose other then like wolves in age of empire, theyre probably just trying to expound the whole idea of a foreign planet more with other living things on it. ( i mean why is it that there are no species living where ever we visit but giant Biomes of plants) of course with the exeption of reaches creatures